Stock Biocube-32

MisterMoregore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody!

Ive been stalking these forums for a while as I started up by stock BioCube 32. It's been established for nearly a year now, and has been remarkably stable (except for a few complications thanks to unreliable chemical pH tests....long story)

Anyhow. Im looking for help deciding what corals to place on the top of my arch.

Right now I have - 2 pretty well established Zoanthid colonies on the top left, I just put in three small frags of Zoanthids on the top right of the arch. On the bottom of the arch I have a few mushrooms. In the sand bed in the rear I have Green Star Polyps on an island, Then in the front on an island I have Pulsing Xenia. If you have a really good eye you might spot what is left of a purple tip (hammer coral?) that I bought from petco. It was doing fine in the sand bed, then I put it on the rock formation on the lower right , and all the tips shrunk and died. I was about to pull it, when a small polyp started to grow, and now it looks like the whole top has small polyps starting to form, which react under the black light. I don't know if the coral is coming back to life, or if something else weird is happening.

My lighting schedule is
channel 1 10am-5pm
channel 2 5am-7pm
channel 3 6am-10pm

I recently started to spot feed the corals a combination of Red Sea A+B, as well as Reef Roids about three times a week.

Id like to get some more taller, flowing corals. I was debating putting in some neon Kenya trees on the top of the arch, in the center. Would the Zoanthids kill the Kenya trees? Or are they pretty hardy?

Also, Gorgonians look pretty cool, but some sites say they are for beginners, while others say otherwise. I thought I might add those behind the rock formation.

Id like to get more mushrooms inside the coral arch, and one day when Im a little more dialed in, some sun corals.

Any expert thoughts on what will work with my current layout?

For reference,
For livestock I have Four Chromis, Two clowns, a Purple dotty back, and the Blue/Yellow Damselfish. Additionally I have some snails, blue legged hermits, two red legged hermit, and an emerald crab. All of the livestock seem to get along pretty well.

For filtration I have the coalife protein skimmer in chamber 1, in chamber 2 I have an in tank media basket - Im using filter floss on top, with puragin, Cheato in the middle, and Chemipure blue on the bottom. In chamber 3 I have fluval bio filter rings.

1696689340166.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stalking for stocking, huh? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Your zoas/palys are probably going to take ofer the entire top of the arch, so I'd probably just stick with a variety of those along the top of the arch and let nature sort out which colonies spread, prosper, etc.

banasophia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Photosynthetic gorgonians are easy/beginner corals… I would definitely recommend them. Also could do clove polyps, rock flower anemones, candy cane corals (my favorites are the larger polyp ones), pipe organs, sinularia, knopia. Kenya tree is so pretty but high maintenance because they drop branches all over the place to spread, so you have to pull them out during water changes.

Sun corals would look awesome on the underside of your arch, but also higher maintenance. You can check out my Biocube 16 on Instagram or Nano-reef for an idea on how to do sun corals. For a similar but easier coral you could try to get some dendros instead… they stay open most of the time so they are easier to keep fed.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody!

Ive been stalking these forums for a while as I started up by stock BioCube 32. It's been established for nearly a year now, and has been remarkably stable (except for a few complications thanks to unreliable chemical pH tests....long story)

Anyhow. Im looking for help deciding what corals to place on the top of my arch.

Right now I have - 2 pretty well established Zoanthid colonies on the top left, I just put in three small frags of Zoanthids on the top right of the arch. On the bottom of the arch I have a few mushrooms. In the sand bed in the rear I have Green Star Polyps on an island, Then in the front on an island I have Pulsing Xenia. If you have a really good eye you might spot what is left of a purple tip (hammer coral?) that I bought from petco. It was doing fine in the sand bed, then I put it on the rock formation on the lower right , and all the tips shrunk and died. I was about to pull it, when a small polyp started to grow, and now it looks like the whole top has small polyps starting to form, which react under the black light. I don't know if the coral is coming back to life, or if something else weird is happening.

My lighting schedule is
channel 1 10am-5pm
channel 2 5am-7pm
channel 3 6am-10pm

I recently started to spot feed the corals a combination of Red Sea A+B, as well as Reef Roids about three times a week.

Id like to get some more taller, flowing corals. I was debating putting in some neon Kenya trees on the top of the arch, in the center. Would the Zoanthids kill the Kenya trees? Or are they pretty hardy?

Also, Gorgonians look pretty cool, but some sites say they are for beginners, while others say otherwise. I thought I might add those behind the rock formation.

Id like to get more mushrooms inside the coral arch, and one day when Im a little more dialed in, some sun corals.

Any expert thoughts on what will work with my current layout?

For reference,
For livestock I have Four Chromis, Two clowns, a Purple dotty back, and the Blue/Yellow Damselfish. Additionally I have some snails, blue legged hermits, two red legged hermit, and an emerald crab. All of the livestock seem to get along pretty well.

For filtration I have the coalife protein skimmer in chamber 1, in chamber 2 I have an in tank media basket - Im using filter floss on top, with puragin, Cheato in the middle, and Chemipure blue on the bottom. In chamber 3 I have fluval bio filter rings.

1696689340166.jpeg
Your tank is nearly full! Id recommend some purple/regular firefish, yellowman watchman gobies, not sure if this will work but a six line wrasse would be pretty cool. Id also recommend a skunk shrimp! Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back