Stocking List / Order for 5 ft 130 gal

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Finally have the tank up and cycling. Wanted to throw my stocking plan out there for some feedback.

I also have a 13.5 gallon QT tank setup. Plan to get the 2 clownfish this weekend and QT them for 3 weeks while the tank finishes cycling. At completion of cycle I plan to add the clowns to the DT and start my refugium in the sump (chaeto, ecopods and phytoplankton).

Here's the fish order. Approximately 3 weeks between each new addition (once one goes in the DT, the next goes in QT).

1. (2x) Ocellaris Clownfish
2. One Spot Foxface
3. 2-Spot Bristletooth Tang
4. Diamond Watchmen Goby
5. Coral Beauty Angel
6. Longnose Butterfly
7. Flame Angel
8. Starry Blenny
9. 6-Line Wrasse
10. Regal Blue Tang
11. Purple Tang

Assuming all of these go well for a year or so, I'll want to try my hand at some more difficult fish (mandarin dragonette, Copperband or Regal Angel).

No immediate plans for coral, but after several months I'm going to try and turn this into a mixed tank starting with easier softies and LPS.

I'm not sure when and how many to add for the cleanup crew. Still figuring that part out. Looking at blue-leg hermits, trochus snails, nassarius snails, cerith snails, sally lightfoot crab, emerald crab, sand sifting starfish, skunk cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, then maybe another type of starfish or a lettuce sea slug.

Any criticisms / feedback welcome. I'm a complete newbie.

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a fan of six-line wrasse but they can be a bully as they get older. Maybe yellow wrasse as alt. Some call them yellow coris wrasse, but wrasse guys say they are not really a coris and should not be referred to that way. :)

Also, I have been told to consider adding tangs as a group once you finalize your list.

OP
OP
C

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got 2 potentially non reef-safe fish in your list, just FYI. Personally I might pass on the last two tangs.
The butterfly and flame angel? I might drop the butterfly. I really want to try the flame angel though. It's my favorite fish.

OP
OP
C

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a fan of six-line wrasse but they can be a bully as they get older. Maybe yellow wrasse as alt. Some call them yellow coris wrasse, but wrasse guys say they are not really a coris and should not be referred to that way. :)

Also, I have been told to consider adding tangs as a group once you finalize your list.
I worry about the wrasse attacking my cleanup crew.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Finally have the tank up and cycling. Wanted to throw my stocking plan out there for some feedback.

I also have a 13.5 gallon QT tank setup. Plan to get the 2 clownfish this weekend and QT them for 3 weeks while the tank finishes cycling. At completion of cycle I plan to add the clowns to the DT and start my refugium in the sump (chaeto, ecopods and phytoplankton).

Here's the fish order. Approximately 3 weeks between each new addition (once one goes in the DT, the next goes in QT).

1. (2x) Ocellaris Clownfish
2. One Spot Foxface
3. 2-Spot Bristletooth Tang
4. Diamond Watchmen Goby
5. Coral Beauty Angel
6. Longnose Butterfly
7. Flame Angel
8. Starry Blenny
9. 6-Line Wrasse
10. Regal Blue Tang
11. Purple Tang

Assuming all of these go well for a year or so, I'll want to try my hand at some more difficult fish (mandarin dragonette, Copperband or Regal Angel).

No immediate plans for coral, but after several months I'm going to try and turn this into a mixed tank starting with easier softies and LPS.

I'm not sure when and how many to add for the cleanup crew. Still figuring that part out. Looking at blue-leg hermits, trochus snails, nassarius snails, cerith snails, sally lightfoot crab, emerald crab, sand sifting starfish, skunk cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, then maybe another type of starfish or a lettuce sea slug.

Any criticisms / feedback welcome. I'm a complete newbie.
First off;
If you plan to have those fish and then add a Copperband Butterfly, drop the CBB altogether. The likelihood is that the purple will just murder the CBB and not let it into its territory (which will by then most likely be the whole 5’ tank). Another issue with the Copperband, if you add it after the Longnose you may be risking another lot of aggression. I’ve had these two species cohabitate but it’s hard and you want to add them together IME.

The Diamond Watchman Goby is a bad idea without knowing depth of sandbed and how mature you’ll have the tank be before adding one (I’d aim for 2-3 years of maturity with most areas being 3-4” of sand).

The two Dwarf Angels (Coral Beauty and Flame) will also want to be added together. Mixing Dwarf Angels can go horribly wrong and if you let a CB establish for too long, chances are it can become somewhat aggressive towards another dwarf Angel.

Six Line Wrasse is a no go. This thing will murder most small fish (blennies, gobies, dragonets etc.). Go for a species of Halichoeres, I’d personally go for Halichoeres leucoxanthus or Halichoeres iridis. These two wrasses will do the same job and not put your CUC at too much risk.

I’d then personally only have a maximum of 2 tangs, I’d avoid the Regal as these can become rather aggressive and also are more prone to ich. The other two are less prone to ich but the purple can become rather aggressive and may be an issue when introducing the later fish (specifically the CBB or Regal Angel).

OP
OP
C

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off;
If you plan to have those fish and then add a Copperband Butterfly, drop the CBB altogether. The likelihood is that the purple will just murder the CBB and not let it into its territory (which will by then most likely be the whole 5’ tank). Another issue with the Copperband, if you add it after the Longnose you may be risking another lot of aggression. I’ve had these two species cohabitate but it’s hard and you want to add them together IME.

The Diamond Watchman Goby is a bad idea without knowing depth of sandbed and how mature you’ll have the tank be before adding one (I’d aim for 2-3 years of maturity with most areas being 3-4” of sand).

The two Dwarf Angels (Coral Beauty and Flame) will also want to be added together. Mixing Dwarf Angels can go horribly wrong and if you let a CB establish for too long, chances are it can become somewhat aggressive towards another dwarf Angel.

Six Line Wrasse is a no go. This thing will murder most small fish (blennies, gobies, dragonets etc.). Go for a species of Halichoeres, I’d personally go for Halichoeres leucoxanthus or Halichoeres iridis. These two wrasses will do the same job and not put your CUC at too much risk.

I’d then personally only have a maximum of 2 tangs, I’d avoid the Regal as these can become rather aggressive and also are more prone to ich. The other two are less prone to ich but the purple can become rather aggressive and may be an issue when introducing the later fish (specifically the CBB or Regal Angel).
Thank you. I appreciate the detailed response.

For the CBB, I'll see how my tank is doing and if I'm up for the challenge at the time, but I would make sure to add them before the Tangs.

Appreciate the comment on the Goby. I didn't realize they need a deep sand bed. My is around 1.25" or so. I would like some kind of sand sifting fish. I'll look for other options.

I'll add the 2 dwarf angels together. I think this tank is big enough to have two. Any concerns with them in a small QT together for the first couple weeks?

Appreciate the suggestions on the wrasses. For me this is kind of a filler fish and not as important.

For the tangs, I was under the impression the purple tang would be the most of aggressive of them. I will probably go the purple route over the regal for the reasons you mentioned plus the regal may outgrow this tank.

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the goby in a smaller sand bed but I would recommend more than 1.25" and also wait till at least until you have something in the sand bed to sift (3-6 months).

If you want to get any dragonette down the line then avoid most wrasses. Some are not as aggressive but they will knock out the mandarin's food source even if they are eating food that you feed. I battle with the same choice, wrasses have some good purpose in the tank with pests and what not but there's not much nicer looking things than a mandarin thriving in a tank.

I've had a coral beauty and a flame together and I introduced them to the tank like you did. Coral beauty first, then flame later. I aslo did get a young coral beauty and then made just to get a flame angel that was about the same size as the coral beauty. The flame can even be a little smaller and I don't think you'll have any issues if you have an aquascape that will keep them entertained.

I'm also starting a new tank and will be doing almost the same start. QT this week. two clowns, frost or snowflake. I like how you are planning to do your sump with ecopods and phytoplankton. Are you going to be running a protein skimmer? what sump are you using? I am going to do a refugium but have not decided when to start it.

Post some pics once you get those clowns going!

OP
OP
C

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the goby in a smaller sand bed but I would recommend more than 1.25" and also wait till at least until you have something in the sand bed to sift (3-6 months).

If you want to get any dragonette down the line then avoid most wrasses. Some are not as aggressive but they will knock out the mandarin's food source even if they are eating food that you feed. I battle with the same choice, wrasses have some good purpose in the tank with pests and what not but there's not much nicer looking things than a mandarin thriving in a tank.

I've had a coral beauty and a flame together and I introduced them to the tank like you did. Coral beauty first, then flame later. I aslo did get a young coral beauty and then made just to get a flame angel that was about the same size as the coral beauty. The flame can even be a little smaller and I don't think you'll have any issues if you have an aquascape that will keep them entertained.

I'm also starting a new tank and will be doing almost the same start. QT this week. two clowns, frost or snowflake. I like how you are planning to do your sump with ecopods and phytoplankton. Are you going to be running a protein skimmer? what sump are you using? I am going to do a refugium but have not decided when to start it.

Post some pics once you get those clowns going!
Hello. Everything is going well so far. Clowns have been in the big tank for about 2 weeks. I’m going to get a couple more fish today hopefully and also buy some pods and plankton.

My aquarium is a Waterbox 180.5. So the sump is whatever came in that. I have a Reef octo regal 150-sss skimmer.

Here’s some pics. Sorry, I have a ton of reflection. I still don’t have lights yet. Just leaving house lights in for them. Probably pick some up used soon or wait for Black Friday deals.

Attachments

• IMG_6303.mov
    27.7 MB
  • IMG_6304.jpeg
    IMG_6304.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6306.jpeg
    IMG_6306.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 28

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion when adding “Reef Safe with Caution” fish is to wait until you have bigger colonies of well established coral. If you add small frags after the fish “a little nibbling” will totally destroy that new coral where as with an established colony will, it will probably go unnoticed.

OP
OP
C

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion when adding “Reef Safe with Caution” fish is to wait until you have bigger colonies of well established coral. If you add small frags after the fish “a little nibbling” will totally destroy that new coral where as with an established colony will, it will probably go unnoticed.
Thank you. Appreciate that. I hadn’t given that part much though my honesty.

OP
OP
C

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
We just picked up our first two fish today! Can’t wait to put them in the big tank!
Here’s mine.
65EA92FA-5CD6-4204-842F-1A7CE69CB722.png
They look awesome!

I just got a purple firefish today. Was going to get a foxface too but the one they had looked like it was struggling. We’re gonna go somewhere else tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_6322.jpeg
    IMG_6322.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6326.jpeg
    IMG_6326.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 28

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back