Stray voltage

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering can stray voltage or current not sure how to word travel from sump to display through your return or overflow?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering can stray voltage or current not sure how to word travel from sump to display through your return or overflow?

Seawater conducts electricity very well, so yes it will travel through water if there is potential (like a ground).

You need to determine if you have "stray voltage" (induced voltage) or a defective piece of equipment with a short circuit.

Have you gotten a shock from the tank?
Is the tank's equipment plugged into a GFI outlet?

Jay

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never
Seawater conducts electricity very well, so yes it will travel through water if there is potential (like a ground).

You need to determine if you have "stray voltage" (induced voltage) or a defective piece of equipment with a short circuit.

Have you gotten a shock from the tank?
Is the tank's equipment plugged into a GFI outlet?

Jay
no I never got shocked I’m just wondering as I just got new mp40 and like the idea of wires out of main tank. So all my wires and everything are in sump now. Just trying to keep my live stock safe.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray voltage does not harm livestock. Many people blame it for mysterious deaths but have never offered proof that stray voltage is the cause. Tank inhabitants are not grounded so they are not affected by the voltage.
I know some people will disagree and if so please provide proof. I have had as much as 50 volts in a tank from leaking koralia powerheads and fish and corals were fine. The danger is to us not tank inhabitants.

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have voltage then you have water in contact with wire or something metal. Metals could leach into the water which can kill some live stock.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never

no I never got shocked I’m just wondering as I just got new mp40 and like the idea of wires out of main tank. So all my wires and everything are in sump now. Just trying to keep my live stock safe.
So you have no actual reason to be concerned, other than wires in the water?

The tank should be on a GFI, and if so, I'd move on to other worries. :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 126 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back