Stylophora tissue detatched

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, last week my stylo frag was not very happy and then I discovered that my alk had dropped down to around 6-6.5. I immediately lowered my lights and tried raising up to 8 in the following days. The coral is a bit bleached at one part of its base but nothing really serius. Ever since that day the polyp extention has returned to full troughout the day and the color at the base has gotten better (all of the branches kept their color). Today i returned from uni only to find out that the flesh at the top of one of the branches had detatched. This coral is only just a frag. There is a single seperate branch and another one that splits into 2 smaller branches. Algea growth on the exposed skeleton of the coral will definitely start in the next few days (my tank is not that old and brown algae still prevails, it is about 8 months old). The primary issue here is that I went through some type of velvet or ich and I still am in the no fish period. That means that my nutrients are really low which in return causes the coral's flesh to get thin. Nitrates at around 5ppm and phosphates <0.03ppm. I am trying to overfeed the tank (shrimps, hermis, snails e.t.c.) but it seems as if algae still gets all the nutrients. I have already acted and lowered my flow in the area of the frag.

In order to somehow prevent the spread of algae could I "patch" the top of the coral using epoxy or superglue as if it were the base of the coral? Then if things still go wrong I will be forced to frag the healthy parts. Is that a good idea? I searched about this but I found no answer anywhere. My problem is that the flesh detatched at the branch which splits into 2 branches. If I patch the exposed branch and the infection does not continue, I will save the other branch aswell.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pics under white light would be helpful
Some items that can cause this is:
Low alk
High temperature
Insufficient calcium
Low salinity
Too much flow
Light too bright
Immature tank
High phosphate

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1648747061959.jpg
1648747061944.jpg

Low alk
High temperature
Insufficient calcium
Low salinity
Too much flow
Light too bright
Immature tank
High phosphate

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to this.. Really serius imo.. The polyps are extended normally but this still happened..
Low alk
High temperature
Insufficient calcium
Low salinity
Too much flow
Light too bright
Immature tank
High phosphate

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are not high as I have lowered them ever since I had the alkalinity issue. They are definitely not the issue. My question still is what to do to this coral. Is "patching" a thing?
Low alk
High temperature
Insufficient calcium
Low salinity
Too much flow
Light too bright
Immature tank
High phosphate

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are not high as I have lowered them ever since I had the alkalinity issue. They are definitely not the issue. My question still is what to do to this coral. Is "patching" a thing?
Cut off that part if your worried. If you tank is ready to have these corals and its kept stable then the flesh will cover the fresh cut in a week or so. Honestly your tank still looks young to support sps. Many of us learn the hard way and blow a lot of money on these early corals to watch them slowly die. Hopefully I'm wrong and its something else, good luck!

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut off that part if your worried. If you tank is ready to have these corals and its kept stable then the flesh will cover the fresh cut in a week or so. Honestly your tank still looks young to support sps. Many of us learn the hard way and blow a lot of money on these early corals to watch them slowly die. Hopefully I'm wrong and its something else, good luck!
I know it is a bit early for sps, I just picked this frag for 12€ to give it a shot.. It is been there for about 1-2 months it was doing great till last week. I never expected a single sps frag to drop my alk from 9 to 6 in a weeks period in a 40gal which resulted to this.. I mainly focus on lps currently.. I am not actually that worried for the rest of the coral but I have not dealt with this before. If I cut the piece off dont I risk algae growth on the main skeleton? Should I cut it or just leave it as it is?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Stylo and pocci grow so fast it will cover itself

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its healthy the flesh will cover it before the algae takes hold. I doubt its just that one coral depleting your alk. Even the beginner sps like birdsnest stylos and picolopora need really stable systems. They can survive for a month or so in a immature system then rtn out of nowhere.... dont ask me how I know I dont like thinking back to all my losses early on.
I know it is a bit early for sps, I just picked this frag for 12€ to give it a shot.. It is been there for about 1-2 months it was doing great till last week. I never expected a single sps frag to drop my alk from 9 to 6 in a weeks period in a 40gal which resulted to this.. I mainly focus on lps currently.. I am not actually that worried for the rest of the coral but I have not dealt with this before. If I cut the piece off dont I risk algae growth on the main skeleton? Should I cut it or just leave it as it

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its healthy the flesh will cover it before the algae takes hold. I doubt its just that one coral depleting your alk. Even the beginner sps like birdsnest stylos and picolopora need really stable systems. They can survive for a month or so in a immature system then rtn out of nowhere.... dont ask me how I know I dont like thinking back to all my losses early on.
Literally the only corals currently in there are the stylo, a single head acan and a florida mushroom. I am expecting 2 more lps in the next few days. The acan shows no skeletal growth.. Below is the stylo about a month ago.. As you can see the growth is significant. The alk drop caught me by surprise as well.. Thanks for the tips.
1648749036134.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how your ALK could swing like this without an ALK consuming population of SPS. Perhaps it is really a swing in salinity? Maybe get some confirmation there to start.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK shouldn't just swing like that with nothing consuming it. That doesn't make much sense. Are you sure you didn't get a ton of fresh water dumped in from your ATO or something? What is your salinity?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back