sump

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An oxydator is a handy bit of kid hydrogen peroxide with the catalyst I have one in my sump

You can't say something off-the-wall (good) like that and not provide some kind of link or at least a pic! C'mon, man! :) :)

-Matt

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does too after about 12 weeks. So it gets done then. We don't have any cabinet so I hate people seeing filth. Lol sump is on display 24/7

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sock alone will stop water going through it when there's to much muck, it will over flow your whole sock and start to poor over it so how can there be flow going through your media at the bottom?
Unless you change your socks every 2-3 days it really a bad idea

Unless you really don't need the socks, it's a bad idea to let them go much longer than 2-3 days anyway.

http://www.marinedepot.com/freshwater_sochting_oxydator_information-ap.html

Somebody said it was like how ozone is .. I have to take their word for it... But in Europe apparently some guys have been using it for 20+ years with not a bad thing to say about it..

They claim in the video that it's oxygen in the output, which usually equals O2, rather than O or O3. Seems like that would be more akin to running a cordless airstone/airpump than it would be like dosing peroxide or ozone.

Ozone seems to have a peculiar smell....by chance have you detected anything that smells like ozone coming out of the oxidiser or off your tank?

Also sounds like it is rated for only a 5 or 10 gallon tank per catalyst tablet. (If those tablets get used up, then they aren't a "catalyst" but instead a reactant.) How big a system do you have yours running in and how many "catalysts" are you using and how long do they last?

-Matt

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you really don't need the socks, it's a bad idea to let them go much longer than 2-3 days anyway.

That's ok every 2-3 days I change them..

They claim in the video that it's oxygen in the output, which usually equals O2, rather than O or O3. Seems like that would be more akin to running a cordless airstone/airpump than it would be like dosing peroxide or ozone.

It is my understanding that it's not oxygen but activated oxygen.. Which is like o3 but not the same..

An air stone moves air to the top which is where the gasses are exchanged to oxygen..wave makers just use currents to promote that exchange... The oxydator apparently the claim is, oxygen is dissolved straight away into the water column which is why you get the benefits of added oxygen..

Ozone seems to have a peculiar smell....by chance have you detected anything that smells like ozone coming out of the oxidiser or off your tank?

Not ozone... Works in the same way..

Also sounds like it is rated for only a 5 or 10 gallon tank per catalyst tablet. (If those tablets get used up, then they aren't a "catalyst" but instead a reactant.) How big a system do you have yours running in and how many "catalysts" are you using and how long do they last?

-Matt

The tablets are everlasting after purchase oxydator.. You only have to buy hydrogen peroxide( oxydator solution) 6% or 18% as needed

I bought the oxydator d ( I think) which is only up to 100l :-( ( I have 260l system) so I asked the guy on their Facebook group.. Could I have 2 catalysts and double the the volume he said? It would be ok ..

I have an old link to a uk forum I'll try and put it up when I first stumbled on it..

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back