OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does- I had heard the 5x-10x for your return pump, but did not know how to calibrate wave makers into that, so that helps a ton.

I'm still seeing sediment this morning even after switching out my return pump, going to try the DIY Coral Snow again tonight and see if that helps.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does- I had heard the 5x-10x for your return pump, but did not know how to calibrate wave makers into that, so that helps a ton.

I'm still seeing sediment this morning even after switching out my return pump, going to try the DIY Coral Snow again tonight and see if that helps.
Of course rockscape has to factor into the flow equation also. A very open design will have more direct flow versus a heavy rockscape with a lot of corals where the flow is deflected in multiple directions so you have to consider this as you find your optimal flow for your tank. Tank design and shape is also a factor. For instance my flow might be set at 50x for SPS dominant mixed reef but I have a ton of rock and overstocked grown corals so I consider my net flow around the tank maybe 30 to 40x and this varies throughout the day to almost no flow all the way to harsh flow simulating ocean reef conditions. I have some dead zones on the bottom now because everything has filled in.

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your not getting micro bubbles? My return filter clogged and bam micro bubbles looked like dirty water

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been viewing your videos again. You have a nice rockscape desig. You have space to add some rock if you want and try and create more varied flow. Your torch is blowing hard all one direction. A small powerhead on the opposite side can also be used to bounce flow with the current powerhead to create multi direction flow. Do you have a Y shaped return or single nozzle?

OP
OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been viewing your videos again. You have a nice rockscape desig. You have space to add some rock if you want and try and create more varied flow. Your torch is blowing hard all one direction. A small powerhead on the opposite side can also be used to bounce flow with the current powerhead to create multi direction flow. Do you have a Y shaped return or single nozzle?

Do you have suggestions on where you would add more rock for a varied flow? My issue with the Biocube is that (because of the cube shape) I don't have a ton of room to work with in the front as the tank is deep. I have debated about grabbing another power head to balance it out.

My return is a single nozzle.

I'm still getting a bunch of sediment in my water even after reducing the return pump down to a 125gph.

I also went through the project of replacing my substrate from very fine sand (oolite) to special grade reef, thinking it would help the issue, but did not.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have suggestions on where you would add more rock for a varied flow? My issue with the Biocube is that (because of the cube shape) I don't have a ton of room to work with in the front as the tank is deep. I have debated about grabbing another power head to balance it out.

My return is a single nozzle.

I'm still getting a bunch of sediment in my water even after reducing the return pump down to a 125gph.

I also went through the project of replacing my substrate from very fine sand (oolite) to special grade reef, thinking it would help the issue, but did not.
Can you post a video of what your current flow looks like now and where your powerhead is? Is your return nozzle pointed right at the water surface?

OP
OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, return is right at the water surface. Trying to increase gas exchange to help boost pH. Definitely can see some bubbles if I look close enough, but it also looks to still have sediment.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.MOV
    28.7 MB

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, return is right at the water surface. Trying to increase gas exchange to help boost pH. Definitely can see some bubbles if I look close enough, but it also looks to still have sediment.
Ok looking at the torch sway the flow looks improved. Move your powerhead to the middle of your side panel and 3 inches below the water.

What GPH is it set at?

OP
OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved it. Video below.

Wavemaker is rated at 1600gph. I have it always at the lowest setting, 40% / 640 gph. I switch the flow pattern throughout the day.

Attachments

• IMG_4304.MOV
    12.7 MB

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved it. Video below.

Wavemaker is rated at 1600gph. I have it always at the lowest setting, 40% / 640 gph. I switch the flow pattern throughout the day.
Ok I'm liking the way the torch is swaying. How's the sediment?

Do they make a Y end piece for your return line?

OP
OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm liking the way the torch is swaying. How's the sediment?
It’s still there. Can check back in tomorrow to see if it settles at all.
Do they make a Y end piece for your return line?
I’ll look for one. Quick browse on Amazon, I didn’t see anything super quick, but there has gotta be

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still there. Can check back in tomorrow to see if it settles at all.

I’ll look for one. Quick browse on Amazon, I didn’t see anything super quick, but there has gotta be
Ok I would raise your return nozzle slightly maybe the top edge just breaking the surface of the water you're like 30x turnover right now which is decent. Move power head up half inch too.

OP
OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's as high as my return can go, doesn't quite get over the top, but its close. Raised wavemaker slightly.

Still a bunch of sediment. Still can't figure out where it's coming from

Attachments

• IMG_4316.MOV
    20.5 MB
OP
OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I also overthinking this? It is my first salt water tank, so have this idea of it being clear water, is the amount of stuff floating around in my videos normal for a reef tank?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I also overthinking this? It is my first salt water tank, so have this idea of it being clear water, is the amount of stuff floating around in my videos normal for a reef tank?
Well yes and no. It doesn't look to bad right now and I still think flow is good now based on the torch movement. I dealt with some floating sand early on to until I dialed down my flow. You used very fine sand right smaller grains then typical?

OP
OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes and no. It doesn't look to bad right now and I still think flow is good now based on the torch movement. I dealt with some floating sand early on to until I dialed down my flow. You used very fine sand right smaller grains then typical?

I switched over to typical reef grade sand last week. I went away from the fine sand

OP
OP
Jobu183

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, yeah.

I'm going to try and run a 1micron filter again tomorrow and see if that works. I'm thinking it has to be something with my filtration as you've corrected the flow.

I do love the new movement on the torch, it looks so good.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back