Switching from 2 part to Kalkwasser what trace if any?

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the game almost 3 years. Went form 120ltr to now a RS425XL.
I've been dosing 2 part and an Aussie brand trace (Reef Anabolics) I don't believe I've seen growth I should. Whether the instructions on Reef Anabolics to make 2 part is good enough or the trace is not all that good? It's certainly not a big brand.
So am considering switch to Kalkwasser. But what trace to dose?

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which two part?
Yours Randy. Reef Anabolics has some version of your recipe on the bottle. Or the ingredients I am buying. I buy Food Grade (according to ad)
Not saying it's your recipe. I'm more inclined to think it's the product? Or maybe just my perception of where I think things should be.
ir I believe the tank is stable enough to grow acro but I cant' get any to survive.
I have 3 HD32 over the tank. Light shouldn't be a problem. I have a digitata that seams to be doing ok
I have tried talking to the manufacturer but the site does not work for me. Wondering if they have gone bust?

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever considered all for reef. Might simplify things a bit
$65 for a 500ml bottle. 5ml per 100 per day. Not cheap. But then this hobby isn't cheap.
Having said that Randy's 2 part plus the trace I am adding is far cheaper and lasts for ever.
Kalkwasser is the next cheapest option I think.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$65 for a 500ml bottle. 5ml per 100 per day. Not cheap. But then this hobby isn't cheap.
Having said that Randy's 2 part plus the trace I am adding is far cheaper and lasts for ever.
Kalkwasser is the next cheapest option I think.
The pre. mixed version is for small consumption.
Look up the powder version, if available it should be lot more affordable.

1715949201467.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours Randy. Reef Anabolics has some version of your recipe on the bottle. Or the ingredients I am buying. I buy Food Grade (according to ad)
Not saying it's your recipe. I'm more inclined to think it's the product? Or maybe just my perception of where I think things should be.
ir I believe the tank is stable enough to grow acro but I cant' get any to survive.
I have 3 HD32 over the tank. Light shouldn't be a problem. I have a digitata that seams to be doing ok
I have tried talking to the manufacturer but the site does not work for me. Wondering if they have gone bust?

If it has magnesium somehow, then a product to use with it such as Tropic Marin A and K is a fine thing to try.

MAH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pre. mixed version is for small consumption.
Look up the powder version, if available it should be lot more affordable.

1715949201467.jpeg
I agree, I started using the powdered version 3-4 weeks ago in my RS 450 and it made an almost overnight difference with my plate corral looking happier, the only other thing I changed was not using Kalkwasser as my ATO source when I switched to AFR.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I started using the powdered version 3-4 weeks ago in my RS 450 and it made an almost overnight difference with my plate corral looking happier, the only other thing I changed was not using Kalkwasser as my ATO source when I switched to AFR.
My research says don't use kalkwasser in ato. Tipoff is likely never the same from day to day. Best to be on drip feed all day

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My research says don't use kalkwasser in ato. Tipoff is likely never the same from day to day. Best to be on drip feed all day

FWIW, I did just that for 20 years. I agree that a dosing pump set just below the daily evaporation rate gives more regular and controlled dosing, but I think folks can use an ATO in many circumstances without apparent problems.

yury88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually nobody forsing you to use saturated limewater in ATO.
You can start with 50%(0.8g/l) for example without problem...

In my case after some time I have to use all ATO water as saturated limewater, around 3L for 100L every day, just because it boosting corals growing

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To use in ato
Stop using co2 scrubber and dosing 2 part.
I guess easy to add kalk to my at and monitor for coupl days
I like using the co2 scrubber and replacing evaporation with Kalk on a quality doser. Makes it easy to maintain 8.2-8.4 PH

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm juggling this in my mind as well. I'd like to try KW. Idk if I want to run it from ato or a doser. Still juggling :)

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the game almost 3 years. Went form 120ltr to now a RS425XL.
I've been dosing 2 part and an Aussie brand trace (Reef Anabolics) I don't believe I've seen growth I should. Whether the instructions on Reef Anabolics to make 2 part is good enough or the trace is not all that good? It's certainly not a big brand.
So am considering switch to Kalkwasser. But what trace to dose?
I do Kalk (ACI method) in a 10 gallon tub hooked up to a kamoer X1 Pro T doser, dose my daily evaporation rate (3460 ml) daily, overnight when lights are off..

Fill your container with 1 teaspoon per gallon of rodi water...hand mix for about a couple minutes...than cover and let it settle..after all that than it's ready for dosing.

For trace elements, you can do this a couple ways. You can use all for reef,but closely monitor alk and calcium as it adds both, or you can go with Tropic Marin bailing, which is Pro Coral A-, Pro Coralk K+, and Part C... this combo will balance out your alk and calcium from you kalk dosing. You can also look at Fauna Marin Multi Elements A and B which is another 2-part Trace Element supplement similar to TM bailing...allot of reefers in Europe swear by it...

Check out this video on Chris ACI kalk dosing method...https://youtu.be/mXyXj1ft2ZE?si=oGleMPlVEKHfCSD4

Plenty other videos on YouTube about this method of kalk dosing...hope this helps!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do Kalk (ACI method) in a 10 gallon tub hooked up to a kamoer X1 Pro T doser, dose my daily evaporation rate (3460 ml) daily, overnight when lights are off..

Fill your container with 1 teaspoon per gallon of rodi water...hand mix for about a couple minutes...than cover and let it settle..after all that than it's ready for dosing.

For trace elements, you can do this a couple ways. You can use all for reef,but closely monitor alk and calcium as it adds both, or you can go with Tropic Marin bailing, which is Pro Coral A-, Pro Coralk K+, and Part C... this combo will balance out your alk and calcium from you kalk dosing. You can also look at Fauna Marin Multi Elements A and B which is another 2-part Trace Element supplement similar to TM bailing...allot of reefers in Europe swear by it...

Check out this video on Chris ACI kalk dosing method...https://youtu.be/mXyXj1ft2ZE?si=oGleMPlVEKHfCSD4

Plenty other videos on YouTube about this method of kalk dosing...hope this helps!

I will reiterate that the way aci uses kalkwasser (dosing based on pH and not alk) should not be blindly followed. It can lead to problems in tanks not similar to those used at aci. I strongly advise folks to measure and control alkalinity when using any alkalinity or pH adjusting chemicals.

Back