T5/LED hybrid build

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. if the tank collapses, at least you will have excellent lighting to clean up the mess. LOL:bigsmile:

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. if the tank collapses, at least you will have excellent lighting to clean up the mess. LOL:bigsmile:

fishtail.jpg

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll remember to play that song when you want to get the tank..... :violin:

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I must say that I really do like the craftsmanship in this build. For asthetics, it's a great job. Unfortunately, It's a stupid idea. If a friend of mine came up to me and started talking about a t5/led hybrid I would laugh thinking it were a joke. T5 and LED together is no more "hybrid" than a dog and tapeworms.

I am interested in knowing what reasons you had for thinking this was a good idea though. I understand that there are MH/T5 combos but the whole point to that is to increase the light output above what the MH can put out on it's own as well as add the option to have an actinic lighting cycle. T5 have a broader light spectrum but with LED you can use combos of reds, blues, purples, turquis, cool whites, neutral whites, warm whites, etc to fill in spectrums and bring out all the colors of your tank while setting all the colors and brightness to match your needs.

There may still be some people that argue that LEDs have some disadvantages but it's a moot arguement. A year ago, LEDs were still fairly new and just starting to get a real establishment above a lot of tanks, today LEDs are tried, they are tested, and they are true. LEDs are to lighting what a Vortech is to Powerheads.

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I must say that I really do like the craftsmanship in this build. For asthetics, it's a great job. Unfortunately, It's a stupid idea. If a friend of mine came up to me and started talking about a t5/led hybrid I would laugh thinking it were a joke. T5 and LED together is no more "hybrid" than a dog and tapeworms.

I am interested in knowing what reasons you had for thinking this was a good idea though. I understand that there are MH/T5 combos but the whole point to that is to increase the light output above what the MH can put out on it's own as well as add the option to have an actinic lighting cycle. T5 have a broader light spectrum but with LED you can use combos of reds, blues, purples, turquis, cool whites, neutral whites, warm whites, etc to fill in spectrums and bring out all the colors of your tank while setting all the colors and brightness to match your needs.

There may still be some people that argue that LEDs have some disadvantages but it's a moot arguement. A year ago, LEDs were still fairly new and just starting to get a real establishment above a lot of tanks, today LEDs are tried, they are tested, and they are true. LEDs are to lighting what a Vortech is to Powerheads.

Vortechs are overrated. They are noisy and have narrow flow. I see more people selling the MP40s than any other pumps.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dont be afraid to express your opinions. But straight out calling this a 'stupid idea' is just rude, and honestly ignorant on your part IMO.

First off, adding T5 to MH is to supplement in almost ALL cases. The reason the fixtures are made that way is to provide some sort of dusk dawn effect that you cannot get with MH alone. It is NOT to "increase the light output above what the MH put out on it's own." They are usually always an actinic bulb or blue PC bulb, that typically dont add any PAR.

And also, if you have T5 only, the spread and color combo is amazing, but you do not get any shimmer that so many of us enjoy. But with adding LED's you have the option of dimming them and controlling them and you get that great color pop and shimmer.

Seems like a T5 LED hybrid is a no brainer to me. But like I said you are welcome to think otherwise. But I bet you wont find many to agree with your opinion.

Last edited:

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build has inspired a tremendous amount of thought in my mind about doing a similar build with my current fixture. I look forward to seeing what you have to say about this as time goes by and your tank responds.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

obviously you just skimmed trough the thread and didnt read anything... please do so and please post up a follow up....

and thank for the kind comment about the build quality.. i actually surprised myself also..

SuperPro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what u say about LED being tried and true they actually aren't. How come you see so many SPS guys going back to t5s or halides? Cause the results with led **ck. Go to the for sale forum and see how many people are selling AI Sol's and Radion's. I'll stick with my t5/mh combo and my corals will look better than yours, that's a fact.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what u say about LED being tried and true they actually aren't. How come you see so many SPS guys going back to t5s or halides? Cause the results with led **ck. Go to the for sale forum and see how many people are selling AI Sol's and Radion's. I'll stick with my t5/mh combo and my corals will look better than yours, that's a fact.

I couldn't agree more. After some testing I have done over the past year and a half, I have concluded the LEDs are great for supplemental lighting, shimmer and to give the blues some pop. But real growth happens better with MH or T5s.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And where is the pictures of your tank with the "tried and true" led setup? :blah:

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I personally think this setup rocks. I have been planning on doing a T5 LED combo but it never occurred to me to set the LED's in the fixture like this. I do think this turned out incredible. How is the tank. Are you going to get a new stand or attempt to support your present one?

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i strapped up the current stand reinforced it some and is in the process of getting a new tank and stand..

i will however go with a metal stand not just because of the issue i had but also it takes up less space.. i.e. 1.5"x1.5" bar stock vs 2"x4" or 2"x6"

i need to quit being lazy and take some good pics..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back