Tang in QT with ich

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blkhwkz No issues with any Zebrasoma tangs, including Purples. And I've treated those all the way up to 80mg/gal. Have you dewormed yet?

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blkhwkz No issues with any Zebrasoma tangs, including Purples. And I've treated those all the way up to 80mg/gal. Have you dewormed yet?
I was in round 1 of prazi when I saw ich so stopped that to get the CP going. Was planning on doing 2 doses of prazi after the CP.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in round 1 of prazi when I saw ich so stopped that to get the CP going. Was planning on doing 2 doses of prazi after the CP.

Did you suspect flukes or were just dosing prazi as a prophylactic? Flukes can kill, if left untreated for too long.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you suspect flukes or were just dosing prazi as a prophylactic? Flukes can kill, if left untreated for too long.
Prophylactic. Found it dead this morning, no signs of anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well another not so fun lesson learned. We were going out of town and I had a first time house sitter staying here to watch the dog, bird, and all the fish tanks. Took the foxface out of QT a few days after 30 days of CP treatment so there was one less tank for them to deal with. Noticed ich on the foxface today in the DT. So get to do my 2nd 76 day fallow period since December. Also have 3 more fish coming Tuesday, so I need to grab another QT setup. Luckily my brother had an unused 29 gallon and stand I can grab, just need heater and filter. So if I can drain DT and catch the 3 tomorrow and move to QT, I can add fish again July 9. If I thought the first fallow period sucked, a 2nd one is going to suck even more.

Lesson learned, no more removing from QT for any reason until observation period is over after treatment.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure its ich? Rabbitfish serum (study here) actually makes it unlikely to ever see a trophont on a fish; they (along with mandarins) are probably the most ich resistant fish there is. ;)

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I checked it again. I was trying to get it to come out for a picture, it still doesn't like me to much since moving it from QT to DT, but there are no spots on it now. My wife saw them earlier and just verified she no longer sees them. Going to monitor for a few days and see if I see anything return. Think this morning only the XHO LED strip was on when we saw them, now the 8 T5 bulbs are blasting, so I will check again when it is down to 2 bulbs on and then when the T5 are off and only the XHO is on.

I'll be quite happy if it turns out to be nothing in the next few days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I checked it again. I was trying to get it to come out for a picture, it still doesn't like me to much since moving it from QT to DT, but there are no spots on it now. My wife saw them earlier and just verified she no longer sees them. Going to monitor for a few days and see if I see anything return. Think this morning only the XHO LED strip was on when we saw them, now the 8 T5 bulbs are blasting, so I will check again when it is down to 2 bulbs on and then when the T5 are off and only the XHO is on.

I'll be quite happy if it turns out to be nothing in the next few days.

Fyi; rabbitfish have very thick slime coats so it's entirely possible some "white debris" got trapped there. Obviously it can't be a parasite if it was only there a short while.

(I realize you already know this... I'm posting this more for any future readers who stumble upon this thread.)

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the foxface definitely seems to be fine. Looks like I was just being paranoid and it was some stuff sticking to slime coat.

Got a new purple tang and 2 yellow tail damsels delivered this morning and drip acclimating now. Unless I see visible issues, going to let them eat for a few days in QT and then dosing CP prophylactically followed by 2 rounds of prazi. Hopefully this purple tang makes it, pretty sure the last one got stung by the foxface since they were always together.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back