Tang is not doing good

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I started dosing polyp lab medic in my tank some fish are doing better but my tang got worse. He is laying on the bottom and heavy breathing is it worth setting up a quarantine tank and doing copper or is he too far gone?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a lot more info to diagnose and recommend treatment. Please see the link below.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a lot more info to diagnose and recommend treatment. Please see the link below.
I’m sorry for the lack of information I forgot to add i posted on a different forum yesterday where some were saying to qt and use copper and some saying to use polyp lab medic. The tang is on the brink of death from ich. Im trying to figure out if i should set up a qt and treat them all and leave tank fallow for 90 days. But it would be 5 fish 2 chalk bass, 2 clowns, and a royal gramma all in a 13.5 gallon qt could that be sustainable for that long. If I was going to do this I would start tomorrow with setting up qt and starting copper for all of them.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bio media from main tank I could take and add to qt filtration as well to not have to do so many water changes.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for the lack of information I forgot to add i posted on a different forum yesterday where some were saying to qt and use copper and some saying to use polyp lab medic. The tang is on the brink of death from ich. Im trying to figure out if i should set up a qt and treat them all and leave tank fallow for 90 days. But it would be 5 fish 2 chalk bass, 2 clowns, and a royal gramma all in a 13.5 gallon qt could that be sustainable for that long. If I was going to do this I would start tomorrow with setting up qt and starting copper for all of them.
If truly ich, that QT and Copper Power at full strength immediately (2.25 - 2.5 ppm) is in order. Polyp lab medic is not a good choice.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If truly ich, that QT and Copper Power at full strength immediately (2.25 - 2.5 ppm) is in order. Polyp lab medic is not a good choice.
Yeah I’m starting to think it’s just snake oil. Is it feasible to qt all of them in my 13.5 gallon evo? Then keep them there for 6-8 weeks for fallow period?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yesterday I started dosing polyp lab medic in my tank some fish are doing better but my tang got worse. He is laying on the bottom and heavy breathing is it worth setting up a quarantine tank and doing copper or is he too far gone?
MEDIC is peroxide salts and typically does not work especially once ich stages are in place. Quarantine tank will be your best recourse and run at treatment level 2.25 using coppersafe for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
BEFORE concluding ich, Please post pics or video under white light intensity for accurate assessment

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was on tang then spread to Royal gramma this was taken yesterday. I’m heading to fish store now. Can I keep all 6 of my fish in 13.5 gallon evo for the 6-8 weeks? They are all pretty small.

Attachments

• IMG_9908.jpeg
    IMG_9908.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9910.jpeg
    IMG_9910.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9900.jpeg
    IMG_9900.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9901.jpeg
    IMG_9901.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9907.jpeg
    IMG_9907.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have got copper now. I still would like to know if my fish would be ok in my 13.5 gallon evo for 6-8 weeks while they go through qt procedures and then stay in there a little while longer. All my fish are still juvenile. Its 2 chalk bass, a royal gramma, and 2 occelaris clowns. 5 fish now unfortunately the tang passed.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all the fishes have a notched out territory, then i don't see why that wouldn't work.

Did they show aggression before?

The only thing i can see is that the clowns will probably get upset later and commit genocide on on the other fish. Especially if one of those clowns transition to a female.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all the fishes have a notched out territory, then i don't see why that wouldn't work.

Did they show aggression before?

The only thing i can see is that the clowns will probably get upset later and commit genocide on on the other fish. Especially if one of those clowns transition to a female.
One is already a female however she is still not too big she’s bigger than my male but neither of them are too territorial honestly the only aggression I see from the clownfish is when I stick my hand in the tank lol!

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ick, only copper, hypo or ttm treatments are proven effective.
All else is just a gamble.
Yeah I got copper unfortunately the tang has already passed I’m setting up a qt tank rn to put the rest in and treat with copper then leave tank fallow for 6-8 weeks

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have got copper now. I still would like to know if my fish would be ok in my 13.5 gallon evo for 6-8 weeks while they go through qt procedures and then stay in there a little while longer. All my fish are still juvenile. Its 2 chalk bass, a royal gramma, and 2 occelaris clowns. 5 fish now unfortunately the tang passed.
It won’t be ideal, but as long as there’s no territorial aggression issues, you’ll be fine. Just be prepared to keep a close eye on ammonia levels and have plenty of water pre-mixed and ready to use.

I recently had the same situation but had to use a 10 gallon with 6 fish.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t be ideal, but as long as there’s no territorial aggression issues, you’ll be fine. Just be prepared to keep a close eye on ammonia levels and have plenty of water pre-mixed and ready to use.

Yeah I just finished setting it up I have biological filtration media from main tank to help filter the ammonia but am also gonna make some water incase ammonia spike. I now know why people should qt before the put it in a display tank full of rock and coral. What a pain. I have the copper at 2.54 according to my Hanna tester. Have an ammonia reader in there and hoping my fish don’t die.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is 1.021 salinity ok while using copper?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back