Tang Order

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes, another Tang stocking order question.

So I just lost my blonde naso and I currently only have a White tail Bristletooth and Desjardini tang in my 260 gal with a handful of other fish. The blonde naso seemed to have some internal issues and just randomly stopped eating for a second time, but this time he didn't make it. The whitetail was bullying him a bit and has been aggressive so I am going to likely rehome him. The sailfin seems to be a bit aggressive but not as bad as the white tail.

First question, do you think the desjardini will calm down once I get rid of the bristletooth or will he continue to be aggressive?

Secondly - what about this stocking list and what order should I add them?

1. Tomini Tang
2. Naso
3. Gem
4. Yellow tang - likely only get this one if I rehome the Desjardini.

Thanks for any insight!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ahh yes, another Tang stocking order question.

So I just lost my blonde naso and I currently only have a White tail Bristletooth and Desjardini tang in my 260 gal with a handful of other fish. The blonde naso seemed to have some internal issues and just randomly stopped eating for a second time, but this time he didn't make it. The whitetail was bullying him a bit and has been aggressive so I am going to likely rehome him. The sailfin seems to be a bit aggressive but not as bad as the white tail.

First question, do you think the desjardini will calm down once I get rid of the bristletooth or will he continue to be aggressive?

Secondly - what about this stocking list and what order should I add them?

1. Tomini Tang
2. Naso
3. Gem
4. Yellow tang - likely only get this one if I rehome the Desjardini.

Thanks for any insight!
This is suggestive based on size potential and aggression potential:

1. Tomini Tang - 1
2. Naso - 3 - Make sure fish is not thin and eating and avoid Blonde naso at this time
3. Gem - 2
4. Yellow tang - likely only get this one if I rehome the Desjardini. - 4

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive never been a big fan of any of those minus an Achillies, but cant they be tough to keep?
My achilles is a model citizen - Quarantine them . Mine had velvet within 72 hours but quickly treated and cleared up

achilles1.jpg

OP
OP
Bozburn

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My achilles is a model citizen - Quarantine them . Mine had velvet within 72 hours but quickly treated and cleared up

achilles1.jpg
I need to get a legit QT system set up at home, ive got a 20gal but might up it to a 40 and get it running. Bubbler, heater and HOB filter, does it need anything else?

Also if I were to add an achillies what would the order be? Would really like to keep my Desjardini, but if it continues to be aggressive after I remove the white tail then its gone.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I need to get a legit QT system set up at home, ive got a 20gal but might up it to a 40 and get it running. Bubbler, heater and HOB filter, does it need anything else?

Also if I were to add an achillies what would the order be? Would really like to keep my Desjardini, but if it continues to be aggressive after I remove the white tail then its gone.
Mine is peaceful but can get a temporary attitude because desjardini and dussomieri tang screws with him

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This is suggestive based on size potential and aggression potential:

1. Tomini Tang - 1
2. Naso - 3 - Make sure fish is not thin and eating and avoid Blonde naso at this time
3. Gem - 2
4. Yellow tang - likely only get this one if I rehome the Desjardini. - 4
Why do u suggest avoid blonde naso

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why do u suggest avoid blonde naso
there has been a large number for several months coming from Sri lanka and appear healthy and quickly decline, stop eating and get thin to the point of weakness and death. It may be method of capture but of high risk for purchase

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
there has been a large number for several months coming from Sri lanka and appear healthy and quickly decline, stop eating and get thin to the point of weakness and death. It may be method of capture but of high risk for purchase
I had one bought in February . It was from Suri lanka. Suddenly died after 3 months . I don’t even know why. All the sudden stop eating . I guess I got the bad batch as u mentioned .

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, 3 yrs ago, here’s my 2 cents lol
My yT, hippo and Sailfin are all 6-7 yrs old, they ***** and fight as they grow and pecking order changes. Only one problem about 3 or 4 yrs ago when Y T got ***** with Sailfin, sliced her about an inch. Long on her side. I know from Vetteguy and Jay about treatment so I just observed her, she photobombs easily and she healed perfect. I can’t even see a scar when I use my magnifying glass, all the time!

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

within the last two months I lost two blondes.

The first never made it past the day 1 and the second didn't make it past the 3rd day. You think they are using cyanide again? I also had a long nose butterfly in the same order with the second naso. The LNB didn't eat and also died.

Because I ordered directly from the wholesaler, there was no live guarantee.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
within the last two months I lost two blondes.

The first never made it past the day 1 and the second didn't make it past the 3rd day. You think they are using cyanide again? I also had a long nose butterfly in the same order with the second naso. The LNB didn't eat and also died.

Because I ordered directly from the wholesaler, there was no live guarantee.
Personally, stay away from blondes, at least for now. Unfortunately for about 9 months now- this has been a trend. An influx of these fish are coming fromn Sri Lanka and it is suspected that a method of capture is contributing to this trend in which the fish appears healthy the first few days and then weakens quickly with loss of appetite and strength and as you found layin on its side, thin body and breathing heavy until death. It may be due to cyanide capture but unconfirmed.
Long nose also hit and miss as they often arrive thin and may or may not eat and are susceptible to both lympho which is ok, but also bacterial issues

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, stay away from blondes, at least for now. Unfortunately for about 9 months now- this has been a trend. An influx of these fish are coming fromn Sri Lanka and it is suspected that a method of capture is contributing to this trend in which the fish appears healthy the first few days and then weakens quickly with loss of appetite and strength and as you found layin on its side, thin body and breathing heavy until death. It may be due to cyanide capture but unconfirmed.
Long nose also hit and miss as they often arrive thin and may or may not eat and are susceptible to both lympho which is ok, but also bacterial issues

Is it just Sri Lanka? I can also get fish from Bali and Philippines. He has a decent size Poma angelfish I been trying to get my hands on from the Philippines.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it just Sri Lanka? I can also get fish from Bali and Philippines. He has a decent size Poma angelfish I been trying to get my hands on from the Philippines.
Poma have a temperament and will nip coral. Sri Lanka is main area, bali im convinced is using Cyanide and Philippine may be the same. I bought and have a standard Naso at least now 9" and they have been safe in the industry

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back