OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 weeks I think. I may just break down the tank. I found a deal on a RR 110 oceanic. It's a way nicer tank and will be way easier to maintain for me. Ugh. To many choices. Lol

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to hold off I just would like to introduce them into display at same time if possible.

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tusk doesnt bother anything including snails crabs or my shrimps..

I know this is probably common knowledge, but I do have a word of warning about Tusks. They can and will eat shrimp and any other inverts. I've had two. The first wanted nothing to do with my cleaner and blood shrimp. The current one however, who is still a juvenile, killed my blood shrimp yesterday. I came out and saw my shrimp swimming around with no legs and saw my Tusk happily swimming around with one of the shrimp's legs hanging out of his mouth. My cleaner shrimp now hides all the time as well until the lights go out.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something thing to thing about when buying fish is not the size they are now but what size they can/will reach and if your tank can support that size fish. The main reason the tang police complain of, and I saw this in my own tank, is the length of the tank they are in. Mine is 6' which is minimum length for a tang. They love to dart about and have to have ample space to do so. I have a 5" yt and a 6"pbt and had to reduce my rock for them plus give them extra swim through spaces within the rock. My 125 peninsula IMO is too small and it is the main reason I am upgrading to a 180 peninsula. Someday, since I can't go longer or wider, he will have to go to someone with a 400g or more.

I agree you should hold off untill you're ready to start up however and introduce them to the new tank at the same time if you decide to get it.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the more I've been thinking on this topic the more I'm gonna wait. I get the 110 on thursday. Which is 5 feet. I'm going to make sure my sump fits or build a new one. Get everything ready for the swap and drain the 150 Friday into a bunch of totes get all my crabs and fish out. I'll put all my inverts and the wrasse n purple tang in the biocube with a few pieces of live rock and my boat that's holding some sand for the wrasse to sleep and get the 110 up n running. When it's close to ready I'll get the inverts into it. Than I'll pick up the kole tang and treat all 3 fish with copper and perazipro. As quickly as possible. I'm hoping my purple will be okay in the biocube 29 that long I feel bad for him already and it's only been 2 days.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just debating on if I want to completely start fresh with new sand and rock or use the stuff in my 150. I had a ich outbreak that killed my clown trigger and almost got my rabbit fish. I treated display with ich x for 2 weeks and everything has been healthy for a good month but I don't wanna go through that again. I also have a few apistasia that my peppermint shrimp are picking off. I kinda wanna start completely fresh which will be a longer cycle though. Idk

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten off topic here though. Guess I just need to make the decision on treatment of 2 tangs in my biocube together or wait and treat one at a time.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea Heath :) Though I am not sure you cand do copper + prazipro at the same time. Prazi has warnings about that on the bottle. I would do one or the other.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no I'll do one than than carbon and large water change. Than the other one.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This purple tang has become like my 4th child lol. Gotta make sure he ends up happy!

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a whole other thread but it's recommended for new fish to get both treatments right?

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't treat my fish with copper that I have in qt unless they show signs of disease. I use cupramine if they show signs of ich or velvet. I usually do treat with prazipro regardless though.

Gsellers85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing really in the biocube. Just my quarantine! Well there's just this! Lol.

lol I about fell off my bed when I saw this. I have 3 tangs and my purple is the dominate tang kinda a bully at times. He is the biggest too, my LFS said that usually 1 tang will be more dominate and aggressive and the other won't grow as fast due to 1 not letting the other eat as much. I have found this to be true with my purple tang and sailfin

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son loves the boat and I figured it would be perfect for a wrasse to hide in the sand while in qt. Works great actually. I still am working on some Lego decor but haven't gotten around to building the acrylic racks for them.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A purple and a tomini might be okay, but it's definitely not a sure thing. Some purples are vicious. You'll have to watch close. An acclimation box would be a good idea until the purple stops trying to attack the new guy.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never be too certain w tangs.. I Have always had luck. Feeding keeps their aggression down (algae sheets) After a day or two they are usually fine.. But each fish is different. LIke others said, try it out.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice if body shapes make a difference. Like the difference in the shape of a hippo vs powder vs purple..... ?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and avoid using copper on tangs if at all possible. They do not react well to it as a rule. I would go ahead and do the prazipro, but beyond that just watch them. If they get ich there are alternative treatments. Personally, I think the only recommendable time to use copper on tangs is when velvet breaks out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back