Tank and Sump Help

elerii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to know if the "IceCap Reef Sump 15", and the "Seapora Edge Series Aquarium - Reef-Ready - 75 Gallon - 48x18x20" are going to be compatible with eachother and/or work well and not give me major issues. I am working with limited space for the sump, only about 1'-8" x 1'-4" of space available in the cabinet I have. I could theoretically get a bigger sump but it would be on a shelf underneath the stand that is open and has no cabinet, which I don't know if that will be an issue or not, but it will certainly look visually unappealing to have a sump sitting there.

I plan on stocking 2 clownfish first, and then adding in either some corals or an anemone when the time is right and things have had time to cycle. Further down the line I want to add some other fish, which I havent decided on yet, as well as inverts like shrimp, hermits, snails etc. Just giving some information on what I want to stock in case that effects what sump I should get.

I would also like to have an ATS and also a protein skimmer, but again, not sure if either of those are going to really fit in that enclosed space. Any information on how to get all of this to fit in there, or any other suggestions, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank and sump both have 1" drains (per the internet), so in that regard they should be compatible. The sump should work for tanks up to 90 gallons (also per the internet), though I do wonder if that sumps small size would limit how large of a return pump you could run without running the return chamber dry. . . but that is just me speculating.

Another thought, looks like that sump only has one sock holder, depending on a few factors you might find yourself changing that sock often.

OP
OP
E

elerii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all in all it looks like it will probably work then I guess. I think I’ll go ahead and purchase the tank and then do some more research on sumps before I pick one up. Not a lot of room for error on a sump that small it seems.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all in all it looks like it will probably work then I guess. I think I’ll go ahead and purchase the tank and then do some more research on sumps before I pick one up. Not a lot of room for error on a sump that small it seems.
It depends on how you go about setting it up. If you want a lot of flow through the sump, it probably is too small. But for a reasonable amount of turn over it should work. You don’t need that much flow to do the job.

I would say you can probably get a skimmer or ATS in there but likely not both.

Overall, I agree that buying the tank first, getting it set up, and only then getting a sump is a good move. That way you can measure what you actually have.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back