Votes: 37 33.0%

• Total voters

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use black. But I don't use paint I just buy black vinyl from a custom sign shop and use that instead. It goes on just like window tint

that is a great idea!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used black, because I felt like it helped make things like overflows, powerheads, bulheads, screens and black PVC less noticeable in the tank. Blue backgrounds tend to accentuate those types of items. On a new nano I am building from scratch, I am trying an experiment. I going with blue and I have painted the background, overflow, bulkheads and plumbing inside the tank with Krylon Fusion Blue. And yes, that is a towel used to simulate sand, just for the picture. :)

DSC03154_zpseb99f98e.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Black- Brings everything forward.

Attachments

• wave2.jpg
    wave2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 15,603

Mark426

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black adds depth and tends to make corals appear more colorful. Dark dark blue is next. Shadow boxes are probably the best looking if done correctly but they have their own set of problems. IMO...the worst looking are coralline covered backs, takes away any sense of depth and looks like a box with corals in it. That's just my opinion. Different strokes for different folks.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Pete: I forgot about the fish attacking their reflection. Oops. It would be fun to watch though. Not the killing part. I have a Blue Convict that would likely go nuts. MY BAD :squigglemouth:

MOPAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a dark blue like navy. Black to me seams dark and takes depth away. In the end it's personal preference. Why not just have both use the velcro to make it removable like your last one. That way you can change it on the fly.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like sky blue but current tank I tried black and it's ok but the blue gives off a look like you are in the ocean

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a dark blue like navy. Black to me seams dark and takes depth away. In the end it's personal preference. Why not just have both use the velcro to make it removable like your last one. That way you can change it on the fly.

Ya actually grabbed paint today. Gonna try card board 1st paint and velcro on. Doing 1 of each but now I need more cardboard.lol screwed 1 up - doh

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the cube last night. Went with a blue bottom and used blue behind the black design painted on back to fill it in. Really can't even tell it's blue.lol thought it would be more so.lol maybe on the bigger tank.

Attachments

• 2015-04-23 10.04.03.jpg
    2015-04-23 10.04.03.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,796

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over many decades I've tried black, blue and a few other colors. I had a 55g fish only setup that I put mirrored window film on the back. It made the tank look like it was at least twice as deep. Over the last couple of years I've gone to painting the tank backs with a krylon metallic blue. It's gotten a little hard to find and I had to order the last batch online. The drawbacks are it takes many coats of paint because it is fairly transparent. You also have to keep the area behind the tank dark are you'll see through the paint. Done correctly you'll end up with a blue that looks like an ocean scene going off into the distance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My new tank. Went black again. Just a winner.

Attachments

• beast14.jpg
    beast14.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11,307

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer black, but tend to let the back glass get taken over by coraline algae so it doesn't really matter in the end

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We painted the wall behind the tank blue and did no other background. We painted the pipes and everything else behind the tank the same color. It works for us. We had both black and blue. I think bigger tanks look better with blue.

Dr.Pat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think? Black looks great and pops but boxes in While blue seems to pop also and open up the space.

Have usually gone with black but thinking I may try blue this time around. Interested in what others think on this with any pros n cons for each.
I have always used black contact paper it gives the best contrast imo, but its personal preference

Last edited:

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had black blue clear back ground drops and even white. I kinda like blue the most but my current tank is black.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back