Tank birthday, 47+ years

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396374818.997792.jpg

Our neighbor had a bird similar to this. It was red, I guess a macaw? I don't know birds to be honest. Anyways, that thing was LOUD! They had a visit from the PD on many occassion. The complaint was someone thought there was a domestic. We have a bunch of...older folk for neighbors. Probably older than you guys. Nothing goes by without being scrutinized around here.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Simon when he was a chick. That was over 30 years ago. The vast majority of these birds get rehomed multiple times in their lives because they live into their 80's. Noise is the biggest factor. Simon has a very large flight cage in a part of the house he can't be heard. So when he tunes up he goes out there to do it. They are very smart. And they require a lot of human contact.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396380538.117276.jpg

He loves watching the reef.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 donkey
1 Heney
6 sheep
1 whippet
1 golden retriever
1 yellow lab
1 border collie
1 fat cat
2 parrots

Whew.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 donkey
1 Heney
6 sheep
1 whippet
1 golden retriever
1 yellow lab
1 border collie
1 fat cat
2 parrots

I had a turtle, does that count?

SharkGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Simon when he was a chick. That was over 30 years ago. The vast majority of these birds get rehomed multiple times in their lives because they live into their 80's. Noise is the biggest factor. Simon has a very large flight cage in a part of the house he can't be heard. So when he tunes up he goes out there to do it. They are very smart. And they require a lot of human contact.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396380538.117276.jpg

He loves watching the reef.

My grandma used to have a pair of blue and gold macaws, they were quite mean though. I also used to work at a zoo where they had a blue and gold, and a red and blue macaw. They were much nicer haha

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get focused on just a couple, or one person when they get older. And in pairs they can get pretty disinterested in you.

Yes, a turtle counts. But you're shooting pretty low, not much work in turtle raising and taking them on walks can be time consuming.

But on second thought you would build a turtle walker.

Last edited:

SharkGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have 2 snakes, a skink, a 6 ft tank, a 4 ft tank, 3 dogs, 3 birds, a couple hamsters, and I worked with horses. Then I grew up and moved out of the house haha

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between my house and my parents there is, 10 cats a dog a ferrit 3 rats 2 mice hampsters a bird a rabbit and 10 fish tanks 3 sw and 7 fw. I think that's it. And that doesn't even scratch the surface of what I have owned that's just what we have now. I at one point had 32 mice that wouldn't stop breeding lol. Paul just wanted to congratulate you on your tank, I love reading your thread its hilarious!

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 kids (2 males, 1 female)
1 German Shepherd, Franklin.

feeders001.jpg

I did something similar to this. I took a long clear tube ( I can't remember where I got it,) and super-glued a suction bulb for babies into the other end. That was my target feeder for awhile. Then I had to take out oil in my push mower because I overfilled. I didn't have anything else around and am too cheap to buy a siphon. It worked for both uses...I still have it for lawnmower mishaps. :squigglemouth:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in Queens which is part of New York City. There were horses for rent in the park but no one else that I ever knew owned one. They frowned on taking a horse in the subway. Goats, forget about it unless we went to a zoo. Parrots many people had and some kept pigeons. But they ate most of them. We didn't have a lot of animals but my Daughter lives in the Village in lower Manhattan and I can assure you there are much wierder creatures living there than you would find on any farm or Zoo.
As a kid I would find frogs, snakes and turtles so I had a bunch of those. But I always had fish and anything that crawled out of the sea.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, a little more difficult to have a house full of pets in NYC. I live in Ozark country and while I work mostly in big cities, I always enjoy getting back home to the wide open spaces and my trees. But the lack of ocean is hard. I have to get my water enjoyment from our big lakes here. The reef tank helps. I can sit close to the tank with my Aga mask on and dream I am on the reef.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can sit close to the tank with my Aga mask on and dream I am on the reef.

I would never do anything as Dopey as that.

My favorite place to be is on my boat. Especially with my Grand Kids.

This is how we spend every weekend in the summer. I don't think I could live any other way.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure wish we could swing by and tie up on a nice weekend, that's what we do as well. We would bore everyone on board with our fish chatter.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396472658.479126.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396472667.664581.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396472677.359107.jpg

All our marinas here are covered. Mine collapsed from snow loads about 5 years ago and almost destroyed the boat. Mine was among the few that survived. I spent many years bringing it back into shape.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice boat. I would love to get my boat into freshwater for an hour to kill the barnacles that plague us here. I could bring my boat up to tie up with you guys but it makes such a racket if I try to bring it on a road. We don't have any covered marina's here and I am glad we don't. I pay enough to keep the boat there and if they covered it, they would probably double it. My marina is quite large. I don't know how many boats we have but it must be 400 or so. The marina also has a great Tiki bar with a band every weekend that gets mobbed. My boat is in a slip right in front of it so I have a great spot.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are house boats behind my boat. They are permanently there and don't have engines or anything. They are built on barges and are hooked up permanently to utilities.

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The houseboats are very cool. I am at the Lake of the Ozarks. Our marina is owned by the slip owners and is among the largest here, about 400 slips. So I pay a condo type fee to run the general facilities, I actually bought the slip. It's cheaper than a vacation home or condo, but not by much. But if the neighbors get loud or obnoxious, you can drop ropes and slide away. No fish tank on board. We do have a fresh water barnacle problem ourselves. I love the idea of all the places you can go, but don't envy the dealing with the saltwater. The resale value of saltwater boats here is about 1/3 for the same boat that's never been in it. And I rarely have a seasick passenger. But access to the ocean would be worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like boating. We cruise by here all the time. The custom is to blast America the Beautiful or the National Anthem when you go by.

T
he Trade Center used to be right here.

Last edited:

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice view! Mine is a bit different and not as grand. But lots of bass.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396496693.253982.jpg

Paul, if I wanted to start with one live food source to try to sustain a mandarin, where would you start? I had given up in raising them because they all eventually starved. Tried raising pods and it didn't work out, use to hatch baby brine for FW fry, but what would you do? Worms?

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice view! Mine is a bit different and not as grand. But lots of bass.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396496693.253982.jpg

Paul, if I wanted to start with one live food source to try to sustain a mandarin, where would you start? I had given up in raising them because they all eventually starved. Tried raising pods and it didn't work out, use to hatch baby brine for FW fry, but what would you do? Worms?

My scooter jumped on Nutramar Ova like they were pods (she was pretty hungry when I got her.) It's not live, but it's pretty close to a natural food for them.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back