Tank not growing coralline and has algae

devin.reed2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My 32g tank has been running for about 10 months now and I see some signs of coralline algae on the powerheads. I do a pretty good job of keeping up with regular maintenance (20% water changes once a week). However, my rocks don’t appear to be growing coralline algae. They do tend to have lots of algae that comes off with a turkey baster. Does anyone have advice? I haven’t tested my water in a while…I could be more involved with my tank but it’s been hard for me to motivate during the winter season. I have a hammer that is doing very well and a few zoas and a GSP on the back wall. The zoas are struggling. I do have a few fish but definitely need more.

Water parameters are below (right before weekly water change):
Temperature: 78F
Salinity: 1.024/1.025sg
Phosphate: 0.052ppm
Alkalinity: 9.84dKH
pH: 7.9
Calcium: 400ppm
Magnesium: 1400ppm
Nitrates: 2ppm

IMG_4086.jpeg IMG_4147.png

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO ease up on water changes. Nutrients are pretty low. And typically coraline grows on plastics and such first. Then starts showing on rocks. Pretty young tank. Easy does it in this hobby friend

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CCA started taking off in my tank once I figured out the alk consumption and was able to keep parameters fairly stable for a bit. I think I can also credit the trochus snail shell which had a bunch of purple and pinks on it.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that is just over a year and I'm just starting to get coriline. I still get hair algae I have to clean off rocks. My other tank just turned 4 years, and is finally starting to run on cruse control.

Things take a lot longer than you think they should to even out. I'm sure there's a scientific, biologic reason, but that's above my pay grade. All I know is patience is a virtue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back