coralline covering zoa frag plug

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so a quick question, I have a rasta zoa frag that is now completely covered with coralline, which in a since is great of course, but my question is, in anyone's experience, can zoa's grow on top of/over coralline? Or should I scrape the coralline off so the zoa can continue to out grow the frag plug?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so a quick question, I have a rasta zoa frag that is now completely covered with coralline, which in a since is great of course, but my question is, in anyone's experience, can zoa's grow on top of/over coralline? Or should I scrape the coralline off so the zoa can continue to out grow the frag plug?
Zoas can grow on top of coralline. That's the ideal coating for a frag imo. It keeps other algae at bay that DO bother zoas

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Coralline will not smother them if that's your concern

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline will not smother them if that's your concern
No, I am not concerned about smothering, I am concerned about growth stunting. I am just curious if the zoa can just grow right over top of the coralline, or if they will just stop where they are because they are surrounded by coralline.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I am not concerned about smothering, I am concerned about growth stunting. I am just curious if the zoa can just grow right over top of the coralline, or if they will just stop where they are because they are surrounded by coralline.
I would venture to guess that they prefer a coralline substrate to grow over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back