Tank Suggestions/Help Deciding

apuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm completely new to reefing, so apologies in advance for any stupid questions/comments/etc.

I've been wanting to get into reefing for a long time, but it's always seemed very daunting and like a lot of work. That being said, I think I'm finally ready to dip my feet into it and I've been watching all of the BRS 5 min videos, looking up tanks, costs, etc, but I am still having difficulty understanding what I should get, so I would love any/all suggestions.

Ultimately, I'd like something that won't require too much time each week and will also allow me to easily go on vacations without having to worry about the tank or needing to pay someone to come maintain it while I'm out (longest trip I'll ever take is maybe 2 weeks - I'd use an autofeeder or something). Also, what I want is the ability to have some coral (nothing too difficult and no coral that would require me to start checking calcium/alkalinity), along with maybe 5 or so fish (maybe 2 clownfish, a small tang, etc) - and yes, I understand Tangs get big, but I can always rehouse them and replace them with a small one again as needed. And I eventually want to add an anemone as well for the clownfish.

I'd like to get a tank around 60 gallons (I have the space for the tank), but my difficulty there is I don't really have any place to put the RODI along with giant 40 gallon trashcans. I can stick the RODI in my laundry room and hook it up to the washer outlets/drain, but I won't have any room for the trashcan/bucket in there to keep water sitting around. The other issue with such a large tank is they're obviously more expensive (I have the money for it so I don't have a problem spending the money, but I'd rather not if there are better options). That being said, I don't want just a plain tank and then have to add things that hang around the sides and back of it - aesthetics matter a lot to me, so I'm willing to pay more for that if/as needed.

I'm also open to going with a smaller tank, like a 40 gallon, in order to maybe do away with the giant trash cans to house the clean water, but then the downside is fewer coral/fish.

So what all do you recommend? Again, focusing on that trash can space issue along with wanting something that will be as easy and low maintenance/work as possible (meaning, it will need to have an ATO).

The tanks I've been researching and that I like so far are the Waterbox Marine X 60.2 Plus Edition and the Marine X 90.3 Plus Edition, or the Red Sea Max E-260 Complete Reef System (and adding an ATO to it). Thoughts? I'd absolutely love to spend much less on the tanks and the sump and equipment and all, but love to hear all suggestions!

Thank you!

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try using an ATO plumbed directly into your RODI. Might save space. Also consider other ways of storing the water. Perhaps it could be displayed.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand Tangs get big, but I can always rehouse them and replace them with a small one again as needed.
It isn't entirely the size of the fish, it is the fact that tangs are active, territorial fish that react to stress by getting sick and then dying.

A 6'+ long tank, and some marine keeping experience, will yield more reliable success with tangs and other more challenging fish.

ShanePike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 90g just fine without the big trashcans. Had a 5g container for ATO, and a 10g container for water changes. I mixed up my salt water in the 10g container, did my water change when the water was ready, and then stored the container until the next water change. The RODI hung in my laundry room, and I only made water when I needed it. With a 60g tank, you could get by with two 5g containers if you needed to.

Planning out my new build, I went with the Fuji Cube 57g shallow. I love the shallower tanks, and it was the largest tank that I could fit in the only space where I had room for a tank. The smaller your tank, the more limited you are. I'm already frustrated with how many fish can't live long-term in a 57g tank, but it's the largest I can go with.

OP
OP
A

apuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try using an ATO plumbed directly into your RODI. Might save space. Also consider other ways of storing the water. Perhaps it could be displayed.
Hadn't thought of this, but unfortunately there's no water hookup near where I'm wanting to setup the tank

OP
OP
A

apuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 90g just fine without the big trashcans. Had a 5g container for ATO, and a 10g container for water changes. I mixed up my salt water in the 10g container, did my water change when the water was ready, and then stored the container until the next water change. The RODI hung in my laundry room, and I only made water when I needed it. With a 60g tank, you could get by with two 5g containers if you needed to.

Planning out my new build, I went with the Fuji Cube 57g shallow. I love the shallower tanks, and it was the largest tank that I could fit in the only space where I had room for a tank. The smaller your tank, the more limited you are. I'm already frustrated with how many fish can't live long-term in a 57g tank, but it's the largest I can go with.
I suppose that's the way I'll need to do it, is just use regular 5 gallon containers and no trash bins. Also, I'll look into the Fuji Cube as well, thank you! What equipment did you also purchase/add on to it? as I'm assuming it doesn't come with everything you need like the waterbox marines do?

ShanePike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose that's the way I'll need to do it, is just use regular 5 gallon containers and no trash bins. Also, I'll look into the Fuji Cube as well, thank you! What equipment did you also purchase/add on to it? as I'm assuming it doesn't come with everything you need like the waterbox marines do?
That's right: it only comes with the hardware for the overflows.

It's not up and running yet, but I've spent months doing research and here's what I've collected for it so far:
  • Orphek iCon with tank mount (I was set on the XR30, but got a great deal on this from someone local getting out of the hobby, and found I really loved it once I started reading up on it.)
  • 2 Jebao ELW-20M (Ordered these directly from AliExpress. The price of wavemakers is ridiculous, and the higher price doesn't come with higher reliability. I can buy six of these for less than two Nero 5s.)
  • 200 Watt (Single Element) Innovative Marine Helio PTC Smart Heater, plus a second 200-watt element
  • ApexEL (Part of the local hobbyists getting-out sale. I was (eventually) planning on going with the GHL.)
  • BRS 5 Stage Premium Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back