Tank Transfer Method

Salties Diner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a good method, but for someone like myself who lives in Northern Territory Australia and my tank sits at 90-95º without the use of a chiller. Any tips on how I get around that without purchasing another two chillers?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a good method, but for someone like myself who lives in Northern Territory Australia and my tank sits at 90-95º without the use of a chiller. Any tips on how I get around that without purchasing another two chillers?

Buy all your fish in the winter? ;)

ArieWasHere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ hahaha, I got a question about Velvet. after all fish are passed from
Having velvet. how long does the bacteria/infection stay in the tank?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ hahaha, I got a question about Velvet. after all fish are passed from
Having velvet. how long does the bacteria/infection stay in the tank?

6 weeks if it was just velvet... but go fallow for 72 days if you suspect ich might have also been in play.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because if even one single organism makes it (and they can) you have defeated the purpose.

Ich can even self-encapsulate in gill plates and survive copper treatment

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because if even one single organism makes it (and they can) you have defeated the purpose.

^^This. If you are looking to save $$$ by not having to make all new SW for TTM, then use water stored from a recent display tank water change. Obviously, this only works if you are 100% confident that your display tank is disease free and the water is "clean".

Salties Diner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy all your fish in the winter? ;)
Ha Ha, it is winter!!! :(

Y'all don't have air conditioning there?
Air cons?? Ha, yeah but I would have to Mortgage my house to afford to run them 24/7 to keep the tank at the required temperature in this heat/humidity. Wouldn't be so bad if the tank was in a small room, but its in a open plan arrangement. :p

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Air cons?? Ha, yeah but I would have to Mortgage my house to afford to run them 24/7 to keep the tank at the required temperature in this heat/humidity. Wouldn't be so bad if the tank was in a small room, but its in a open plan arrangement. :p
I live in louisiana and everyone has air conditioning here. Heat index right now is about 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Air conditioner stays on auto.

Salties Diner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in louisiana and everyone has air conditioning here. Heat index right now is about 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Air conditioner stays on auto.
No worries bud, for me a chiller works better as we get a lot of black outs in the wet season and a chiller is easier to run off a small generator.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries bud, for me a chiller works better as we get a lot of black outs in the wet season and a chiller is easier to run off a small generator.
And y'all have spiders there the size of my dog. Lol
But I would love to see the great barrier reef one day.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I like the shortened version you posted here. Easy to follow, easy to understand. I followed all the links down to Treatment Options 102. A great wealth of information and much appreciated. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

runzwithscissors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could put a tee in the line from the chiller in your display tank and run a line to the additional qt tanks using pecs. Just leave the pecs line laying in the qt tanks to cool it off. I'm sure the QT tanks will be of smaller size ergo wouldn't take a large line to chill the qt tanks and reduce the efficiency to your dt very much. Plumb the return back to the chiller return. Since the cold water in the line would cool off the qt tanks yet it remains closed no water from the infected tank would be introduced (I hope I explained this right, lol).

Salties Diner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put a tee in the line from the chiller in your display tank and run a line to the additional qt tanks using pecs. Just leave the pecs line laying in the qt tanks to cool it off. I'm sure the QT tanks will be of smaller size ergo wouldn't take a large line to chill the qt tanks and reduce the efficiency to your dt very much. Plumb the return back to the chiller return. Since the cold water in the line would cool off the qt tanks yet it remains closed no water from the infected tank would be introduced (I hope I explained this right, lol).
Yeah I know what you mean, its just the cool pipe that keeps the water temp down. That's a good idea, I might give that a go! Cheers scissors.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saw this pic on Facebook and thought about you. Lol
FB_IMG_1440466007868.jpg

Salties Diner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
↑↑↑↑ Ha Ha Ha funny s#!t.............. ↑↑↑↑

And y'all have spiders there the size of my dog. Lol
But I would love to see the great barrier reef one day.

My wife and I went to the Great Barrier Reef on our honeymoon a few years back, it was amazing! We do plan to go again. Definitely should be one for the Bucket List!!!!

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My wife and I went to the Great Barrier Reef on our honeymoon a few years back, it was amazing! We do plan to go again. Definitely should be one for the Bucket List!!!!
I do want to see it. In the back of my mind I would want to try to learn to dive in the future, but idk. We'll see. Do y'all dive?

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's why when I saw that meme I thought of you. Lol

Salties Diner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to see it. In the back of my mind I would want to try to learn to dive in the future, but idk. We'll see. Do y'all dive?

No I don't, but would love to learn also. However we did do the under water walk with the dive helmets as pictured.
upload_2015-8-25_12-15-28.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-25_12-14-8.jpeg
    upload_2015-8-25_12-14-8.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 360

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back