Tanked Cancelled

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the creativity of the custom tanks themselves, at least much of the time for the few I watched. It's always fun to think "What could I put there?". However, their fake coral did nothing for me and personally think FOWLR would be better. Who wants to clean algae from fake coral? In the end though, I think it could have been handled much better. They COULD have made frequent disclaimers that they were only showing parts of the build, it takes much longer, and directed people to information sources. For some reason they didn't do that, perhaps not wanting to reveal how bad some of their shortcuts really were?

I live in Pensacola and still not seen the drum set build, but I have seen the Pirate Ship they built at the Florida Welcome Center on Perdido Key. Not impressed at all. The stand was creative! The tank looks like an over-sized version of a kid's guppy tank. I was allowed to open the cabinet and decided I didn't "really" need to see more with one glance. It reminded me why they really don't show much about what goes under the hood.

I saw the tank is Salt Life St Augustine. Just looks old fashioned and dingy.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree on throwing all those fish in at once but who truly knows what happened behind the scenes.
A bunch of people know. Sometimes they say it. Sometimes they post about it in threads like this. Sometimes they don't. It is a minefield.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit of a shame of how much Bretts true colors are showin on R2R Instagram right now.

The guy is just trolling everyone I don’t think he cares and he shouldn’t, also it’s not that nice what everyone is saying about the show it’s “realty tv”

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't blame them for anything as I never looked at the show as how to care for proper fish. I think some people assume that if they didn't like the show that it was for that specific reason.

Agreed this was made for tv it’s entertaining TV is not educational I don’t think it’s ever been. I doubt these people are building massive tanks to let fishes die

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed this was made for tv it’s entertaining TV is not educational I don’t think it’s ever been.

It, like all reality tv, is billed as real, and it was billed as educational (trust the shark and all). The did try a few things, but didn't really stick to them. The idea that people should know that a show billed as reality is not actually reality is strange, and seems to be having cake and eating it too.

I doubt these people are building massive tanks to let fishes die

Your doubt is misplaced, because a bunch of people have direct experience.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that it did no benefit in that regard, countless folks including many on this board have and wouldnhave made similarly poor decisions on when and how to add fish and coral.

Look how many posts there are on here that say, "My LFS said...".

Also, waiting 3+ months to add fish isn't good for TV when the show relies on grand reveals. Not saying that's rught, but it is the reason.

While people want to criticise them for their work and knowledge, let's be real. You don't become the #1 builder by producing garbage. Word gets around.

I’m not saying they aren’t knowledgeable or successful. What I am saying is they are incredibly irresponsible for not at least hinting at the additional work that goes into setting up and maintaining a tank. Any true “professional” would not allow their work to distilled in a watered down, important detail-omitting fashion without at least adding a disclaimer at the intro of the show....

...A professional in this industry should know that putting a tank outdoors in Las Vegas and having its survival being completely depend on a chiller is a terrible idea. It not just about making the sale. It’s about having the integrity to say “No”.

Warning: Saltwater aquariums require specialized care. Failure to do so will result in the loss of livestock. If you are unfamiliar with keeping a saltwater tank, please consult with ATM or your local aquarium maintenance service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy is just trolling everyone I don’t think he cares and he shouldn’t, also it’s not that nice what everyone is saying about the show it’s “realty tv”

I agree but as a “Professional” he should conduct himself a bit better. In my line of work you wouldn’t believe how much I have to bite my tongue when people come after us.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not saying they aren’t knowledgeable or successful. What I am saying is they are incredibly irresponsible for not at least hinting at the additional work that goes into setting up and maintaining a tank. Any true “professional” would not allow their work to distilled in a watered down, important detail-omitting fashion without at least adding a disclaimer at the intro of the show....

...A professional in this industry should know that putting a tank outdoors in Las Vegas and having its survival being completely depend on a chiller is a terrible idea. It not just about making the sale. It’s about having the integrity to say “No”.

Warning: Saltwater aquariums require specialized care. Failure to do so will result in the loss of livestock. If you are unfamiliar with keeping a saltwater tank, please consult with ATM or your local aquarium maintenance service.
It would have been neat for them to do a show on behind d the scenes of taking care of a tank.

Allen glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it latgely uninformative. Nothing about the setup nothing about ongoing care. Just ooh look big fish tank in a funny environment.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it latgely uninformative. Nothing about the setup nothing about ongoing care. Just ooh look big fish tank in a funny environment.
That is exactly how the show is designed.....their target audience isn't die hard reefers (hence the reason they started inserting celebrities in every episode). It is strictly for entertainment....they aren't trying to teach anybody anything.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll miss tanks being built where money is no object.

This was the joy! I’m sure a few of the people happy it’s canceled used to watch on the low and just imagine what if!

I seen more than a few episodes and will probably catch reruns if I walk in on my mother watching she loves this show and she barely speaks English but that’s the joy of the show it’s buiding great tanks!

That is exactly how the show is designed.....their target audience isn't die hard reefers (hence the reason they started inserting celebrities in every episode). It is strictly for entertainment....they aren't trying to teach anybody anything.

As a hardcore reefer the best show we have are brs info videos they should start inserting some drama into it lol “ ohh noooo we accidentally overdosed magnesium into our ULN tank what do we do now(Ryan’s voice) lol

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several of their "Tanked" aquariums for sale on Ebay and Craigslist not long after the shows aired at sky high prices. I have never seen one of them sell yet though. Guess some people saw enough during the "reveal" to adjust their concept of value.

PirateDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people on here bashing these guys. But I find it funny that I haven’t seen any post about animal Planet. If it wasn’t for them there would have never been a show. A lot of people would’ve went out and did the same exact thing they did for the money they made.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people on here bashing these guys. But I find it funny that I haven’t seen any post about animal Planet. If it wasn’t for them there would have never been a show. A lot of people would’ve went out and did the same exact thing they did for the money they made.

Animal Planet is just as responsible as the "professionals" at ATM. There I hope that clarifies that for you lol! But then again I already said that earlier.

One of my old customers, Dr. Marty Becker DVM, has been featured on Animal Planet or similar venues lots of times but guess what he is a professional that cares about pets....that is his profession and his calling.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It, like all reality tv, is billed as real, and it was billed as educational (trust the shark and all). The did try a few things, but didn't really stick to them. The idea that people should know that a show billed as reality is not actually reality is strange, and seems to be having cake and eating it too.
I fully agree with the point you're making, but unfortunately nearly all reality TV turned into "alternative" reality TV about 10 years ago. That label which was used heavily at the turn of this century really doesn't apply to many programs anymore.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s Wheeler Dealers and there’s Pimp My Ride. Both were popular reality shows but only one showed the reality of the business. The truth is and just as with this hobby, there is A LOT of difficulty and heartache that comes with the territory and it really should be shown. Tanked was the saltwater equivalent of Pimp My Ride. Good riddance.

PirateDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Animal Planet is just as responsible as the "professionals" at ATM. There I hope that clarifies that for you lol! But then again I already said that earlier.

One of my old customers, Dr. Marty Becker DVM, has been featured on Animal Planet or similar venues lots of times but guess what he is a professional that cares about pets....that is his profession and his calling.
Well I guess you told me

I don’t believe I said anything about not seeing any animal planet post from Lowell lemon I was speaking in general. And I may have worded it wrong. My point is if you look at a lot of the post on this thread it’s a lot of Hateful talk. Not all post but its a big portion. I thought R2R was supposed to be better than others but when you see Alot of the comments it’s just sad. For the record I didn’t care for the show.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back