OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost is a big concern, the cheapest way to get started is to only measure alkalinity. Then when alkalinity is low, replace it with a balanced calcium and alkalinity method. You really won't get too far off by doing that. Calcium will stay about where it is in your starting salt mix, so if it starts OK, it will stay OK. Same for magnesium if you are using a good quality two or three part additive system that includes an appropriate amount (as my DIY does). I've not used it for a long time, and I've not cost compared it to anything recently, but the Salifert kit is a good choice for alkalinity.

Nitrate and phosphate are useful, but not critical in all situations, especially if you have no algae issues. If I were to test for very low phosphate, I'd probably get the Hanna phosphorus checker, but the Hach PO-19 phosphate kit is also very good for values above 0.03 ppm (not cheap either).

I'd never buy any pH kit. I'd always get a meter. Even a cheap one can be checked, if not calibrated, unlike a kit.

Last I was measuring alkalinity, I did DIY titrations with a standard acid (purchased) and a pH meter. :)
Makes perfect sense :) Thanks! I I'm not dosing yet, could said alk be replenished via water changes?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes perfect sense :) Thanks! I I'm not dosing yet, could said alk be replenished via water changes?

In very low demand situations, yes, but once you have any significant coralline algae or hard coral growth, it won't keep up. It is the first thing to show dosing needs.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In very low demand situations, yes, but once you have any significant coralline algae or hard coral growth, it won't keep up. It is the first thing to show dosing needs.

+1

I have to check my SPS tank Twice a Day and Dose for Alkalinity.

My Three Non-SPS Tanks get Checked Once or Twice a Week Only for Alkalinity.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'll be accumulating slowly, so no worries there, at least at first. n_n I plan to do mostly softies and LPS.

memontgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you find a test kit you like, what is the recommended way of cleaning the test vials? I'm currently using RO/DI, but I remember reading somewhere about dipping them in an acid. Just can't remember where I read it or what acid it was. Any ideas??

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have precipitate ok the vials (typically only on Cal and alk tests), you cab use vinegar (acetic acid), then rinse thoroughly with rodi and air dry.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back