The AI Hydra 64 - A Dissapointing Start, Did I Just Downgrade?

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I thought id made a thread on my initial reactions to the new AI Hydra 64.

I purchased this light as an upgrade to my Hydra 26 HD that I've had for around 18m now. I totally love the 26HD, great control, WIFI, etc.
I decided to upgrade to the 64 to give me better spread as I was pushing it with my 26HD, I also recently made a small frag tank so I thought it would be perfect to use my 26 on that.

I must admit I didn't do much digging on the new 64 before I purchased it, I was only aware that there was no WIFI on this model, apart from this I expected pretty much a 56 just updated. Boy was I wrong.

My first reactions are its packaged nice, no plastic bag to protect it like on the 26 but it made it here fine.
The power cord has a barrel plug between the light and the power brick this time around. No water protector on this jack, a little disappointed as it's designed to be used around saltwater and in a humid environment.
Only two mounting holes for screws. I would have liked to have had the same 4 in the corners or even 6 to give options as mounting down the middle is hard to level and it blocks the fan if you use a bracket.

As for the light itself, it seems well made, all LED's work (as expected ^^) not much to note here.

Here is where things get really disappointing.
No WIFI: while I knew this it just seems like a step backward. BT is fine for local usage but any sort of cloud integration is impossible now unless AI releases a standalone hub product to connect to. I have to admit I used the web app more to show off to friends than to actually control the tank but it would have been nice to have the option.

You cannot pair to older devices: I get that the lighting is different because of a change in the number of LED's but it still is a bummer not to be able to pair them both up. Yes, I can run the same profile on the two devices but it's not the same as having one-button control for both lights.

The control in the app its self is a serious step backward.
I mean, whats happened here??!
The home screen is awful, the old 3 buttons - on, off, and schedule worked perfectly. I like the new Feed mode button, more to use for WC,s or when I'm working on the tank but that is it...
You cannot just turn the lights off from the dashboard anymore...? The only way I have found to do it is to use the new live demo mode and manually pull everything to 0..?! really?! like why..?!
What is this new Live Demo crap?? I see 0 use for it apart from turning the light off.
What happened to Manual mode?? Like this was really, really useful. Now, how do I just dial-up my blues if I want? The live demo is the closest thing to it but you don't have your current settings (from your profile that is running right now).. the only way I can see to do it is to actually edit the current time in the profile and then reload your old one in..

Overall I'm disappointed with the new models. I'm hoping alot of this is addressed in software updates but I'm not going to hold my breath personally I think unless the community makes enough noise we will be stuck with this.
Its a pretty huge deal killer for me, personally I ranked Hydra's as one of, if not the best light on the market but this new model has drastically changed my mind. Would i go and buy another one? probably not. Id go as far as saying I'm thinking of returning the light and going to for something else.

Just my 2cents after having the new light for a few hours.

Kind regards, TinCanHero.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts on the Hydra 64. I'm guessing you have to use the AiApp with theses lights. I'm sitting with old 5LED puck Hydra's with a Director as a controller. You give me pause for thought on upgrading via the AI line, will do a lot more research on them.

Best of luck.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I just read on the APEX forum, although the Hydra is Bluetooth based, it might have the possibility to have the WiFi "Switched" on in the future. Something to investigate maybe...

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your thoughts on the Hydra 64. I'm guessing you have to use the AiApp with theses lights. I'm sitting with old 5LED puck Hydra's with a Director as a controller. You give me pause for thought on upgrading via the AI line, will do a lot more research on them.

Best of luck.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great light, the build quality is good, maybe not as good as my 26 (things just feel looser, like the join between the aluminum and plastic front) but this might be in my head. The barrel plug isn't a great choice but hopefully it will hold up over time and not corrode.

The big killer for me is the control. The WIFI isn't a huge deal but a step backwards for sure. The biggest problem is the app, I have no idea what went wrong in development and why they thought these changes were an improvement. Something tells me none of the developers actually have a tank ^^

On the plus side its all software related and not hardware, so it's easy to update and fix all of the issues even after they have shipped.
I'm really hoping they address these issues soon with a software update. If I had the choice again id probably ebay a pair of 52's second hand over a new 64 at this point. better control and more spread for not much more cash if you find a deal.

Kind regards, TinCanHero.

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I just read on the APEX forum, although the Hydra is Bluetooth based, it might have the possibility to have the WiFi "Switched" on in the future. Something to investigate maybe...

That's crazy if true, I have no idea why a company would think its a good idea to have the device WIFI ready but not support it in software! Id love it to be correct thou!

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you posted this - I’m new to reefing and thought I was just looking for things in the app that reefers don’t need! I don’t understand why you can’t turn off the lights. I also can’t figure out how to edit times on an existing schedule - the only way that works for me is to click the auto setup and start from scratch. This was extremely annoying when I was first starting my tank and adding a little more light time every week. Some of the buttons on the home screen simply do nothing when I press them - like the schedule button just does not work.

Is there an alternative app to control newer AI lights?

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you posted this - I’m new to reefing and thought I was just looking for things in the app that reefers don’t need! I don’t understand why you can’t turn off the lights. I also can’t figure out how to edit times on an existing schedule - the only way that works for me is to click the auto setup and start from scratch. This was extremely annoying when I was first starting my tank and adding a little more light time every week. Some of the buttons on the home screen simply do nothing when I press them - like the schedule button just does not work.

Is there an alternative app to control newer AI lights?

Unfortunately not, the app has taken a nose dive into the ground.
it's seriously frustrating that it has been changed from how it was, it literally worked perfectly.
I just looked at the profile stuff, seems its been changed so you now select a time on the graph and then press the Edit button in the preset menu below.
Your schedule button should activate your currently loaded profile at the current time (basically just switch to it from manual mode)

Same app to control the new lights, just a new UI and interface for it. I have no idea why but there we go.

So no wifi....but can it connect to a director or wireless controllers?
Hm.....
Im happy with my old non HD fixtures + director :)
Im waiting for the "New super awesome control hub" that costs only "£199.99" at that point it will be a straight-up FU AI from me.

Sounds like you got Appled.
Pay a premium price for an inferior product.
Yup.
I'm praying they fix the software, I can live with the product hardware, but the software is a killer.
I do wonder what went wrong thou..

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just incase anyone hasn't seen the new UI, I just took a few SS from my phone.
I also just realised the weather effects have been removed also..

Hydra 26 HD

Screenshot_20200625_174629_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20200625_174633_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Hydra 64

Screenshot_20200625_174608_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

Screenshot_20200625_174619_com.aquaillumination.prime.jpg

gandorf_2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the 52 HD. i love the fact that i can access them WIFI, love the storm mode also!! After a few years they are failing. i sent 1 53HD in for repair.. was told they didn't have the parts for repair, but they could upgrade me to a 64 at a cheaper price! BAD MOVE
64 lacks the WIFI and storm mode, and a little longer than a year after getting my ^$, it is dead... support ran me through trying to reset and reconnect... no luck there... then they had me hook up my 53 power supply to my 64.. no luck again!!! now i have 3 $800 paperweights!!! what the heck??? they want me to send all 3 in....not unless i get 3 free replacements for all my issues!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back