The Black pearl/ Reef Savvy 240

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to understand that reef savy is not only the highest quality tank you can get, their tanks are pieces of art. That said, I have heard many great things about planet aquarium as well. You'll have to pm me if /when you get a quote from them. I'd be interested in the cost comparison.
They emailed me and I have to find a LFS that I like here so they can reach out to them and tell them about the build specs I want. Haha. The one's I've been to here aren't anything impressive by any means. I live just outside Oklahoma City and the hobby here isn't that big. I wish we had a store selection like Dallas or Los Angeles.

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice box! That turned out pretty cool. :)

FWIW, my 200g planet tank (84x24x24) with eurobracing and hybrid bottom ran me around 2k. No overflow in that price.
They make nice tanks for the $. They are no reef savvy though. But you pay for it. RS runs around twice the price from what I've seen. And nearly a year wait time.
I've been in contact with RS and they told me it'd be about 6 months from when I put a deposit down on the tank. :D

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means, what you would call Well Off financially but I have this genetic flaw that when I like something and its within reason of by ability to afford it, I can't settle for something else just because I can save some money, once i saw their 2013 MACNA video I was sold.Because of the wait time i did look at others, but that thing that genetic flaw "I want that one", i kept coming back to RS. When I had my first conversation with Felix, then I knew this guy has to build my tank. But that just me.
I am guilty of having the same flaw. That might be a common thread with Reef Savvy customers. I settled for something I didn't quite want the last time I bought a tank, to save a few bucks and have regretted that decision for 10 years now. I saw my first RS in person about 4 months after I ordered mine. From that point on, I knew I made the right decision.

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of having the same flaw. That might be a common thread with Reef Savvy customers. I settled for something I didn't quite want the last time I bought a tank, to save a few bucks and have regretted that decision for 10 years now. I saw my first RS in person about 4 months after I ordered mine. From that point on, I knew I made the right decision.
I'd be in the same boat if I wanted to get everything I could ASAP. But I'm going to wait until I know I can get a RS Tank, one that I'll have no regrets getting! :D

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be in the same boat if I wanted to get everything I could ASAP. But I'm going to wait until I know I can get a RS Tank, one that I'll have no regrets getting! :D
I sent in my deposit a few weeks short of one year ago. I figure I still have a few months before I see mine. They probably should be a little more honest about the turnaround time, but I think most people that do their research before ordering, are well aware that it won't be six months. As for me, I am overly patient - almost to a fault. So, while I do get anxious at times, I am good with the wait.

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in my deposit a few weeks short of one year ago. I figure I still have a few months before I see mine. They probably should be a little more honest about the turnaround time, but I think most people that do their research before ordering, are well aware that it won't be six months. As for me, I am overly patient - almost to a fault. So, while I do get anxious at times, I am good with the wait.
I am the same way! Do they let you make payments over time so you don't have to pay the rest of the amount all at once?

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the same way! Do they let you make payments over time so you don't have to pay the rest of the amount all at once?
Yes, you can send in payments whenever you want. I have mine paid for now, just waiting on the shipping bill. Mine is half the size of the Black Pearl though. :)

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can send in payments whenever you want. I have mine paid for now, just waiting on the shipping bill. Mine is half the size of the Black Pearl though. :)
If you don't mind me asking, what was the final cost? I was looking to have a 100gal built, but I might go a little bigger if I can. It was going to be 60" x 24" x 16". I might go to 72" x 24" x 18"

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see this tank all together. Having your sump in a separate room is so nice. Jealous. What's your plans for coral and fish? Seems like everyone cares more about the tank then what's gunna be in it. Hahah.

Can't believe you guys are waiting a year + to get a tank built. I don't see how 5 pieces of glass siliconed together is considered a piece of art. :)

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, what was the final cost? I was looking to have a 100gal built, but I might go a little bigger if I can. It was going to be 60" x 24" x 16". I might go to 72" x 24" x 18"

I had my tank built by Leemar in San Diego.
96x30x21. 1/2", 3 sides starphire, recessed eurobrace, external overflow and I paid $1900. Took them around 2 months to build it.

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my tank built by Leemar in San Diego.
96x30x21. 1/2", 3 sides starphire, recessed eurobrace, external overflow and I paid $1900. Took them around 2 months to build it.
Not bad.. However, I don't want to max out my credit card. Haha. If I can pay for it over the months and get other equipment at the same time, that's fine with me. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your comments and encouragement. Plans for the tank is mixed reef SPS dominat. Fish mostly tangs, been reading a lot of 4FordFamily and Humblefish threads, and wrasse if I can figure out how to have a small sand bed section, because I'm going bare bottom. This tank has a great looking dark gray bottom, which I think will look awesome with coralline algae, zoa and encrusting coral

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People should understand Reef Savvy is pretty much a one man show. His family helps. If you followed him you would see he has in shop builds going, on site builds going, I saw on another forum where he did an 600 gal on site build that was just spectacular. So if you think about it, any personal problem, business glitches, weather problems( they are in Miami) could cause set backs that would have rippling effects in distribution. Maybe his turn around will get better maybe not, but I've never been more patient for anything as I have for this project, must say the last two months weren't easy, but know it's here it's on the stand and I'm loving it image.jpeg image.jpeg

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Black Pearl which box enclosure is that? Dimensions?
Really nice design and I been looking at something like that but I want it to hold the power supply so I was going to make it out of plywood.

Links?

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Black Pearl which box enclosure is that? Dimensions?
Really nice design and I been looking at something like that but I want it to hold the power supply so I was going to make it out of plywood.

Links?
The Apex box enclosure? That's call an Attabox. Google it because I;m pretty sure it comes in a larger size, mine is 18"x16"x10 found on ebay. shop around because prices vary greatly and they have a clear or opaque front

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 61 47.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back