OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be fine you're still in range make sure you feed everything before you black everything out
I did. Well at least the fish. Not the acans and lobos.

Should I put a little fish food in tomorrow?

mik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don't want to feed no kind of nitrate or anything to the tank for 3 days

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont starve the fish. Its just cyano and will work its self out. its just the ugly phase. you be better off adding vitaminn c and or bacteria. probidio mb7 etc. a refugium would also be with looking into.
Also slightly worried about ph. Usually runs up to 8.1 with lights on and at night with alk dose it drops to about 7.95.
At 335pm it's around 7.94.

How low is too low
7.6 according to randy.

the DSB takes time to get going(build large beneficial bacteria). and gravity has a way of making things fall down on it and collect there. consider some more or diverse CUC for that. I have a 4 in dsb.
also double check you flow and make sure its nice and turbulent so stuff stays in suspension as long as possible so it gets to the skimmer. Is you sump funky, is the first indicator.

peroxide, imo an oxidiser will take out as much good stuff as bad just by its nature. So in a young tank with un established bio filter I personally wouldn't. By the time the peroxide treatment has an effect it may be gone just due to good husbandry. chemiclean is another option if it hangs around too long. but has its limits and is labor intensive with water changes.

also look into the food your feeding. In my tank I cant feed two little fishies marine snow. I get cyano the next day. I can over feed frozen and bottled phyto and zoo like a fool for weeks but the Snow just zaps me instantly. I have friends who use it daily too with no probs.

every tank is different.

mik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1476757136533.jpg
1476757178325.jpg

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont starve the fish. Its just cyano and will work its self out. its just the ugly phase. you be better off adding vitaminn c and or bacteria. probidio mb7 etc. a refugium would also be with looking into.
7.6 according to randy.

the DSB takes time to get going(build large beneficial bacteria). and gravity has a way of making things fall down on it and collect there. consider some more or diverse CUC for that. I have a 4 in dsb.
also double check you flow and make sure its nice and turbulent so stuff stays in suspension as long as possible so it gets to the skimmer. Is you sump funky, is the first indicator.

peroxide, imo an oxidiser will take out as much good stuff as bad just by its nature. So in a young tank with un established bio filter I personally wouldn't. By the time the peroxide treatment has an effect it may be gone just due to good husbandry. chemiclean is another option if it hangs around too long. but has its limits and is labor intensive with water changes.

also look into the food your feeding. In my tank I cant feed two little fishies marine snow. I get cyano the next day. I can over feed frozen and bottled phyto and zoo like a fool for weeks but the Snow just zaps me instantly. I have friends who use it daily too with no probs.

every tank is different.
Are u saying u would not do the blackout or u would feed the fish during it??

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did everything turn out
Still not sure. Did the 3 day. Well , sort of. Did full black out with black garbage bags on tank for 48 hours. Then lights out for 24. Got a little nervous about my anthias. Did 25% water change as well and vacuumed out the little bid of cyano that was still there. As of yesterday, im out of town, sand still looked good except sand facing front towards glass has started to pick up a little red. I also added 2 voyager powerheads behind the rocks to increase circulation. Now have 2 gyre 150s and 2 voyagers in a 59" tank. I think it's enough.

Will keep everyone posted. Still thinking it's gonna come back a little if not more. Will do a 10% change this week and vacuum anything suspicious.

I never had the "sheets" or anything on the rocks so I guess not much died off as I removed all from sand.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home last night. Brown is starting to come back on sand. Even in pretty high flow areas. Not sure of next move.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got home last night. Brown is starting to come back on sand. Even in pretty high flow areas. Not sure of next move.

My suggestion is still to put a sample under scope to fully identify what you have and figure out treatment options. If you don't have access to a microscope, send me a sample and I will do it for you.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I still think its ugly phase.

Def check out what it is for sure.

rule out unintended carbon dosing sources if its cyano, like amino dosing vitamin c,some even in foods etc
double check TDS in water sources
beef up CUC for variety of eaters, mostly snails I believe.

some second and third Opinions on ID Please #reefsquad
@reeferfoxx @mcarroll @brandon429

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think its ugly phase.

Def check out what it is for sure.

rule out unintended carbon dosing sources if its cyano, like amino dosing vitamin c,some even in foods etc
double check TDS in water sources
beef up CUC for variety of eaters, mostly snails I believe.

some second and third Opinions on ID Please #reefsquad
@reeferfoxx @mcarroll @brandon429
+1 to all of this. For poops and grins, do a phosphate check on your top off water to make sure it's not feeding po4 into your water.

Having a deep sand bed will help with nitrates later on. I think for now it needs to be left alone. Cycling and other things are going on in that sand bed that needs to be established. If you haven't added any pods to the tank, might try that too.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce it to 2 inch or less
Problem must be from that

I agree with keeping a thinner sand bed (2" or less, or none at all is my favorite) as they can be problematic.

5 months in though? I still vote for the change, but I don't see that being a cause (yet).

Yes looks like cyano. They love sand mainly. Love organics in the sand.

They also love when other algaes are choked out by a lack of nutrients – they can fix nitrogen gas and keep on growing all day long while every other algae is in the procsess of dying off.

I have a couple anthias amongst others and they love to eat.

Seems quick for Anthias....that's definitely an expert-level fish IMO....and 5 months in is too early....mostly too early for you. ;)

I did. Well at least the fish. Not the acans and lobos.

This is my best clue.....are you feeding corals regularly? Either broadcast or target?

That will foul a sandbed (indeed a whole tank, potentially) in a short amount of time.

Along with any other comments, could you also post your water paramenters and measure your lights?

Mostly I'd be interested in lux/PAR, PO4 and NO3.....but post everything you can. :)

(Didn't we have a conversation about this a little while back....or maybe we were both just in the same conversation?)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back