Euphyllia retracted, sagging, mouth gaping? Solutions?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted once and didnt get any tips but Im really helping someone can chime in there is no evidence anywhere online for what to do.
Backstory- I had a dino outbreak, i used dino X, it killed my SPS corals, but everything else was fine. I stopped treatment, over course of 2 weeks did 60% water change, now all my Euphyllia, all my hammers, all but one of my torches are dying. Already killed and tossed $600 worth of torches, so upset. I really need to save my hammers and last torches.

My only guesses are either the
1.)damage from the Dino X treatment took alot longer to show on the Euphyllia?
2.) The destruction of the microbiome opened up a slot for bad bacteria to infect the Euphyllia, maybe brown slime disease or some other pathogen is in there
3.) Something in the salt mix is disturbing the corals after the 60% water change

My water is tested EVERYDAY, using multiple test kits to route out bad testing, all my parameters are fine.

Alk- 8.9
PH- 8.3
Calcium- 405
Mag-1350
Phosph- 0.08
Nitrate- 9.5
Ammonia nitrite- 0

First image is my hammer 2nd is what my torch looks like, all mine look like this. at first i thought they were hungry i fed them alot, still doing it. someone has to know....should i dose cipro?

IMG_2309.jpg

1712231523015.png

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gaping mouths is not a good sign… I’ve had similar events but not enough successful solutions to offer advice ….
But I’d guarantee at least one torch head on R2R has an answer…so following

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were these levels for the past few months is my question?
How old is this tank?

Alk- 8.9
PH- 8.3
Calcium- 405
Mag-1350 This needs to be a bit higher
Phosph- 0.08 Has this always been the number
Nitrate- 9.5 ????
Ammonia nitrite- 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I posted once and didnt get any tips but Im really helping someone can chime in there is no evidence anywhere online for what to do.
Backstory- I had a dino outbreak, i used dino X, it killed my SPS corals, but everything else was fine. I stopped treatment, over course of 2 weeks did 60% water change, now all my Euphyllia, all my hammers, all but one of my torches are dying. Already killed and tossed $600 worth of torches, so upset. I really need to save my hammers and last torches.

My only guesses are either the
1.)damage from the Dino X treatment took alot longer to show on the Euphyllia?
2.) The destruction of the microbiome opened up a slot for bad bacteria to infect the Euphyllia, maybe brown slime disease or some other pathogen is in there
3.) Something in the salt mix is disturbing the corals after the 60% water change

My water is tested EVERYDAY, using multiple test kits to route out bad testing, all my parameters are fine.

Alk- 8.9
PH- 8.3
Calcium- 405
Mag-1350
Phosph- 0.08
Nitrate- 9.5
Ammonia nitrite- 0

First image is my hammer 2nd is what my torch looks like, all mine look like this. at first i thought they were hungry i fed them alot, still doing it. someone has to know....should i dose cipro?

IMG_2309.jpg

1712231523015.png
Can you provide a video?
I suspect in part a flow issue , hunger and yes effects from DinoX which I despise. If its dinoX and the water, I suggest 2 gallon water changes daily for 10-14 days

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were these levels for the past few months is my question?
How old is this tank?

Alk- 8.9
PH- 8.3
Calcium- 405
Mag-1350 This needs to be a bit higher
Phosph- 0.08 Has this always been the number
Nitrate- 9.5 ????
Ammonia nitrite- 0

No out of everything my nitrates and phos swings the most, everything else is stable. phos goes between 0.0 to 0.19 in the last several months. mainly due to dino outbreak and me trying to fix it with dosing neophos and neonitro trying to fix the dino outbreak. but the funny thing is that my corals were doing better then, with all the dinos and swinging phosphates, they still looked healthy. Its just NOW, they they are all doing bad. it happened fast too. happened right after i did my water changes after i stopped the dino X chemical from fauna marin.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a video?
I suspect in part a flow issue , hunger and yes effects from DinoX which I despise. If its dinoX and the water, I suggest 2 gallon water changes daily for 10-14 days
I thought maybe a flow issue too so i just 2 days ago swapped the flow around hoping to see some change. when i got home from work yesterday it was still bad.

Over course of a week i did a 60% waterchange. gradually. im 99% certain its either some sort of issue with the new water/salt mix im using, or a possible bacterial infection. or maybe the Euphyllia are slower to respond to that dino X chemical.....i will never use that stuff again or recommend it to anyone other than a fish only tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought maybe a flow issue too so i just 2 days ago swapped the flow around hoping to see some change. when i got home from work yesterday it was still bad.

Over course of a week i did a 60% waterchange. gradually. im 99% certain its either some sort of issue with the new water/salt mix im using, or a possible bacterial infection. or maybe the Euphyllia are slower to respond to that dino X chemical.....i will never use that stuff again or recommend it to anyone other than a fish only tank.
the tentacles should be flowing in the current gently, not vigorously and moderate light

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tentacles should be flowing in the current gently, not vigorously and moderate light
yea i wish i had a video, im at work. i believe they are good on flow. the one torch not retracted is gently swaying back and forth.

Aside from that any other ideas other than flow? dino x after effects? or bacteria? would dosing cipro be bad?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s def #2 from your guesses
Chems like that that kill things just skew the tanks biome soo much that things can take over quickly.

Also evidenced by the fact you say all corals were fine with the Dino’s.

WAAYYY too people on this forum and everywhere else in the last few years go crazy trying to have everything be perfect and kill anything “bad” that they just cause more issues. I hate the trend of people going crazy over a little Dino or diatoms or whatever….
Too many people are just nuking their tanks thinking it’s helping but do more damage.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i wish i had a video, im at work. i believe they are good on flow. the one torch not retracted is gently swaying back and forth.

Aside from that any other ideas other than flow? dino x after effects? or bacteria? would dosing cipro be bad?
IMO dosing a tank with ANY antibiotic is a big no-no

You were wondering if your microbiome was messed up because of the Dino-x, just wait till how messed up it will be after the cipro

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s def #2 from your guesses
Chems like that that kill things just skew the tanks biome soo much that things can take over quickly.

Also evidenced by the fact you say all corals were fine with the Dino’s.

WAAYYY too people on this forum and everywhere else in the last few years go crazy trying to have everything be perfect and kill anything “bad” that they just cause more issues. I hate the trend of people going crazy over a little Dino or diatoms or whatever….
Too many people are just nuking their tanks thinking it’s helping but do more damage.
i would do anything to take that back..... but to be fair, i tried for 4 months to get rid of dino with no success...i was going crazy, but i still would take it back if i could.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about seperating all my euphyllia in a seperate tank and cipro that?
Im not a bigg fan of antibiotics at all unless you have a positive ID for what you are trying to treat.

But if you HAD TO, yes, removing them and basically doing a "Dip" would be much better than nuking your whole tanks biome

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back