OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have used one of the "zappers" and it killed them, but I can't get to all of them and need something a little more effective.

what about using berghia nudibranchs? Anyone tried these?

I have used them a few times and they work great but again Aiptasia can survive anything. So unfortunately they come back unless the nudis great every single one!

I bought one from PaulB a few months back and it has a limited impact on Aiptasia IME, so I've continued t use kalk paste. I haven't had a problem with them popping up everywhere though. The wand does work wonders on mushrooms, yellow polyps, xenia, and anthelia though. It's payed for itself just by killing off the invasive stuff. If only I could get it to kill GSP, then I'd be all set!

Yeah i agree taking out my xenia and shrooms has been clutch! GSP is another ball game...but i have noticed that my torch is helping me out LOL

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i agree taking out my xenia and shrooms has been clutch! GSP is another ball game...but i have noticed that my torch is helping me out LOL

I'm thinking about throwing an echinata frag on my GSP to see if that can take it out :xd: I was cutting chunks of it off with a plastic knife, but I can't get it all

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about throwing an echinata frag on my GSP to see if that can take it out :xd: I was cutting chunks of it off with a plastic knife, but I can't get it all

LOL yeah back in January i spent a couple of hours moving corals and shaving back the overgrown GSP....i love it on my back wall but it grows over corals way to easily.

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried berghia first. They worked for 2 weeks then nothing at all?????????? Went to the CBB and end of story plus hes a great looking fish. He is also the most friendly fish in the tank and comes right out to the front for anyone.

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another thing to consider. I would almost bet the bubbles coming off the tip r a form of chlorine. I have a salt water pool and my saltwater generator works the same way. An electrical charge is sent over metal grills and out comes bubbles as it makes the chlorine. I am not 100% sure but it works the same way as my saltwater pool chlorine generator. By the way this is the only way to run a pool in my eyes, crystal clear and no dry skin as you only run 10% salt compared to our tanks or ocean water. :bigsmile:

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another thing to consider. I would almost bet the bubbles coming off the tip r a form of chlorine. I have a salt water pool and my saltwater generator works the same way. An electrical charge is sent over metal grills and out comes bubbles as it makes the chlorine. I am not 100% sure but it works the same way as my saltwater pool chlorine generator. By the way this is the only way to run a pool in my eyes, crystal clear and no dry skin as you only run 10% salt compared to our tanks or ocean water. :bigsmile:
The bubbles do contain chlorine, they're a byproduct of the electrolysis. Paul B talked about this in his thread.. I'll see if I can dig it up

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little excerpt:

Any effect of the water chemistry? Since the article mentions chlorine. For instance, if it was used continuously for 10 mins is there any effect depending on the size of the tank?

The unit does emit some chlorine and hydrogen gas. I have used it many times for 30 minutes in my own 100 gallon reef and I have not seen any problems but I would not use it in a nano for a long time. All of the 100+ that I sold were tested in my reef.

Paul goes on to say that it is the chlorine and hydrogen gases that actually kill stuff, not the electrical current.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of one of the first prototypes in my tank. That is a majano it is killing. The commercially produced ones have a much longer probe and no light bulb inside. I did that just because I thought it looked cool

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video Paul - I have tried the wand a couple of times but my biggest issue is that i cant get into the crevices to completely eradicate them. Also someone on here mentioned that they had an aiptasia explosion after using it. I havent had this but that raises a concern. Should i be siphoning out whatever is left over or does the gases keep lit bits from regrowing?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also someone on here mentioned that they had an aiptasia explosion after using it.

I have not heard that but if you have a bunch of aiptasia that you can see, then you have hundreds that you can't see anyway just waiting to grow weather you zap them or not. This is not a one time thing but it will always be ongoing. I had hundreds of majono's and now I only have 4 or 5 but if I leave them alone, I will again have hundreds.
The device only kills what you kill and nothing yet will eliminate all of them.
I would imagine the best course would to zap as many as you could while incorporating aiptasia eating fish if you can find them.
The main problem with those fish is that they are not considered very hardy, cheap or easy to come by.
Of course, as fish are eating aiptasia they will also emit spores.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard that but if you have a bunch of aiptasia that you can see, then you have hundreds that you can't see anyway just waiting to grow weather you zap them or not. This is not a one time thing but it will always be ongoing. I had hundreds of majono's and now I only have 4 or 5 but if I leave them alone, I will again have hundreds.
The device only kills what you kill and nothing yet will eliminate all of them.
I would imagine the best course would to zap as many as you could while incorporating aiptasia eating fish if you can find them.
The main problem with those fish is that they are not considered very hardy, cheap or easy to come by.
Of course, as fish are eating aiptasia they will also emit spores.

Thanks for the reply. I know the battle is always ongoing and i hope this tool with help me out - The more i use it, the better it will get, i am sure.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ongoing. The Majano Wand is a tool like everything else in this hobby.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would almost bet the bubbles coming off the tip r a form of chlorine.

The tip emits hydrogen gas, the black electrode emits chlorine.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just returned this morning from Hawaii and am unpacking. But the wand is called a "Majano Wand" for a reason. It kills majano's. It is not marketed to kill aiptasia's although it will kill them and any soft tissue animal that is mostly water. But as you know, aiptasia's are fast. The device is fully patented with a 20 year utility patent. They even gave me an extra 530 days on the patent for the time the patent office spends reviewing it. The gasses are not harmful and will disperse in a few minutes. My wife uses the thing all the time as she just loves killing majano's. If you use it on a small tank I would follow the instructions as to how long you should use it at one time. A mini model is coming out shortly as the factory is almost finished building them.Paul

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mini Wand is out and our factory just shipped a few hundred to the wholesalers. I am getting one to try on my tank

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul.. Thanks for inventing something that makes this hobby easier. I see it will kill things that are mostly water. Sounds like it would work on hydroids. I have colonial and digitate. Have you ever heard of this killing hydroids?

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not once have I heard mention the peppermint shrimp. As long as you have no predatory fishes like hawkfishes, you can stock your tank with these up to a dozen for relatively cheap! And believe me, I have cleared a tank with them!

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mini Wand is out and our factory just shipped a few hundred to the wholesalers. I am getting one to try on my tank
I'm glad that this product is successful for you Paul so much that your onto a Generation 2 model.

I was just using the original prototype to burn back some encrusting montipora from the base of a Cali Tort the other day. I need to take some time to kill off a few aptasia and majano's real soon.

This product does work.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back