The Price and Size of Frags in 2013 Will Shock You!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know what you’ll come across when you stumble down an internet rabbit hole because sometimes the things you find are way more interesting than what you might have initially been researching. Our most recent surprise discovery is exactly what happened when we went looking for some pictures of the classic ORA Miami Orchid…
Source

Continue reading...

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know what you’ll come across when you stumble down an internet rabbit hole because sometimes the things you find are way more interesting than what you might have initially been researching. Our most recent surprise discovery is exactly what happened when we went looking for some pictures of the classic ORA Miami Orchid…
Source

Continue reading...
Meh... Looking at those pictures, I still sell frags larger than those at better prices than those. Every one of those pieces would be at the same price or less from me currently, and would be as large or larger with better color, but I'm probably the exception. Show me something like an RRC Rainbow Splice, or RRU Angry Birds (not those actual pieces, but similar high end pieces of "the day") for $40 back then - it won't happen. While there weren't the crazy 1K frags that we now see, there were still some very expensive pieces back then like Tyree Purple Monster. I've been farming and shipping frags nationally since the 1990's and while frag sizes have definitely become smaller, common corals like those in the pics are still reasonably priced. I think there is an awful lot of selective memory when it comes to the past... If you figure for inflation, many pieces are now cheaper than they were back then. Here's a link from the "wayback machine" displaying my old website. Note the prices in 2003. Nothing crazy expensive, but more than what most people assume, and I was one of the most affordable vendors back then, as I am now... http://web.archive.org/web/20050113102657/http://www.northstarcorals.com/ExoticSPS.html

Last edited:

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve gotten all my SPS frags either locally or on eBay and have never spent the high prices. I got 9 frags of acro about a month ago in a series of auctions from one guy for about $250 shipped.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those corals still sell for the same or cheaper and a lot those frags are ttttttiny. Furthermore frag swaps typically had larger frags, more community (less vendor) and better price. For 40$ I got 2 8” branches of green slimmer from a shop in SD
and a fist sized red dragon for around the same (that used to be 100 for 1/2).

the difference between now and then is than you couldn’t get away with selling corals that only looked good from top down, tweaked lighting, and heavy handed photo editing while now it’s common place the very ‘top end’ requires some serious sps goggles to believe those are true to life.

I used to be an Ora dealer the popular sps from them sold in the 60-80 range around that time. Unpopular 30-45. Home cuts less.

the crazy deals back then were from mrcoral something like that 5-15$ chop shop would get dozens of 1/2” frags for next to nothing but if your tank was dialed it was a gamble -

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back