The real power of GHL profilux software

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for a huge company. We still use DOS software for 90% of the company needs. Why fix something that isn’t broken.
I had to laugh... the software we use for AR, AP, PO's and SO's (sales orders). Plus quoting, inventory, etc. Old as dirt, but extremely powerful. Corp is looking into new enterprise software to upgrade all 5 sites. They are spending ridiculous money on this, plus it's cloud based. 3 year rollout!
1643229811714.png

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why these guys love GHL software and are so good at it.
It may be powerful but it's a crappy user interface. That's why newer stuff came out and replaced it. Dinosaur software.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Kill the GCC software. It's a legacy app with a UI from the 90s, and is needlessly draining ressources from GHL Connect. Simply add the GCC exclusive features to GHL Connect and MyGHL.

• Kill the web server. We already have MyGHL, which is the same feature set.
If GCC and the Web Server are killed, then this would leave no option other than using a phone (or tablet if you have one) to connect to a GHL device if your internet or the GHL servers are down.

I prefer to use my computer when making changes, preferably using GCC.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why these guys love GHL software and are so good at it.
It may be powerful but it's a crappy user interface. That's why newer stuff came out and replaced it. Dinosaur software.
Actually, my theory of the current situation is as follows :
GHL is aware of the situation, and has started addressing it a couple years ago with GHL Connect.
GHL Connect is good, and needs to keep moving forward.

The problem is that GHL has a lot of "tech debt" that is dragging them, like GCC and the base software behind the Profilux controller, which is probably pretty old.

Getting rid of this debt is very hard, very expensive, and takes a long time.

Also, they have old customers that they still need to please, as well as new customers. This is a very hard balancing act : They need to please every user types to maximize revenues, but these user types has conflicting interests.
"I prefer the old way i'm used to, and don't want to relearn anything" VS "I want everything to work like it was designed in 2021 by a Silicon Valley startup".

I think they could push harder towards the future, but I understand why they'd be hesitant to do so.
Also, the IonD developpment cycle has probably been taxing GHL's ressources a lot more than initially expected, plus Covid...

I see positive signs, but everyone wishes it would be faster, as usual.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If GCC and the Web Server are killed, then this would leave no option other than using a phone (or tablet if you have one) to connect to a GHL device if your internet or the GHL servers are down.

I prefer to use my computer when making changes, preferably using GCC.
This is the modern way to do it : https://myghl.com/

It just needs to improve.

Internet or servers being down is not much of a thing anymore.
We're in the age of 99,9% uptime.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yea - we have dead horses here too and they do not want jump over here either - but I´m a stubborn donkey that will be sure that the hose really is dead :p:p:p

Sincerely Lasse

I really don’t know why you can’t have an adult conversation rather than trying to belittle other people.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and I use it from time to time, but myGHL will not work if your internet or GHL servers are down.
You can still direct connect through router if internet is down. This still uses the app. When I’m home I always connect this way. It’s way faster than Fusion and myghl. Myghl works great when I’m away from home just not quite as spunky.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t know why you can’t have an adult conversation rather than trying to belittle other people.
I see that your trying to play victim but I don’t find any of his posts are condescending.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The important thing is that capabilities are meaningless if users cannot use those capabilities because of a bad user experience.
No - the important thing is that if not the capabilities is there - no one can use those missing capabilities and no one can learn and get help if they do not understand how to use it because they just not are there.

I´m 72 years old and if people 30 - 50 years younger than me - and probably more educated than me - not are able to handle these interfaces (or with better words - have the capacity to learn how to use them) - it is a problem - but the million dollar question is why it is a problem?

For sure - there is a lot of things in the different interfaces that could be better - but from that to post in thread after thread - especially if it is someone that either have problems or says that GHL is a good choice - statement of crappy software or interface is a huge difference.

This thread is a good example - I did a post and show what you can do with GHL:s software and now we are up in 50 post - the only one of these post that is in line with the thread is the first post :p

The problem is that GHL has a lot of "tech debt" that is dragging them, like GCC and the base software behind the Profilux controller, which is probably pretty old.

This is not a problem - its a strength - they have put a lot of effort in order to do most thing backwards compatible. The new devices should be able to run even on the oldest PL 3.0 (when the PAB was introduced).

Sincerely Lasse

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still direct connect through router if internet is down. This still uses the app. When I’m home I always connect this way. It’s way faster than Fusion and myghl. Myghl works great when I’m away from home just not quite as spunky.
Yes, I use a local connection when at home on my phone as well.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess in Europe it’s not required to indicate
“This message paid for by GHL”

j/k :)
How is this any different than hundreds of forum members talking about Apex/Trident making their tank "ez mode"?
At least Lasse described a valuable use study, which, although narrow in scope, shows what the software can do in a very precise manner with some tweaking.

I know you're being tongue in cheek...but still. Not everything is a conspiracy, haha. I think that each software offers something different for the end user and just because something requires more effort to use initially doesn't diminish its qualities. Hence the many programming languages we use with varying complexity. I can see why it deters people (GHL) BUT that doesn't make it a bad product, just perhaps one for a more advanced user.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just of this reason - I do not use my phone because my thumb is a grown up thumb

Sincerely Lasse

I see that your trying to play victim but I don’t find any of his posts are condescending.

Really? And how many times has he said that ‘people don’t know what they’re talking about?’

I applaud the initial post and the description of what he did with the GHL software but, unfortunately in my opinion, he undid his good work with that unnecessary, patronizing, throwaway comment.

Anyway, you’ll all be pleased to hear that I’m done with this and all of these related GHL threads. I come here to learn and to have fun, not to be patronized and belittled.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to ignore posts from users I don't like.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? And how many times has he said that ‘people don’t know what they’re talking about?’

How in the whole world can you be upset when I make fun of myself and indicate that my thumb is to large for a cellphone?

But I still say that you do not know what you are talking about when you state that GHL software is crap.

Sincerely Lasse

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FishyFishFish Yeah please don’ be bullied out of participating. Others like me enjoy the discourse. I try to just ignore the nonsense.

it is the internet after all. Everyone gets to participate, for better or for worse.

also, some allowance must be made for differences in language, culture, etc. something said by someone from one part of the world can mean something totally different to someone on the other side of the world. Couple that with the limitation of only using the written word and I try not to take too much of what’s said personally.

Just my $0.02

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How in the whole world can you be upset when I make fun of myself and indicate that my thumb is to large for a cellphone?

But I still say that you do not know what you are talking about when you state that GHL software is crap.

Sincerely Lasse
Don’t worry Lasse, Daisy got it. She’s rolling on the floor howling right now.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I crazy or are people blowing some of this thread way out of proportion? I'm sure no insult was intended to anyone.
@Lasse, I am curious - would you replicate this undergravel filter methodology in future builds to help control pH? Would be interesting to see an old filter style that has largely fallen out of favor see some renewed attention, if purely for experimental purposes.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this any different than hundreds of forum members talking about Apex/Trident making their tank "ez mode"?
At least Lasse described a valuable use study, which, although narrow in scope, shows what the software can do in a very precise manner with some tweaking.

I know you're being tongue in cheek...but still. Not everything is a conspiracy, haha. I think that each software offers something different for the end user and just because something requires more effort to use initially doesn't diminish its qualities. Hence the many programming languages we use with varying complexity. I can see why it deters people (GHL) BUT that doesn't make it a bad product, just perhaps one for a more advanced user.
I believe nobody is questioning that the GHL ecosystem can do miracles for a reef tank.

The problem is that users have to walk on their knees in a burning fire to make these miracles happen.

It can be done, but it's painful and hard.

Again, GHL Connect is absolutely going the right direction, but we're still pretty far from the goal of having a powerful AND easy to use system

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe nobody is questioning that the GHL ecosystem can do miracles for a reef tank.

The problem is that users have to walk on their knees in a burning fire to make these miracles happen.

It can be done, but it's painful and hard.

Again, GHL Connect is absolutely going the right direction, but we're still pretty far from the goal of having a powerful AND easy to use system
No worries- I meant more that providing positive feedback on a product shouldn't automatically mark you as a shill. Everyone in this thread has raised interesting points!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back