The use of Sodium Silicate And Sodium Metasilicate

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I have an dinoflagellate issue in my tank, its has been ongoing for a few months now. I know what particular dino it is, but all my efforts to rebalance my system to reduce the population of dinos has not worked so far.

I have read your article on 'Silicates in the reef aquariums' and I was thinking to try and dose Sodium Silicate to promote diatoms. I have found a local source (here in the UK) of liquid glass, a 40% solution. Then I find Brightwell offer SpongeExcel using Sodium metasilicate (at twice the price).

I have had a rummage through the web trying to find the differences between Sodium Silicate and Sodium Metasilicate, from a general use there are distinct differences.

My question from a reef tank perspective to promote diatoms, which solution would be best with minimal adverse effects please?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Julian

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not much difference in the silicate and metasilicate for our purposes in a reef tank.
Brightwell is low concentration and has dosing calculations on the bottle to help you target a particular concentration.
waterglass is very high concentration and Randy provides the calculations to target a certain concentration.
I used spongexcel until I got used to how my tank processed Si, then I switched to a cheaper higher concentration product more similar to water glass.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I have an dinoflagellate issue in my tank, its has been ongoing for a few months now. I know what particular dino it is, but all my efforts to rebalance my system to reduce the population of dinos has not worked so far.

I have read your article on 'Silicates in the reef aquariums' and I was thinking to try and dose Sodium Silicate to promote diatoms. I have found a local source (here in the UK) of liquid glass, a 40% solution. Then I find Brightwell offer SpongeExcel using Sodium metasilicate (at twice the price).

I have had a rummage through the web trying to find the differences between Sodium Silicate and Sodium Metasilicate, from a general use there are distinct differences.

My question from a reef tank perspective to promote diatoms, which solution would be best with minimal adverse effects please?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Julian
What is your reason for increasing the diatoms in the tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They supposedly out-compete the dinos and are easier to reduce when the dino problem has been overcome?

I personally see no reason to try to reduce them, but if you stop dosing silicate they will not keep growing.

FWIW, I regularly dosed silicate to supply sponges and other organisms that use it, and the diatom effect was never any problem. The glass actually was easier to see through when diatoms grew on it than when green algae did. I discuss these issues here:

OP
OP
JulesH

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back. I read your article thats what gave me the idea of dosing silicates, thanks Randy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back. I read your article thats what gave me the idea of dosing silicates, thanks Randy.

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

OP
OP
JulesH

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I have read your article on reefs.com about Silica in reef aquariums. I have been trying to figure out my dosing to get to 1ppm of SiO2 in my 300 litre reef tank.

I have a silicate solution 41° Baume and have been using the equation below to try and work out what 0.5ml of the solution would be in ppm if I dosed it to my tank?

I am using the equation:

Concentration (ppm) = (Mass of solute (in grams) / Volume of solution (in litres)) × 10^(6)

However I am getting the answer of 1,300,000 ppm?

I have gone wrong and I dont see my error and would be very much obliged for your thoughts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my article:

A concentration of 41° Baume equates to 29% SiO2 by weight. Note that the density is high (1.38 g/mL for 41° Baume),

Thus 1 mL contains 400 mg of SiO2 equivalents.

To add 1 ppm = 1 mg/L to 300 liters, you need 300 mg, or 0.75 mL.

OP
OP
JulesH

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my article:

A concentration of 41° Baume equates to 29% SiO2 by weight. Note that the density is high (1.38 g/mL for 41° Baume),

Doh! Thanks Randy.

OP
OP
JulesH

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crikey I see what you mean about this liquid, it is harsh and it takes some water movement for it to be absorbed.

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my article:

When water glass dissolves, a large amount of magnesium particles precipitate. Should it be filtered before pouring into the aquarium or should it be poured into the roller mat chamber so that the particles remain on the filter fabric?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When water glass dissolves, a large amount of magnesium particles precipitate. Should it be filtered before pouring into the aquarium or should it be poured into the roller mat chamber so that the particles remain on the filter fabric?

You should not have particles before adding to the tank, and the particles formed in the tank will redissolve and should not be removed.

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not have particles before adding to the tank, and the particles formed in the tank will redissolve and should not be removed.
Can I pour it into the sump, roller mat as a preventive measure, or does it have to be poured directly into the aquarium?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran across this thread and I don't mean to highjack it but if worried about precipitate why don't you just add the silicate to some RODI water then add it to the tank? If I remember correctly when I asked a question about dosing silicate many moons ago, @Randy Holmes-Farley gave me the recommendation to add my dose of Loudwolf 41% Sodium Silicate to some RODI and then add that to the tank. I get ZERO precipitate doing it this way. Sorry @Randy Holmes-Farley if I mistakenly said it was your recommendation but I think it was you.

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran across this thread and I don't mean to highjack it but if worried about precipitate why don't you just add the silicate to some RODI water then add it to the tank? If I remember correctly when I asked a question about dosing silicate many moons ago, @Randy Holmes-Farley gave me the recommendation to add my dose of Loudwolf 41% Sodium Silicate to some RODI and then add that to the tank. I get ZERO precipitate doing it this way. Sorry @Randy Holmes-Farley if I mistakenly said it was your recommendation but I think it was you.
When poured into the aquarium, the rodi mixture will not precipitate anything?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back