The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not the best pic. Better ones will follow
Juvi is right; one of the smallest I've seen!

I have a question. I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a 57 gallon tank. I have 1 Ornate Leopard Wrasse, 2 DeVinci Clowns and a Yellow Watchmen Goby that will be going into the new tank. I want to add some more wrasses. What ones would you recommend and how many?

These are the ones I' thinking of getting
- McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
- Mystery Wrasse
- Six Line Wrasse
Pseudocheilinus wrasses do not mix with other wrasses; therefore neither the mystery nor sixline are suitable.
What's the dimensions of the 57? I would not put a Paracheilinus species in a tank less than 3' in length.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, true its a difficult fish to keep my tank is kept at 77 - 78 which I believe its a little on the warm side for this species but the fish have been kept already for a month in a tank with those temps and acclimated to a tank similar to mine. keep you posted

I think the concern about temp is, not that they cant be acclimated to those temps, after all when they are collected they are collected in shallow waters at those temps, but rather that much of their life is spent in cooler waters and that when kept in the upper 70's their lifespan is significantly reduced, perhaps not even lasting a year. All the best though as that is a fish that is at the very top of my own wishlist.

I have a question. I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a 57 gallon tank. I have 1 Ornate Leopard Wrasse, 2 DeVinci Clowns and a Yellow Watchmen Goby that will be going into the new tank. I want to add some more wrasses. What ones would you recommend and how many?

These are the ones I' thinking of getting
- McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
- Mystery Wrasse
- Six Line Wrasse

I would strongly recommend against keeping anything in the Pseudocheilinus( mystery and sixline) with any other wrasse.

A mckoskers is an excellent choice though.

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudocheilinus wrasses do not mix with other wrasses; therefore neither the mystery nor sixline are suitable.
What's the dimensions of the 57? I would not put a Paracheilinus species in a tank less than 3' in length.

Thank you this is just what I'm looking to find out. The tank is 36"x18"x21". Are there other's that you would recommend for a tank my size that would go with the McCosker's Flasher Wrasse?

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend against keeping anything in the Pseudocheilinus( mystery and sixline) with any other wrasse.

A mckoskers is an excellent choice though.

Thank you. Are there other's that you would recommend for a tank my size that would go with the McCosker's Flasher Wrasse?

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my friend tried two male flame wrasses, two seperate times, no luck! :(

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok need some advice from the wrasse pros on here. Looking at maybe getting a reef safe wrasse for my new 40 breeder. Not interested in a six line. No bigger than 4". I know possums fall in this category, but what else? I've always liked the mystery wrasses, but worry about aggression.

Tankmates- 2 ruby red dragonets, 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 orchid Dottyback, & cuc.

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok need some advice from the wrasse pros on here. Looking at maybe getting a reef safe wrasse for my new 40 breeder. Not interested in a six line. No bigger than 4". I know possums fall in this category, but what else? I've always liked the mystery wrasses, but worry about aggression.

I would lean towards something like a Mccoskers or one of the other smaller paracheilinus wrasses, your a little on the small side but I think one would be fine.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nearly all of the Paracheilinus species except octotaenia and some of the smaller Cirrhilabrus species. That tank size could also house smaller Halichoeres species, but I wouldnt keep them with the dragonets as Halichoeres wrasses put enormous pressure on pod populations.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean towards something like a Mccoskers or one of the other smaller paracheilinus wrasses, your a little on the small side but I think one would be fine.
I used to have a Mccoskers a long time ago. Beautiful fish, but I want someone different this time. Something not too common, and not too pricey.

Nearly all of the Paracheilinus species except octotaenia and some of the smaller Cirrhilabrus species. That tank size could also house smaller Halichoeres species, but I wouldnt keep them with the dragonets as Halichoeres wrasses put enormous pressure on pod populations.

Thanks, I will look into them. I'm not extremely concerned about the pod population. My dragonet pair devour prepared foods. I actually have a booming pod population in my 38g right now and all the fish I listed are in it including a yellow chrysus wrasse! I'm gonna eventually switch my 38 to this new 40b that I picked up at pet I yesterday ($1 per gallon sell!). The dimensions are so much better for a reef. I'll come back here with a list of possible candidates to get the yay or nay. Thanks guys.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to me mention, the chrysus wrasse is being rehomed. Been trying to catch that fish for a good year now.

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got him earlier today. None of my fish like him!!! They all go after him. Flame tail Blenny decided he's cool and hangs next to him. The Royal Gramma doesn't like him at all chases him all over. It may take a while for them to get along.
Solar fairy wrasse
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422130226.883097.jpg

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same I do w all my fish I float them. Gramma are usually territorial. This one seemed great with all the other fish.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay my brother gave me his hovens or richmand wrasse? not sure but looks like she's got a bloated belly and struggling to survive! any help

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back