The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a Golden Rhomboid a few days ago...great looking fish, came out to eat next morning however has been hiding since. I know he's alive because I see him in his hiding spot, just can't get him to come out again....I'm getting concerned? I thought I would have seen him swimming around by now

earthbound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting an elegant Cori's wrasse and can't find much info about one. I only have an urchin only CUC so I am not worries about it going after snails or crabs but was wondering if the urchins are at risk too. I am hoping with it being on the smaller side for the genus that it will be OK. If anyone knows or has any other info/advice about the species I would appreciate it. Thanks

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a Golden Rhomboid a few days ago...great looking fish, came out to eat next morning however has been hiding since. I know he's alive because I see him in his hiding spot, just can't get him to come out again....I'm getting concerned? I thought I would have seen him swimming around by now
Hope he gets comfy in your tank soon, those are an absolutely beautiful fish!

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope he gets comfy in your tank soon, those are an absolutely beautiful fish!

Thanks bud so do I...I have been wanting one for the longest as soon as he makes his grand appearance I'll be sure to post some pics.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting an elegant Cori's wrasse and can't find much info about one. I only have an urchin only CUC so I am not worries about it going after snails or crabs but was wondering if the urchins are at risk too. I am hoping with it being on the smaller side for the genus that it will be OK. If anyone knows or has any other info/advice about the species I would appreciate it. Thanks
Found this. Seems your urchin could be a target as well
Elegant Wrasse Information, Facts, Photos and Pictures - Information, Facts, Photos and Pictures of the Elegant Wrasse

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay my brother gave me his hovens or richmand wrasse? not sure but looks like she's got a bloated belly and struggling to survive! any help

How is its swimming? If it looks as though it is swimming head down it would be a swim bladder infection. If so a sterilized needle can release the gas. If it is an intestinal blockage stop feeding for a couple of days.

Are there any other wrasses in the tank or any other tankmates showing interest in him? If not just give it a few days he should start to get more and more bold. C. rhomboidalis is a pretty passive species.

Though the article cited specified that urchins are part of their diet, they lack the dentition to open the, up, so as long as you dont have triggers or puffers that are able to open them up, the venusta wont eat them. The article also mentioned a 30g aquarium as the minimum tank size, this is way too small for this fish, so that particular article may not be the most reliable.

They are a s,aller species of Coris and relatively peaceful, though I have found them to be a little pushy towards Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus, and Paracheilinus, but ignores other Coris, Anampses, Macropharyngodon, and Thalasomma wrasses.

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is its swimming? If it looks as though it is swimming head down it would be a swim bladder infection. If so a sterilized needle can release the gas. If it is an intestinal blockage stop feeding for a couple of days.

Are there any other wrasses in the tank or any other tankmates showing interest in him? If not just give it a few days he should start to get more and more bold. C. rhomboidalis is a pretty passive species.

Though the article cited specified that urchins are part of their diet, they lack the dentition to open the, up, so as long as you dont have triggers or puffers that are able to open them up, the venusta wont eat them. The article also mentioned a 30g aquarium as the minimum tank size, this is way too small for this fish, so that particular article may not be the most reliable.

They are a s,aller species of Coris and relatively peaceful, though I have found them to be a little pushy towards Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus, and Paracheilinus, but ignores other Coris, Anampses, Macropharyngodon, and Thalasomma wrasses.

Thanks for your reply, I do have several other wrasses...leopard, tamarin, yellow coris and a Christmas wrasse....however I have seen little to no aggression they seem to pay him no mind

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply, I do have several other wrasses...leopard, tamarin, yellow coris and a Christmas wrasse....however I have seen little to no aggression they seem to pay him no mind

As long as nobody is paying attention to him he should start to venture out more. Those species are all competition to him and he knows that and he is the new guy on the block, so being tentative is normal.

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as nobody is paying attention to him he should start to venture out more. Those species are all competition to him and he knows that and he is the new guy on the block, so being tentative is normal.

He is larger than them I hope that helps him out a bit thanks for your response!! Much appreciated

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422667910.743174.jpg

Tomorrow is a full week and he's still playing this shy game...any suggestions?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when they get spooked like that, I don't have a very good track record with them when they get like that. With that said, I've never had that issue with a rhomboid but it's the reason I still don't have P. Attenuatus. IMO, its usually due to another fish and it doesn't always have to be obvious. It's like a mental dominance almost, I've seen it happen with Anthias too.

AL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when they get spooked like that, I don't have a very good track record with them when they get like that. With that said, I've never had that issue with a rhomboid but it's the reason I still don't have P. Attenuatus. IMO, its usually due to another fish and it doesn't always have to be obvious. It's like a mental dominance almost, I've seen it happen with Anthias too.

Even my fish need to see a shrink lol! I'm a little bummed out to say the least I hate to give up on him but I'd also hate to let him die..

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got one

My new earmuff wrasse/ got to get a better pic, constantly on the move

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the solar I got keeps getting bullied. The good part is he's incredibly fast! A few fish have finally left him alone and he's claimed a small spot on the reef as well as the entire top of the tank. I had a 6line that disappears 6 months ago. I am a huge fan of wrasses now! Beautiful and funny characters. I so want a bigger tank!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back