Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the six lines but why do they have to be so mean
It's what they do, lol.

I've Been hunting for an 8 line (Pseudocheilinus octotaenia) for years now, buggers are hard as hell to find anymore. I remember them being like a 10 dollar fish. I think they are Hawaiian endemic tho.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the six lines but why do they have to be so mean
It’s how they live. While most of the “peaceful” wrasse live in the outskirts of reefs where competition for food and territory is smaller. Members of Pseudocheilinus live in the hearts of reefs and just try and stake out prime real estate like clowns and damsels. So like clowns and damselfish they are very territorial and aggressive sometimes.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s how they live. While most of the “peaceful” wrasse live in the outskirts of reefs where competition for food and territory is smaller. Members of Pseudocheilinus live in the hearts of reefs and just try and stake out prime real estate like clowns and damsels. So like clowns and damselfish they are very territorial and aggressive sometimes.
Like car drivers in a city. The closer you get to the center of a city the more aggressive and grumpy the driver.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have a black fin fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus), and would you mind sharing some pictures?

I was browsing on tankstop and saw them on sale. I can't remember seeing one in an aquarium before. Knowing they are scottorum group, I am sure they are hateful, but they do look pretty from these photos from reefbuilders.

1715010566351.png

1715010577912.png

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like car drivers in a city. The closer you get to the center of a city the more aggressive and grumpy the driver.
This is why it's best to live in walkable cities. Not worth the personality adjustments sitting in city traffic! That said, you come across some weird stuff walking about in cities like Barcelona...

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have a black fin fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus), and would you mind sharing some pictures?

I was browsing on tankstop and saw them on sale. I can't remember seeing one in an aquarium before. Knowing they are scottorum group, I am sure they are hateful, but they do look pretty from these photos from reefbuilders.

I had one …..I think I either traded or sold it…yes it was big and aggressive like a Scott’s, but not as pretty as those pics… it was a dull olive green with a black dorsal and red anal fin.

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with the eight line wrasse with other wrasse? I've read that they can be nicer to other wrasse than the six and four lines, but does that mean they're still aggressive, just less so?

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's what they do, lol.

I've Been hunting for an 8 line (Pseudocheilinus octotaenia) for years now, buggers are hard as hell to find anymore. I remember them being like a 10 dollar fish. I think they are Hawaiian endemic tho.
Yeah seriously it’s just what they do but I do love them

I remember 8 lines were hard to find because a lot of folks preferred 6lines
I didn’t know they are hard to find now

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly I know that we all love Nemo but those clownfish can be soooooo mean!

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly I know that we all love Nemo but those clownfish can be soooooo mean!
My female clown hated the firefish who would just zip into his cave, but when she started bugging the brunneus, it was time to put them in a different tank. So now the clowns have their own solitary confinement:
PXL_20240506_232849574.MP.jpg

Unfortunately the brunneus pulled a Houdini less than a week after, now I'm down to 4 wrasses and won't be getting more until I improve the screen lid... Then I have plans for 3-4 more!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah seriously it’s just what they do but I do love them

I remember 8 lines were hard to find because a lot of folks preferred 6lines
I didn’t know they are hard to find now
Does anyone have experience with the eight line wrasse with other wrasse? I've read that they can be nicer to other wrasse than the six and four lines, but does that mean they're still aggressive, just less so?
Not the flasher wrasse I am sure.
The Eightline wrasse is as ugly as sin. It you going for the genus, hey the Mysery (Mystery) wrasse or a 4 Line wrasse. I think the Sixline and Fourline are smallest

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eightline wrasse. Ugly and mean fish. Not a fish for me. If I am going to take the meanness of the genus, I may as well get he beautiful ones
IMG_2424.jpeg
tetrataenia is definitely the prettiest.
1715088989587.jpeg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eightline wrasse. Ugly and mean fish. Not a fish for me. If I am going to take the meanness of the genus, I may as well get he beautiful ones
IMG_2424.jpeg
Pseudocheilinus evanidus isn't the brightest, but mine hasn't bothered anyone. Moved him to the 240 gallon with the big boys and aggressive fish, and he holds his own fine though!

Using a Google Pic since I can't get a halfway decent one.

Pseudocheilinus-evanidus-k02-140511 (1).jpg

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus tends to be one of the more aggressive Halichoeres. I'd add it last or at the same time as the other Halichoeres.

Look into:
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres timorensis
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres chrysus
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres marginatus
Halichoeres rubricephalus

Avoid:
Halichoeres bivittatus
Halichoeres chloropterus
Halichoeres cyanocephalus
Halichoeres hortulanus
Halichoeres radiatus
Halichoeres garnoti

All of these are nice and colorful, and tend to be at least a little more laid back than H. melanurus. They should do fine if added at the same time or before the melanurus.

As far as non-Halichoeres wrasses, any other sand sleepers (Macropharyngodon, Anampses, and Pseudojuloides) should be added before a melanurus.

Rock and crevice sleeping wrasses (Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Wetmorella, Pseudocheilinops) can go in pretty much whenever, though I would still try not to add any after an adult melanurus has become well-established in a tank.

How is Halichoeres pictus and Halichoeres claudia?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 174 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back