This was my fear of going to LED from T5 :(

Kreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had rainbow acans turn orange/red. I run t5s but my bulbs were around 8 months old and I had high po4(~1). Once I replaced my bulbs (3b+, 1p+) and began to run gfo they morphed back brighter than before. Not saying it's the case in your scenario but I believe mine was a combo of water quality and lighting. Maybe try supplementing with a few t5s?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402020516.554599.jpg
(original colors)
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402020663.539913.jpg
(front left).

Sorry for the iPhone pics

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All my acans came from sane store and all from same tank and rainbow only one that totally changed color.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out where the shading is. I wish I could pull that color all over...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402020834519.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402020834519.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 312
OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to glue it to a rock that's under a ledge in full shade and see what happens. Might do that with my other acans as well just see what happens

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup seems to be the case with leds and acans. Acans seem to like t5s better.

I was running T5 unit with 2blue+ and 1 Coral+, and Actinic
This was what this rainbow looked like when i bought it almost 2weeks ago it was under T5 in the store

This is it today :(

all the green shifted to kind of an ugly orange and I read this happen to alot of people under LED
I am running a Radion G2 with the G3 cluster upgrade and wide angle lenses.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I am in the water under natural conditions on a reef. I have noticed most corals do not look as they do under T5, Halides, or LED's. Colors in coral are so different once we get them under man made light. We have all been duped into thinking that is what a coral is supposed to look like. T5 make awesome almost unnatural colors, good growth, although regular bulb changes can start to get expensive, Halides good color and great growth and expensive electric bills, LED most corals good color, moderate growth and low operating cost. If you want the color back go back to the T5 or run a hybrid led T5 combo. I run LED's I try to buy from stores or others in the hobby that run LED's That way I am not ****** when I get it home put it under different light and expect it to look as it did under T5. I also stay away from corals that others have stated don't do well under LED. I am just amazed everyday when I look at my tank and see that it is all alive and growing.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this hobby, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't T5s put out UV light, where LEDs don't? If that's true, wouldn't it make sense that corals would grow better when there's a UV light source?
(Just a thought since I'm new to this and don't really know.)

Allen

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I am in the water under natural conditions on a reef. I have noticed most corals do not look as they do under T5, Halides, or LED's. Colors in coral are so different once we get them under man made light. We have all been duped into thinking that is what a coral is supposed to look like. T5 make awesome almost unnatural colors, good growth, although regular bulb changes can start to get expensive, Halides good color and great growth and expensive electric bills, LED most corals good color, moderate growth and low operating cost. If you want the color back go back to the T5 or run a hybrid led T5 combo. I run LED's I try to buy from stores or others in the hobby that run LED's That way I am not ****** when I get it home put it under different light and expect it to look as it did under T5. I also stay away from corals that others have stated don't do well under LED. I am just amazed everyday when I look at my tank and see that it is all alive and growing.

I would think that the corals would look different when "in the water under natural conditions on a reef". The red colors are the first to not be seen due to the color sprectrum of the sunlight being filtered out when in the ocean. At least here in California when I use to scuba dive that was how it was. Here if you would shine a waterproof light onto objects when at depth, you would see some amazing colors.

Allen

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here and I believe that it's because the color of the light spectrum gets filtered out very quickly when viewing from under the water.

(I remember the first that I speared a fish when I was scuba diving, it looked rather strange to have bluish color blood coming from it. Then I remembered that red is the first color to be filtered out when under the water.)

Allen

timmylucas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar happen when I switched over to LEDS. But my acan actually got brighter. It turned a florescent fire red/orange color and it looked nice. Until the fire shrimp tore it to pieces..

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just switched to LEDs so I'll post some pictures and stick along for the ride.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda late to the party but, It's the direct color spectrum from the led's that made the color on your acan look different.
I have Pro 3 and installed the WA lens, shifted to more blue and acans look a lot better.
Still I hate to say that as much I love the radions and I have 10 of the pro 3 they will be history this weekend.
My tank was sponsored by Ecotech for marketing and been running leds for three years now.
I know enough to say that leds are awesome but can't get the performance of T5 or MH on the corals.
I changed to a new sponsor for the tank starting Sept 1st..............ATI.
Yesterday I had the 60" 4x75W LED & 8x80W T5 LED Powermodule delivered (thanks Dave from UA) we will bring this unit over the tank in a few days.

Attachments

• ati1.jpg
    ati1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 182
  • ati2.jpg
    ati2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 179

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an article not too long ago on Acans and actually manipulating their colors by raising certain elements and lowering others. I don't remember exactly what the guy was doing and it was a little confusing. He was able to actually cause them to change colors and make new combinations. I think I pulled the article from RC but I'm sure it could be found by googling.

I think that is more likely whats happening. I have a good amount of acans under reefbreeders and they generally wash out a little at first and take months to color back up, but the colors are the same just muted for a while.

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an article not too long ago on Acans and actually manipulating their colors by raising certain elements and lowering others. I don't remember exactly what the guy was doing and it was a little confusing. He was able to actually cause them to change colors and make new combinations. I think I pulled the article from RC but I'm sure it could be found by googling.

I think that is more likely whats happening. I have a good amount of acans under reefbreeders and they generally wash out a little at first and take months to color back up, but the colors are the same just muted for a while.
could you post a link to that article i would love to read it or pm it to me.thanks

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda late to the party but, It's the direct color spectrum from the led's that made the color on your acan look different.
I have Pro 3 and installed the WA lens, shifted to more blue and acans look a lot better.
Still I hate to say that as much I love the radions and I have 10 of the pro 3 they will be history this weekend.
My tank was sponsored by Ecotech for marketing and been running leds for three years now.
I know enough to say that leds are awesome but can't get the performance of T5 or MH on the corals.
I changed to a new sponsor for the tank starting Sept 1st..............ATI.
Yesterday I had the 60" 4x75W LED & 8x80W T5 LED Powermodule delivered (thanks Dave from UA) we will bring this unit over the tank in a few days.

Wow!

I sure wish ATI would sponsor my tank! I wish they'd send me the ATI dimmable 24" T5 for my tank! I'd like to get it but it's about $500 at the cheapest price and it doesn't come with bulbs. So that's another $150 since there's 6 bulbs.

It's always nice to dream.

Allen

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of acans that come in with rainbow colors shift and lose the rainbow, regardless of lighting.

if you've ever seen how rainbow acans are collected, often times they are pulled from beds where they are covered with sludge. they're soaking up all kinds of nutrients from the nutrient-rich water, and are literally covered to the point that they receive very little (almost no) light.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back