Thought it was a pineapple sponge but…

Abiodork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It now appears to have sweeper tentacles. It’s in my refugium and has been stationary for many weeks. The main body is maybe approaching nearly a quarter of an inch. I’m about to “when in doubt take it out” now that it appears to have tentacles, but it’s pretty darn cool and if it’s not a nuisance I would leave it. I do have a hermit and a turbo snail that I’d like it to leave alone. Thanks for any thoughts or ID.

IMG_3606.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling a bit with the pic personally, but look up Tethya gracilis and see if it's a match:
Looks like it may be Tethya gracilis - it should be a harmless filter feeder.
They're not super well known (they were discovered first in a German aquarium), but the study I've found describing them was very informative (linked below).

They grow up to ~1.5cm (though they can contract to be ~80% of their max body size); they can slowly move/"walk" - reportedly, they can move several centimeters a day (especially when smaller), and they do this to remove/shake off sediment that gets on them; and they reproduce by budding (so they'll drop pieces that grow into new sponges).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back