Thoughts on Dr. Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like the thought of sending this crew away. I would stick with the only 3 before I'd trade them for new. I do appreciate the offer but I couldn't do it. If I was going to add more at this point I'd just leave them in acclimation boxes for much longer than usual and hope to avoid the aggression.
I understand, We can try the acclimation box. I would try just 3 females and see if they adjust in first before adding any more, if any.

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing but great experiences from Dr. Reef.

I’ve got a bunch of wrasses, a damsel and a chalkbass.
He worked with me though some tough times, highly recommended them.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently ordered 4 fish, a black cap, flame angel a starcki damsel and then ordered a long fin fairy when my initial starcki wasnt healthy enough to ship with the first 2 . I will say the communication part was very responsive definatley no issues there . The angel and black cap acclimated well and were eating next day no problem . Next delivery was my replacement starcki and my wrasse. Well surprise 4 bags in my box. 2 wrasse and 2 starcki . Well one starcki was doa other was great acclimated well and literally was eating hours later . However both wrasses were kinda skinny and seemed a bit off. One didnt make it through acclimation and other seemed ok but after a day in the tank it was messed up . The swimming was off and it could tell food was in water but mysis would litetally hit him in the face . Its now been 3 days and im sure he buried himself deep in the rockwork and dead . However with thst being said the overall experience was good and the communication was great . Copper can be rough on those small fairies and i just dont think either of them handled it well . I would order again as the prices arent bad and comunication was great

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've now made 4 orders from Dr. Reef, last one is in QT. Never had a bad experience, it's always been positive and fair. In the earlier days communication was lagging, he has solved that. Not all fish made it alive, he took care of that, fair and square.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered 4 fish, a black cap, flame angel a starcki damsel and then ordered a long fin fairy when my initial starcki wasnt healthy enough to ship with the first 2 . I will say the communication part was very responsive definatley no issues there . The angel and black cap acclimated well and were eating next day no problem . Next delivery was my replacement starcki and my wrasse. Well surprise 4 bags in my box. 2 wrasse and 2 starcki . Well one starcki was doa other was great acclimated well and literally was eating hours later . However both wrasses were kinda skinny and seemed a bit off. One didnt make it through acclimation and other seemed ok but after a day in the tank it was messed up . The swimming was off and it could tell food was in water but mysis would litetally hit him in the face . Its now been 3 days and im sure he buried himself deep in the rockwork and dead . However with thst being said the overall experience was good and the communication was great . Copper can be rough on those small fairies and i just dont think either of them handled it well . I would order again as the prices arent bad and comunication was great
Please let us know when you place your next order we will credit the wrasse to you.
If we dont meet customers satisfaction then we dont deserve the money.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish in our experience dont ship well. We always send some extra in that case.
If they all live, its your good luck. You can choose to keep/sell/gift the free one, Choice is yours.

some clowns, bangaii, some wrasses, anthias, you can expect extra free one in the bag
I have 7 Springeri and only wanted 3 :face-with-tears-of-joy: They look awesome together.

I've ordered from Dr Reef 3-4 times and only had one doa. I haven't had a single sick fish yet and had an Aquabiomics test and my tank has zero pathogens.

One HUGE advantage with the fish you order from Dr Reef is all of the fish come in eating. Only one fish that came in that didn't eat and it was a mandarin but that fish is what it is. He's been in my tank for over a year and he just grazes around.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on Dr. Reef:

@Dr. Reef I'm glad I don't have to sell anything to the masses it allows me unfettered evaluation of human traits. You do a great job man. I've seen thousands of reviews from your fish and I still direct people to your site routinely in chat work.

You're spoiling them so far beyond rotten they've no way to comprehend it.
This

Dealing with the public selling things just sucks. People are rude and think the world revolves around them.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have not directly ordered from them, from what I have read on these forums from those that have.....

Most receive the wrong fish, which then your stuck with. DOA policy has recently changed which is not very customer friendly. Many, many shipping issues, and many dead fish. It also seems to take a very long time to source the fish sometimes.
Dude this is a bit of a strong claim. To say “most” is a bit misleading. Most of the time you’ll see a post of someone complaining not happy.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is a bit of a strong claim. To say “most” is a bit misleading. Most of the time you’ll see a post of someone complaining not happy.
Like I said in my original post....

Most of the threads I read are not happy. Most of those threads are people who received lunar wrasse's instead of a melanarus, which was explain why from @Dr. Reef .

Whether that means people only come to post threads to complain is a different matter, it's just what I read.

After reading this thread and hearing from @Dr. Reef , I would 100% buy fish from them.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a foxface, midas blenny, 2X ocellaris, royal gramma, still alive and thriving many months later. Have an order for a wrasse, a Tomini, and a Springerii pending.

I DID lose a tang and a cardinal in my first order, but in hindsight, I didn't completely understand that ammonia poisoning can result from keeping the fish in the bag water (I though I followed their protocol ...) and that may have contributed. Even so, the clowns and gramma survived, and Dr. Reef was great about the credit.

I now just temperature acclimate in the bag in a 10g half full with matching salinity water (established biofilter), open the bag and net/scoop them into the tank. I let them sit for a while to calm down, then start gradually increasing the salinity to match the display.

Nothing but good things to say about Dr. Reef - they were communicative and stood behind their "product" as much as can be expected these days at their prices.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've only had great experiences with Dr. Reef. Everything I've ordered from him has come in very healthy, and I'm starting a new tank right now, so I'll for sure be placing a new order with him soon!

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done two orders with Dr. Reef. Both great experiences so I highly recommend the service his team provides. The first order I was sent the wrong type of clownfish and the cost for that portion was refunded without issue. The second order zero issues.

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 4 orders, probably 15 fish, from Dr reef and it has been great for me. I had two angel fish die, but they gave store credit. It takes a long time from ordering to receiving, often more than 2 months and several times a fish I’ve ordered did not pass final inspection so was not sent. But, this is not a quick and fast hobby and having someone do the quarantine for my lazy self is really nice. High recommend

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought repeatedly from Dr Reef and have never had any issues with any of them. I did however order a goby and got a goby + pistol shrimp pair, so lucky me!!!

Knock on wood - I've never had any diseases in my tank in 3+ years.

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just placed my first order a couple days ago. Same research as everyone else. This thread has put any concerns at ease.

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed my first order with Dr. Reef roughly 3 years ago. Those fish are still happily alive today (minus a DOA leopard) I’ve spoken with Mike numerous times on the phone discussing fish, and life in general. He truly seems like a great guy. I would not hesitate to order again.

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a couple orders from dr reef where fish unfortunately didnt make it. However, @Dr. Reef always made things right. I would recommend him to anyone. Sometimes it does take a while to get the fish, however, it seems like everyone on the forum preaches patience until it comes to receiving fish lol

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back