Tomini has white spot on both sides of body

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish were either QT’d or bought QT’d. No new additions in months. Also QT all my corals, however I am a new reefer (about a year now) so can’t say I didn’t make mistakes.

Today noticed on both sides of my tomini’s body there are these white spots. Not sure if it’s just an injury because it’s skiddish and hides a lot when I’m near the tank or something worse. Doesn’t look like ich from everything I’ve read.

I’m hoping just bumped itself but do have a tank to setup to QT if it’s something worse.

IMG_6643.jpeg IMG_6642.jpeg IMG_6641.jpeg IMG_6637.jpeg

OP
OP
R

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll add he is acting completely normal and eating. No idea if I’m over reacting, just this is a new blemish and want to catch anything before it’s worse.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like (at least in part) - injuries - I would do nothing - except watch for worsening. If that happens - I would consider that the QT protocol used should be repeated. However, this certainly does not look like Ich, Velvet at this point . Quick question - are the lesions symmetrical ? (ie.. same on both sides) - Can you review what your QT protocol for all your fish? Thanks alot..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll add he is acting completely normal and eating. No idea if I’m over reacting, just this is a new blemish and want to catch anything before it’s worse.
Thanks - I'm going to based what I'm saying on this comment - if there is no change/worsening, etc - I would assume it's an injury. I would watch careful for any worsening. I would suggest that it's most likely injury related. If there is worsening - I would start with an antibiotic - unless there are other symptoms, etc. It looks like a nice fish!

OP
OP
R

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help. I do notice the spot on both sides of the fish can’t say they’re identical but close.

This particular fish and all but my two clowns I got from Dr Reef. I didn’t further QT after that which since then I’ve learned I should at least do observation. Again I’m new. The clowns did 15 days copper/swapped tank for 15 more days in copper and then 2 weeks of prazi pro. They were my first two fish so I would assume if they were the issue it would have come up sooner.

However I haven’t added any new fish/inverts to the tank in months. And all corals that I have added were in my fishless coral tank for 3-4months.

I’m happy to hear you say that because I’ve been pretty diligent but just out of no where noticed it today when I got home from work.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your help. I do notice the spot on both sides of the fish can’t say they’re identical but close.

This particular fish and all but my two clowns I got from Dr Reef. I didn’t further QT after that which since then I’ve learned I should at least do observation. Again I’m new. The clowns did 15 days copper/swapped tank for 15 more days in copper and then 2 weeks of prazi pro. They were my first two fish so I would assume if they were the issue it would have come up sooner.

However I haven’t added any new fish/inverts to the tank in months. And all corals that I have added were in my fishless coral tank for 3-4months.

I’m happy to hear you say that because I’ve been pretty diligent but just out of no where noticed it today when I got home from work.
Thanks - IMHO - the path forward is careful watching - and if anything suggesting worsening - but not another disease - I would try a broad spectrum antibiotic. If it looks like parasites are involved - might do a re-quarantine. I do happen to trust @Dr. Reef /s methods.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All my fish were either QT’d or bought QT’d. No new additions in months. Also QT all my corals, however I am a new reefer (about a year now) so can’t say I didn’t make mistakes.

Today noticed on both sides of my tomini’s body there are these white spots. Not sure if it’s just an injury because it’s skiddish and hides a lot when I’m near the tank or something worse. Doesn’t look like ich from everything I’ve read.

I’m hoping just bumped itself but do have a tank to setup to QT if it’s something worse.

IMG_6643.jpeg IMG_6642.jpeg IMG_6641.jpeg IMG_6637.jpeg
Looks to be bite marks and suspects are the clowns but can also be from rocks if it were startled as they do spook easily. assure they do not get red or sore. If so, treat with seachem Neoplex in a separate tank Consider next time you feed to set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time. Review the video and see who it may be as well as seeing if its scratching itself in your absence which would be due to flukes - If present

OP
OP
R

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help! I will continue to monitor the fish and if anything changes I will check back.

I assume it’ll take a few days at least to heal so I’ll monitor and pay attention with some video at feeding time. Though I will say that Tomini is the biggest bully in the tank for sure. You guys are great thanks again for the insight!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see any evidence of ich either. In one of the pics the tail and fins look super clean. Spot looks like injury as mentioned above. I would keep an eye on it for now. If it starts to get worse then antibiotics will be needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. The spots are basically gone now so must have just been an injury like you all said! Thanks again for the help!

Back