Tomini tang swimming at the bottom

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Tomini tang from a member of my local reef club yesterday. He had the fish for 3 months before he sold it to me and only got rid of it because his purple tang was bullying him. I put him into my tank last night at 6pm, right as my lights were dimming down hoping that would keep him from being startled. When I got up this morning, he is staying in the rockwork and staying so low to the ground that his fins are touching the sand. Is this normal? Could he be doing this because he was just sleeping while the lights are off and when the lights come on he will swim again? I’m probably overly safe because I bought a yellow tang from my LFS and he was sick from the moment I got him and didn’t last 3 days. I thought it was my fault, but the store had their entire saltwater system with disease. Anyways, hope it’s nothing, but please let me know.

TominiReef250

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Completely agree just let him settle in. Plus he was bully so he might be a little stressed out. I think in one week the little guy will be up and running the tank picking away.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank y’all for making me wait before worrying. He is out all the time now. He still hids at night I guess, but other than that, he eats when I provide food, which is different from the last tang.

TominiReef250

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tomini tang hide at night too.. But he runs my tank during the day time.

20170928_182233.jpg

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See you have a tomini tang with a sailfin. I have a sailfin and was thinking of adding a tomini did you ever have any issues?

I have the same but with a kole tang in the trio and it works fine, although if the sailfin was in first like mine was there will b a little fight for a day or two but they settle down quick

TominiReef250

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I never had problems with them too. But my tomini tang hates my starry blenny, I'm guessing because they both pick off the rocks and both are territorial and could be aggressive.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty normal for koles, at least, to have beef with blennies. Mine had been a terror, keeping the blenny from eating until he was pretty emaciated, but after several tank-transfers together, they're good. Blenny is almost obese now . . .

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly normal behavior for new arrivals. Also, mixing tangs in general is best done in batches. If not tangs, similarly shaped fish with similar diets usually work (butterflies and even angels).

Social acclimation boxes are good if that’s not an option. It’s never a guarantee, but mixing genus, especially if you have a low number of total tangs, is best.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomini, even having grown an inch since purchase, is still a GIANT CHICKEN and will hide in the blink of an eye in its little half-cave in the back of the rock work. I wouldn't worry about it hiding for now; new fish, new tank, as long as it's eating and not exhibiting detrimental health behaviour. It should ease into the tanks groove once comfortable.

Love the look of them, hope you enjoy yours!

Back