OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang man lol

You sure didn’t overdo the display surface area by a country mile :)

That’s one of the lower surface area reef displays I’ve seen, well done on the nsa scape. Very nice, very clean, and officially the lowest surface area reef tank I recall seeing. Heck I thought you’d have a 260lb saxby reef wall stack in there like most of us do
1000013669.jpg
1000013668.jpg

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take on this is actually the opposite. Early aquariums and reefing many used wet/dry filters pretty much same concept as your biospheres. optimize surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow in order to process fish waste/bioload. Problem as we progressed we realized this was really efficient and this created a "nitrate factory" where we started to have to increase water changes to dilute this buildup when keeping inhabitants that preferred a lower range of nitrate. Thus all the awesome DSB, PLENUMs, Nitrate reactors. etc.. We used to shoot for super low nutrients (nitrate) and now full circle modern thoughts we realize the coral actually use these nutrients for food and prefer a fair amount of nutrients.
I too am running BB and also minimal rockscape now but also added some (probably less than you have) live rock to the sump and some in tank to seed it. I have contemplated adding more Biosphere type media to my sump but really i ask myself why? Tank is cycled. My belief the nitrifying bacteria growth initally exponential then will reach a equilibrium. I personally dont belive removing or adding media with have any really adverse affects at this time. Only reason I think it could benefit you is to prevent detritus from building up on media by allowing more flow in sump. The algae you are seeing is likely part of your tank maturing.
Cool scape BTW, Looking forward to your tank growing out!!
cheers
Thanks, I don’t really have any Detritus build up as I run a roller mat and a gyre mode each day to effectively back flush the tank into the weir. As before I’m really struggling to raise the nutrients. Just checked and my no3 is 0.7 and po4 is 6 ppb.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria convert ammonia into nitrate, can't have too much. Given the minimal display, I might leave the balls if they aren't causing problems. If you want more nitrate, you would have better luck bypassing the roller(somewhat) for a while. Unless you can slow down the advance speed so the detritus can break down some in water to raise nutrients

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria convert ammonia into nitrate, can't have too much. Given the minimal display, I might leave the balls if they aren't causing problems. If you want more nitrate, you would have better luck bypassing the roller(somewhat) for a while. Unless you can slow down the advance speed so the detritus can break down some in water to raise nutrients
I did wonder about this. Maybe I should take it offline for a week and see what happens.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that particular design makes it nearly impossible for a tank to get old tank syndrome. ots is a catchment/retention of waste condition in the reef

that above is a clean/fast/throughput system design u can keep it ageless by keeping the system free of waste accumulation, unlike sandbedded systems. no bare bottom reefs get old tank syndrome I've ever seen over the decades.

the spheres still won't affect anything you can measure is the bet. Even that very conservative degree of live rock usage is plenty for the bioload but it wasn't a runaway train's worth of surface area like normal that's for sure

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that particular design makes it nearly impossible for a tank to get old tank syndrome. ots is a catchment/retention of waste condition in the reef

that above is a clean/fast/throughput system design u can keep it ageless by keeping the system free of waste accumulation, unlike sandbedded systems. no bare bottom reefs get old tank syndrome I've ever seen over the decades.

the spheres still won't affect anything you can measure is the bet. Even that very conservative degree of live rock usage is plenty for the bioload but it wasn't a runaway train's worth of surface area like normal that's for sure
That’s what I was hoping for. I have decided to dose a little more ammonium chloride throughout the day and monitor my nutrients. If I still struggle I may take the roller mat offline for a week and see what happens. Thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to link your thread here to my article on OTS control in reefing even though that wasn't your point here today :)

my system is really thriving too on Randy's ammonia dosing idea I'm happy with it too.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed the fish more. No3 and po4 will rise and the fish will like it.
The filter roller will handle it and the fish and corals, if you have them, will like it to.
Practice heavy in heavy out and have a plan when no3 and po4 get above the levels you have established.
Get some quality pellet food, I like Fauna Marin, and get a plan. No need to dose chems at this point, imo.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been keeping reef tanks for 40 years so what do I know but I'd feed more, much more, before I'd start dosing anything to raise nutrients. Feed what's consumed without a significant amount hitting the bottom of the tank, unless you have bottom feeders, and do it several times a day.

Taking the roller mat out for a couple days or slowing it down will also give you a better idea of how well the rock and other media is handling the bio load.

Hopefully Randy will elaborate on why he things you should reduce the media.

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to link your thread here to my article on OTS control in reefing even though that wasn't your point here today :)

my system is really thriving too on Randy's ammonia dosing idea I'm happy with it too.
Ok thanks, I will keep updating what happens. I have mixed up ammonium chloride 20g/400ml and start dosing 5ml a day across 6 intervals.i have ordered ammonium bicarbonate as I think that is preferred from what I have read. I will measure my nutrients over the next couple of days. I will also keep adding the 2 scopes of phosfeed as per instructions to raise po4 somewhere between 0.05 and 0.1. I will also up my feeding a bit.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been keeping reef tanks for 40 years so what do I know but I'd feed more, much more, before I'd start dosing anything to raise nutrients. Feed what's consumed without a significant amount hitting the bottom of the tank, unless you have bottom feeders, and do it several times a day.

Taking the roller mat out for a couple days or slowing it down will also give you a better idea of how well the rock and other media is handling the bio load.

I will do thanks

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, they're neutral impact.

Reason why: all reef tanks on this site are grossly beyond the tanks bioload needs for surface area
You absolutely cannot state this as fact, it is merely your hypothesis. The cited 60 page thread is not a scientific study or anywhere close to qualifying as one.

Reality, making any major changes certainly has the potential to disrupt biological (and chemical) balances as things find a new equilibrium.

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only thing with feeding so much, will It feed/fuel potential pest/aglae?

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back