Too much return?

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a COR20 on my 100 gallon DT, 34 gallon sump (it's trigger sapphire 34). Whenever I do any sort of dosing, I generally just say 100 gallons.

I've been having a problem with high nutrients. For example, my phosphates yesterday were 0.34ppb (Hanna ULR). I run GFO mixed with Carbon in a reactor connected to a manifold, but that doesn't seem to really do much. I also have a UV on the manifold, Clarisea roller mat, refugium, and a reef octopus e-essence 130 skimmer. I've been dosing 3ml of phosphat-e each day, and as long as I'm consistent, I can maintain it in the 0.1s.

ANYWAY, I was running my COR20 at 70%, and the manifold puts out roughly 350GPH on the UV, and very low GPH on the carbon/gfo reactor. I was thinking upping the COR % would mean more water through the clarisea, skimmer, and refugium. Is there any downside to more turnover? That's the question haha.

Thanks,
Justin

Existence295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a COR20 on my 100 gallon DT, 34 gallon sump (it's trigger sapphire 34). Whenever I do any sort of dosing, I generally just say 100 gallons.

I've been having a problem with high nutrients. For example, my phosphates yesterday were 0.34ppb (Hanna ULR). I run GFO mixed with Carbon in a reactor connected to a manifold, but that doesn't seem to really do much. I also have a UV on the manifold, Clarisea roller mat, refugium, and a reef octopus e-essence 130 skimmer. I've been dosing 3ml of phosphat-e each day, and as long as I'm consistent, I can maintain it in the 0.1s.

ANYWAY, I was running my COR20 at 70%, and the manifold puts out roughly 350GPH on the UV, and very low GPH on the carbon/gfo reactor. I was thinking upping the COR % would mean more water through the clarisea, skimmer, and refugium. Is there any downside to more turnover? That's the question haha.

Thanks,
Justin
Hey Justin,

you really want to strive for 6-10x turnover in your tank. More is always better as it allows your filtration to catch more debris out of water. Just keep an eye out when running GFO and increasing flow as you don’t want to bottom out your nutrients.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you increase and not out run the drain.
Yea, I have a gate valve on my main overflow, that doesn't seem to be an issue. I just wasn't sure if there's any problem with adding more turnover.. might seem dumb to question lol

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down the water through the UV to increase water contact time in front of the bulb, then I would separate the carbon from the GFO. Try just the GFO in the reactor or layer them with sponges at least. The carbon might be grinding your GFO into powder limiting it's effectiveness.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back