Top fin aquariums

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if top fin aquariums (petsmart) use tempered glass? Unfortunately they don’t know.. I’m aware about the polarized sunglasses test but I’d like to avoid a trip if I can.

I found out the hard way that
Aqueon (petco) tanks are tempered… it was an honest mistake but I was told that they’re not and took their word for it. As soon as my drill hit the glass, explosion.

This is a 75 gallon tank that I’m going to use to expand my sump.

bgray98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t be 100% but I have a 75g topfin and I’m pretty sure only the bottom is tempered.(that’s where the sticker was) My LFS said that I could drill the sides. So I think it can be drilled but I’d like to see others respond if possible

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t be 100% but I have a 75g topfin and I’m pretty sure only the bottom is tempered.(that’s where the sticker was) My LFS said that I could drill the sides. So I think it can be drilled but I’d like to see others respond if possible
What’s scary is that aqueon had the same sticker on the bottom haha. Dr. Google told me that aqueon is tempered and top fin is not, but they weren’t official sources and also products can change over time

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s scary is that aqueon had the same sticker on the bottom haha. Dr. Google told me that aqueon is tempered and top fin is not, but they weren’t official sources and also products can change over time
Email the builder company

Filler13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No progress made.. and a rubbermaid stock tank it is!
The top fin 75 does have a tempered bottom only. If a tank has a sticker saying that that part of the tank is tempered, I would not trust it. Tempered glass is required to have it's data etched into it. That goes for lami also. Look at the back right corner and you should see the etched info.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news on if the sides are tempered? I just bought a 75 gal Topfin and want to drill the back but am worried it might be tempered.

Very tempered ha.. it basically exploded. i wouldn’t try drilling it. I have several tanks worth of experience and unless you have specialized equipment, I definitely wouldn’t try it.

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very tempered ha.. it basically exploded. i wouldn’t try drilling it. I have several tanks worth of experience and unless you have specialized equipment, I definitely wouldn’t try it.
Im going to try the glasses test on the front and back panels of my Topfin today. Hoping that one of them is not tempered so I don't have to return the tank.

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know once you find out I want to drill the 40 breeder

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be very surprised if they’re non tempered. All the ones i look at at the stores say they are.

Also, just like with my experience be mindful that just because it only says tempered on the bottom doesn’t mean that the sides aren’t as well

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing with a polarized lense is the only easy way to know for sure. The commodity tank companies usually won't tell you for certain if a tank is drillable because they will occasionally use a piece of tempered stock in locations other than the bottom just because they have the material on hand.

I have heard quite a few stories of someone drilling an Aqueon or similar tank and find out it was tempered when several other people have drilled the same model tank before.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update I drilled my top fin this morning with no issues! According to the glasses teat even the bottom isn’t tempered.
Nice, like the above post mentioned I wonder if they attach whatever glass is available in their inventory without regard to whether it’s tempered or not

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the 40 breeder topfin it worked!

IMG_5519.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back