OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of updates.... The little DC pump for the ATO didn't seem to like the increased head (( around 5 1/2 feet )), and would need to be reset every other day. Going on the assumption that the head pressure was the cause, I moved the inflow back to the sump. If it doesn't need to be reset that was the cause, if it happens again, I will have to contact BRS and see what they say. Might have to have a costume ATO reservoir made, want one to hold around 20 gallons, which would give me about 10 days. Normally wouldn't need that much, but have a few trips planned and don't want the tank sitter to have to worry about that aspect.

Received a different reservoir for my 65, it is being leak tested now, plan on having it running in a couple of days.

Had a local reefer over last Wednesday, gave him some live rocks that I wasn't planning on transferring over to the new tank. With less rock in the 75 I was able to catch 3 of the 5 fish in there. They made the transfer perfectly -- eating like pigs. I also moved a couple of "clean" rocks from the 75 to the sump, and one to the tank. Going to move over a couple more pieces and transfer whatever else I am keeping over in the next week or 2 and start to take down the 75.

Some pictures of the fish -- not the best pictures, but wanted to show the fish.

DSC_0358_zps2c8d51fe.jpg

DSC_0360_zps4850ec63.jpg

Right before he ate the piece of food in front of his face.

DSC_0361_zpse760cc39.jpg

DSC_0363_zps53cfb942.jpg

DSC_0365_zps165b1824.jpg

All 3 of the transfer fish hanging out

DSC_0366_zps815f2186.jpg

What

DSC_0367_zps2e8692fa.jpg

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another water change last night --- still figuring out what is the best way --- the top of the tank is just about the level of my armpit, so getting the "gravel vac" in there can be a bit difficult. I had picked up a new one with a longer wide section (( will try to get a picture tonight )), which works better, but it might be too long. Also, the hose that came with it was kinked, so I picked up a new one from Menard's, but it might be too wide, the flow was pretty fast. Sure I will get that all figured out in time.
I found some "better" filter socks -- not at long as the BRS ones -- on Amazon, that fit my sump better. I will go through the longer ones I have and switch over to the newer ones. At that point I will try my hand at washing them. First time using socks, like how they are keeping the sump cleaner.

Picked up a couple 150 ml graduated cylinders so I can calibrate the doser. Really don't need to start dosing, but my Alk levels keep dropping -- think the Marco rocks are sucking it up. So, I will set up the doser to dose all 3 (( Alk, Cal, and Mag )), but but RO/DI water in the Cal and Mag containers.

Built Prototypes I and II to cover the light hanging brackets that stick out of the canopy -- fairly happy with Prototype II, though will make a few tweaks. Not supper important, but I like using the power tools. :)

A few pictures from before the water change.

Fuge section of the sump --- transferred over from the 75 which is pretty much empty -- just some anemones

fuge_zps8fedf997.jpg

One of the 2 lights over the fuge -- the second one is behind and higher up. There is a cross brace to the stand, I put a strip of wood onto it, and the lights (( along with the clip on fan )) are clipped onto it. Zip tied them in place in case they come free -- won't fall into the water ))

sump_zpse66c506b.jpg

Skimmer working nicely

skimmer_zpsca316af3.jpg

The in/out flow for the BRS reactors (( Carbon and phosban )), used an APEX probe holder, prefect fit

reactor_zps94df02f7.jpg

A PVC tube (( with a 3 way elbow at the bottom )) for the ATO water to pour into --- less splashing and less noise. The ATO tube can't be any lower or it will siphon out until output level and the water level are equal.

DSC_0400_zps55cc34ee.jpg

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the S. haddoni from the 75 over to the new tank on Sunday, seems pretty settled in --- need to get a few pictures of it.
Just need to sell the remaining LTA and it will be time to take down the 75.
Give away the 2 E. quadricolors in exchange for some $$ and a boatload of beer that can only be purchased in Wisconsin --- in my mind I got the better deal.

IMG_0736_zps5c54dfba.jpg

And now just a few pictures of the fish.

3amigos_zps2aca5638.jpg

squirt_zps4b052028.jpg

DSC_0381_zps8c8a3a48.jpg

DSC_0379_zps6db3d357.jpg

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is lookin good! And it's GREAT to see some life in there!

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is lookin good! And it's GREAT to see some life in there!

Thanks. It is really nice to be eating dinner at actually seeing fish swim --- though I sometimes zone out and don't pay attention to what the GF is saying -- oops.

Sweet!! Spotted Cow! Wish I could get that in LA...

It is oh so good. Tried 2 new ones -- the Apple Ale and the Honey Bock, pleased with both. Plan on going to the brewery (( and taking a tour )) sometime this Spring/Summer.

Did another water change last night, getting easier each time.

Even washed a filter sock last night, looks pretty good. Though, I have to figure out a way to store the dirty ones in a way that doesn't stink up the place so that I can wash more than 2 at a time.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has happened, just letting things run. Though I am trading for a couple of corals -- getting rid of the last part of the 75, and will start to take it down. After the corals come (( Saturday )), the tank will be left as is --- going to be going out of town for a bit, so don't want to doing anything too much to the tank.

The other day I was sitting at the dinning room table doing some work and took a poor video of the tank with my phone. Just the last 2 T5s were on, so the color is a bit off.

[video=youtube;P9n0Drcm_3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9n0Drcm_3Q[/video]

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been darn near 4 months since I have touched this thread...

All is going well with the tank, but I haven't done anything with it -- besides water changes and maintenance.

Did manage to get to Europe for 11 days (( mainly Austria )), and had a great trip. Also had some quality beer,

IMG_0907_zps95ldkogp.jpg

Had zero issues with the tanks, it was nice to check in with the APEX to see how things were going. The tank sitter just fed the fish every other day, and filled up the ATO reservoirs.

We are seriously thinking about moving/building a house. Which is good for us, but not good for a 210 gallon tank. The new place will have a basement, but won't be finished off right away, and the basement will be the final resting place for the tank.
Really don't want the tank up and running before the basement is finished, since it wouldn't be a trivial matter to move it during the construction of the finished place. In addition, will be selling the current place first, and spending time at either my folk's place, or her mom's place. Don't want to move the 210 multiple times, let alone have it set up at one of their places.

So, I will have to end up taking it down at some point in the next 6-9 months, so I am just letting it run with no new additions. Overall I am happy with the way things are set up, and wouldn't change much --- though I plan/hope on having a room behind the tank (( not going to do an inwall, like having 3 sides visible )) so some things will move to that room -- mainly the ATO reservoir, APEX and the GFO/GAC reactors.

***I plan on keeping all the existing equipment. However, I am thinking of selling the tank itself, and getting a new 210 when the time is right. Figure moving/storing one will be a PITA, plus chances for damage are greater --- THOUGHTS?***

I still have my 65, and plan on keeping it. Though, in the near future I am going to take it down and sell off all the live rock and some of its inhabitants. Plan on getting a new sump for it, and setting up an Herbie. This tank will be moved to the temp housing (( haven't decided if my folks place or her mom's -- both are relativity close together, so space will be the main deciding factor )) and hold the few things I plan one keeping. For sure the C. venustus, C. multicolor and my blue S. haddoni. Will have to make some tough choices for the others. Would be hard to sell my green S. haddoni that I have had for nearly 10 years now.

TL/DR --- answer the *** ... *** question. Thanks.

OP
OP
Trex

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To wrap up this thread. The last fish was moved yesterday. All that is in the tank is water and sand. Will start draining tonight.

I currently have my 75 set up at my future mother in laws place. I put a piece of egg crate to separate it into 2 tanks. One side houses my Coral Beauty and Flame angels. The other side had a Flameback angel, Venustus angel, a pair of clowns and a goby. So far everybody is behaving and the tank is running really well.

My 65 is empty and will be moved to her sister's place (( just to store it )). The 210 is going to be sold -- just the tank itself. Plan on keeping everything else for that tank and setting up another 210 in a couple of years when the basement of the new house is finished. As of right now, somewhere at the end of this picture will be the tank with a room behind it for its related items;

83980861-DD7F-4EB5-BFAB-FF993F696E35_zpslejsam3o.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back