Trident is loud :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the reviews and comments, I was hopeful that the Trident would truly be quiet when enclosed. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.
It is inside of my Reefer 350 cabinet - right side - and it is extremely noticeable when running (constant pitch up/down sounds for 10-30 minutes). My tank is very quiet at night (35db) - with just the pumps as a background hum. When the Trident comes on it is very obvious and distracting. Maybe it will break in somewhat and get a little quieter, but we'll see. Or maybe I'll have to build an enclosure for it. :(
While I like the unit so far, I wanted to warn anyone who expects to have this in the bedroom or living-room (even enclosed in a cabinet) and expect it to be silent. All the more unfortunate that we can't limit the testing to waking hours only - though I suppose we can program the outlet?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the reviews and comments, I was hopeful that the Trident would truly be quiet when enclosed. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.
It is inside of my Reefer 350 cabinet - right side - and it is extremely noticeable when running (constant pitch up/down sounds for 10-30 minutes). My tank is very quiet at night (35db) - with just the pumps as a background hum. When the Trident comes on it is very obvious and distracting. Maybe it will break in somewhat and get a little quieter, but we'll see. Or maybe I'll have to build an enclosure for it. :(
While I like the unit so far, I wanted to warn anyone who expects to have this in the bedroom or living-room (even enclosed in a cabinet) and expect it to be silent. All the more unfortunate that we can't limit the testing to waking hours only - though I suppose we can program the outlet?
This was a concern of mine, my aquarium is in my kitchen, approximately 10-15 feet from bedroom. Do you have a dos? Is it as loud as it or louder/quieter?

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. That’s very noticeable. My aquarium is on the other side of the bedroom wall and I can easily hear the dos when it works on the slowest setting. This definitely puts a damper on my wants for it. I also don’t have space in the stand and was planning on putting it on a shelf next to the tank...

Thanks for the review. This is really good to know.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My large tank is in the living room, so it’s not an issue. But TBH having it in my bedroom tank might pose an issue...

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a concern of mine, my aquarium is in my kitchen, approximately 10-15 feet from bedroom. Do you have a dos? Is it as loud as it or louder/quieter?
I have BRS dosers and it is much louder than they are. The BRS dosers click a bit at startup, but when running they are just a little louder than the pumps - but white noise in general. I almost got the DOS but heard it was noisy as well so held off.

Ursala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is disappointing to hear.

Lovebay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is super quiet! I have absolutely no problems with mine being loud. Mine is in my bedroom 5 feet from my bed.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is super quiet! I have absolutely no problems with mine being loud. Mine is in my bedroom 5 feet from my bed.

Could you give a few more details? Like, is yours in an enclosed space or out in the open, your testing frequency and what kind of noise it makes (if any)

Lovebay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sits under my 180 gallon tank in an enclosed stand. I test 4 times a day. I have a little bit of a unique situation. I'm a quadriplegic and I'm in my bed most of the time. My tank is 5 feet away from my bed so I hear the Trident go off every time. You can barely hear a very little tiny wine but that is very quiet compared to the MP 40s. Actually, even my fx230 that kicks on every 30 seconds is louder. My DOS are louder. The auto top off Trickle is even louder.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you heard an Alkatronic? Talk about loud....I can hear the Alkatronic run almost anywhere in my 4200 sq ft house. The Trident I can hear up to about 15 feet away, and only the r2d2 noises compared to the entire process of the alkatronic. It is MUCH quieter than the DOS pumps as well.

It's not silent by any means, but I don't have mine enclosed in anything and I find it MUCH less intrusive than the Alkatronic and even the DOS.

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sits under my 180 gallon tank in an enclosed stand. I test 4 times a day. I have a little bit of a unique situation. I'm a quadriplegic and I'm in my bed most of the time. My tank is 5 feet away from my bed so I hear the Trident go off every time. You can barely hear a very little tiny wine but that is very quiet compared to the MP 40s. Actually, even my fx230 that kicks on every 30 seconds is louder. My DOS are louder. The auto top off Trickle is even louder.

Interesting...My MP40's (2 of them) are very quiet when I run less than 50-60%, and the Trident is much louder than they are...Maybe a manufacturing variation?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...My MP40's (2 of them) are very quiet when I run less than 50-60%, and the Trident is much louder than they are...Maybe a manufacturing variation?

I would totally disagree with the other poster. I have two MP60s, a huge skimmer, old fashioned overflow; and the trident is EASILY heard. It basically sounds like R2D2 is in your stand lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back