Triggerfish - scrapes or something else? Also, transferring to new tank

jmorales89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a male and female blue throat triggerfish and occasionally notice white marks on them. I've seen it before, and in the past, I've simply assumed they are scrapes because they heal in a matter of day(s), are only on the triggers, and they do not behave unusually--no scratching or erratic swimming. There are no serious signs of aggression between them aside from an occasional chase, and no other fish harass them.

I found them rather worse today than usual. Anyone think this is something I should be more worried about? E.g., does it look like a disease?

Also, I will be moving them all to a new setup in the next few weeks. I suspect someone has already written a good resource about this, so links are appreciated, but is there a process or dip I should use to prevent (or at least minimize) possible hitchhiking diseases from getting transferred to the new setup?

They're in a 125 G FOWLR. Tankmates are a dwarf fuzzy lion, snowflake eel, couple clownfish, marine betta, lineatus rabbitfish, some BTAs and small cleanup crew and a longspine urchin. All happy and healthy. Parameters are stable, system is about 4 years old, nitrates are stable but a little high at ~20ppm. No other history that I am aware of of disease.

IMG_2449.jpg IMG_2450.jpg IMG_2452.jpg IMG_2442.jpg IMG_2443.jpg IMG_2444.jpg IMG_2445.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I first read - without seeing the pictures - I thought 'aggression' - And that still may be the case. The concentration of 'lesions' on the top of the head of the one fish makes me think of other things = I'm going to ask @Jay Hemdal before making mention

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all, I have a male and female blue throat triggerfish and occasionally notice white marks on them. I've seen it before, and in the past, I've simply assumed they are scrapes because they heal in a matter of day(s), are only on the triggers, and they do not behave unusually--no scratching or erratic swimming. There are no serious signs of aggression between them aside from an occasional chase, and no other fish harass them.

I found them rather worse today than usual. Anyone think this is something I should be more worried about? E.g., does it look like a disease?

Also, I will be moving them all to a new setup in the next few weeks. I suspect someone has already written a good resource about this, so links are appreciated, but is there a process or dip I should use to prevent (or at least minimize) possible hitchhiking diseases from getting transferred to the new setup?

They're in a 125 G FOWLR. Tankmates are a dwarf fuzzy lion, snowflake eel, couple clownfish, marine betta, lineatus rabbitfish, some BTAs and small cleanup crew and a longspine urchin. All happy and healthy. Parameters are stable, system is about 4 years old, nitrates are stable but a little high at ~20ppm. No other history that I am aware of of disease.

IMG_2449.jpg IMG_2450.jpg IMG_2452.jpg IMG_2442.jpg IMG_2443.jpg IMG_2444.jpg IMG_2445.jpg
These guys tend to wedge into rocks and startle easily and looks like scrapes on the body. not much you can do in adding anything for healing and pimafix and stress coat does not work.
Approach the tank slowly especially if fish are newer.
As for head are on both, appears to be lymphocystis but cant expand pics to get clearer look as it may be bacteria lesions also.
What is current ammonia and nitrate levels and what food are you feeding ?

Last edited:

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back