Tropic Marin (NP-Bacto-Balance & Red Sea- NOPOX) are they the samething?

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, fellow reefers, I have made a gradual transition to Tropic Marin and all of their items/programs, but currently still have some Red Sea items in use (NOPOX) on an auto doser. I recently purchased the NP-Bacto-Balance, along with the Tropic Plus-NP, and honestly wanted to know if that is the same as the Red Sea NoPox?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, fellow reefers, I have made a gradual transition to Tropic Marin and all of their items/programs, but currently still have some Red Sea items in use (NOPOX) on an auto doser. I recently purchased the NP-Bacto-Balance, along with the Tropic Plus-NP, and honestly wanted to know if that is the same as the Red Sea NoPox?
I love Tropic Marin...wish I could get more of their products here

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar but not same. NOPOX uses vinegar and vodka that feed all bacteria (short chain polymers). NP-bacto and Plus-NP uses long chain polymers that supposed to target beneficial bacteria that gets consumed by corals. Also European carbon dosing is intended to feed corals (bacteria consumes the carbon and in turn bacteria gets consumed by corals). NOPOX is mainly for nutrient control and you skim the bacteria away. If you decide to use Tropic Marin do follow the instructions and start at 1/4 the dose and go from there. Good luck.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar but not same. NOPOX uses vinegar and vodka that feed all bacteria (short chain polymers). NP-bacto and Plus-NP uses long chain polymers that supposed to target beneficial bacteria that gets consumed by corals. Also European carbon dosing is intended to feed corals (bacteria consumes the carbon and in turn bacteria gets consumed by corals). NOPOX is mainly for nutrient control and you skim the bacteria away. If you decide to use Tropic Marin do follow the instructions and start at 1/4 the dose and go from there. Good luck.
Thanks for the explanation and yes, I am going to use them (tropic Marin), the NP-Plus and the NP-Eliminate both arrived along with the NP-bacto...following the instructions as listed.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used both Elimi-NP and Bacto Balance. Their use is based off of your PO4 levels. For high PO4 use Elimi-NP and once they get back down to "normal" or NSW levels, then Bacto Balance helps to keep them there. Lou talks about this in his live stream with Reefdudes.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation and yes, I am going to use them (tropic Marin), the NP-Plus and the NP-Eliminate both arrived along with the NP-bacto...following the instructions as listed.
Here is a handy chart on when to use the various products.

Attachments

• B58969FE-7C3A-4682-B99C-FD48E00D12C5.jpeg
    B58969FE-7C3A-4682-B99C-FD48E00D12C5.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 1,087
OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a handy chart on when to use the various products.
For some reason, my nitrates does not go as high as BRS recommends (Phos 0.03 -0.1 and Nitrate 1.0 - 2.0) before using NP Bacto-Balance....I am still using the NP-Plus at 1 mil daily for a week from zeroing out on the phosphates for a while in a 20gal...Phosphates have come up to the acceptable ranges, but the Nitrates are still not there...But this chart focuses on the PO4 only...Should I start using it?

Tested Yesterday FEB 27th 2022 (2pm hr)

Nitrates: 0.14ppm (Hanna)
Phosphates: 0.03ppm (Hanna)
ALK 8.01 (Trident)
CAL 406 (Trident)
MAG 1256 (Trident)

20Gal AIO Nano

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.Phosphates have come up to the acceptable ranges, but the Nitrates are still not there...But this chart focuses on the PO4 only...Should
I would use the Plus NP until phos is at 0.05 and change at that point. You could also start to dose Bacto Ballance at 1/4 dose and swap gradually over time.

If you want to increase Nitrate you could use TM Amino Organic or feed more.

I also attached Hans Werner take on Phosphates and Nitrate, creator of the TM products. I would try to increase Nitrate just a bit, just don’t force it.

Attachments

• A2C92FAC-2745-4880-BB5D-6FD81F945FDF.png
    A2C92FAC-2745-4880-BB5D-6FD81F945FDF.png
    345.7 KB · Views: 832
OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the Plus NP until phos is at 0.05 and change at that point. You could also start to dose Bacto Ballance at 1/4 dose and swap gradually over time.

If you want to increase Nitrate you could use TM Amino Organic or feed more.

I also attached Hans Werner take on Phosphates and Nitrate, creator of the TM products. I would try to increase Nitrate just a bit, just don’t force it.
Awesome...I will follow the guidance

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back