True, False, or somewhere in between: Does blue light limit nuisance algae?

Does blue light limit nuisance algae?

• Blue lights limit all types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Blue lights limit many, but not all types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 77 27.6%
  • Blue lights limit some algae and make way for other types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 37 13.3%
  • Blue lights don’t limit nuisance algae.

Votes: 144 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.3%

• Total voters

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Blue light “Limit” anything? Not like A strong UV light can “limit “ things.

If it makes you uncomfortable or angry and you shut the light off then perhaps it does?

Lots of people post about Loving or Hating the Windex spectrum shift in the hobby, and if folks left the hobby and tossed their tanks in the dump I think that may have limited algae growth in that tank.

So it does seem possible, but there is only a limited number of possibilities that make sense and I don’t think we have touched upon them here so far.

So blue light is unlimiteless , and someone needs to go wipe my algae now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does Blue light “Limit” anything? Not like A strong UV light can “limit “ things.

If it makes you uncomfortable or angry and you shut the light off then perhaps it does?

Lots of people post about Loving or Hating the Windex spectrum shift in the hobby, and if folks left the hobby and tossed their tanks in the dump I think that may have limited algae growth in that tank.

So it does seem possible, but there is only a limited number of possibilities that make sense and I don’t think we have touched upon them here so far.

So blue light is unlimiteless , and someone needs to go wipe my algae now.
I think this is correct. Blue is not unlimetless. I mean even the article the other person posted said macro algae can live at up to 250 meters depending on water clarity.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2024-01-30-19-02-40-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure, first I never said it was the conclusion. And, it still doesn't change the fact that different spectral components influence photosynthesis within different producers.
Btw - I apologize I'm not wanting a debate - per se - but - here is a question. Let's pretend everything you have said is true about depths, colors, etc. Lets pretend we can make a reef tank (not the open ocean) - with the spectrum of 75 feet - The question is - if you just added bare rock (Live or dead) - will algae (whether red or green) - grow? If so it's a moot point right?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SO - I'm going to rephrase. So - we have a tank favoring blue - This would suggest that 'pests' would be of a red-algae type. If we have a white tank, we are more likely to have a green algae pest - meaning - who cares if its a red or green pest?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So blue light is unlimiteless , and someone needs to go wipe my algae now
Are tanks are generally less than a meter in depth.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always found it fascinating that algae is said to "bloom", and with terrestrial plants it's the red end of the spectrum that typically triggers flowering plants to bloom, whereas the blue end of the spectrum tends to facilitate vegetative growth.

When I started my tank I ran pretty much all blue. While trying to find anything on the "red hair algae" that started to take over and finding nothing, I ended up turning white lights on and realizing it was green hair algae that'd taken over. That GHA absolutely thrived under only blue light.

I think there is going to be algae that thrives under different spectrums, so long as it's other needs are met. I also think that the clearness of the water and intensity can affect algae, since yellowing of water can affect what spectrums make it through and intensity will further complicate that.

All sorts of fun variables. I don't think I could tell someone that any one color of light is going to limit algae growth with a straight face.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the red component of the spectrum is pretty much gone within the first 25 m of ocean depth.
Actually the red end of the spectrum is filtered out by 10 meters.

I think this "Question of the day" is incomplete. A better question, IMHO, would be.

Are light spectrum and photoperiod major contributors or limiters of nuisance blue algae ?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say with certainty that coralline algae likes Blue spectrum light better than white. I am sure hair and other algae would thrive more with white, which has greater PAR. If you matched the blue light spectrum PAR with White PAR it would probably be near the same growth rate.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found the so called nuisance algae such as hair algae, spot algae, diatoms etc don’t really care what light colour spectrum/temp they grow under they will always be opportunistic if given no predation, plenty of nutrients, light energy and no competition.

In my refugium I experimented with expensive LED’s designed for reef tanks, plant grow light pink/red/purple and cheap flood lights designed for the garden. The macro algae outcompeted the nuisance algae in the refugium under all of these lights. But to see the lovely shades of green, blue and red I prefer a spectrum closer to natural daylight.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    103.4 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back