True or False: All tangs (surgeonfish) need at least a 6ft tank to thrive.

BR12349

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it really depends on the amount of live rock that is in it. I have a 110 gal with 2 tangs in it for 2 years and they were both in a 55 gal. before that for 3 years. I do agree that sometimes people try to push the limits because tangs are such great fish to have and they end up putting too many in their tank.

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to jdaven22 for a very interesting and informative link that makes sense. I question if a four foot tank such as a 75 is big enough but plan one tang in each of my future 75's and may put two in my 180 (8' X 18" X 24"). Most of my friends have 6' tanks with two or three tangs in them and I wonder if more than one in a six footer is worse than one in a four footer? I understand that type and size of tang and amount of swimming space make a big difference in the animal's welfare but do not accept that it must be a six foot tank and then it is ok to put three or four or more in it.

cba191

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a 60g cube (24x24x24) but would love to get a Kole. Is that a bad idea? I don't want to get a fish that's gonna be mad at me.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my powder blue for 5.5 years and my tomini for 6. First few years it was a 110g, the rest in a 150g, both 4'. I was concerned about the powder blue not growing, until people with much older powder blues and much larger tanks reported no growth as well. My tangs aren't aggressive to any fish in the tank, and look great, so I think they are "thriving"...

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a 60g cube (24x24x24) but would love to get a Kole. Is that a bad idea? I don't want to get a fish that's gonna be mad at me.
IMO, yes, that is a bad idea. The kole is the only one I think is really suitable in a 4' tank (75G-120G), 2' is too small. I have a 30x24x24 75G tank and also a very open standard 4' 60g and I wouldn't put any tang in either. JMO of course.

cba191

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, yes, that is a bad idea. The kole is the only one I think is really suitable in a 4' tank (75G-120G), 2' is too small. I have a 30x24x24 75G tank and also a very open standard 4' 60g and I wouldn't put any tang in either. JMO of course.
Ok then. How about a marine betta? I love those guys!

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if its true or false. What I can say is I had a yellow, a purple, a blue and a Tomini tang in a 4ft 120g and did not even have fights. They were not full sized and maybe I was just lucky so I would never recommend it I am just stating my experience

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False. My yellow tang is over 12 years old, spent the first 6 years of its life in a 55, the last 6 years in a 65, and has always been healthy. I call her my tank cop, if two of the other fish ever get to spatting, she puts herself in the middle! I know it sounds weird, but I've seen it quite a few times, LOL. I've had it the entire 12 years, and its about 5 1/2 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail, eats like a horse, and is close to one inch thick at its thickest behind the eyes, "shoulder area".

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False. My yellow tang is over 12 years old, spent the first 6 years of its life in a 55, the last 6 years in a 65, and has always been healthy. I call her my tank cop, if two of the other fish ever get to spatting, she puts herself in the middle! I know it sounds weird, but I've seen it quite a few times, LOL.
talk about bringing a post back from the dead..... 7 years old now

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
talk about bringing a post back from the dead..... 7 years old now

Pretty interesting though to see how advice and thoughts have changed so much in such a short period of time though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty interesting though to see how advice and thoughts have changed so much in such a short period of time though.

Has it though? Maybe just a lot more inexperienced people making questionable choices…….

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it though? Maybe just a lot more inexperienced people making questionable choices…….

I feel like it has looking over so many similar advice threads over the years. I feel it's certainly gone in a good direction. And that might be due to less inexperienced people now a days making bad choices (Or maybe it's all those people who made all those bad decisions back in the day being much wiser now giving sound advice) but I still see lots of threads with wildly overstocked tanks or very very poor fish selections for there set up so I don't think the volume of inexperience has decreased (Which is also a good thing, we always love to see new reefers afterall:))

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the fish itself. Its like humans. some like to live in mansions and some would prefer a nice little cozy house. If the fish looks happy and is healthy then obviously they are ok with the tank size. who are we to tell the fish what they should like lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think of it in terms of what 'can' be done versus what 'should' be done. While there are some tangs that I have put in 4/5' tanks, it is not ideal - and I hate a cramped look to my tank. Also depends a bit on the age/size - though we all know the likelihood of 'I plan to have a bigger tank' thing :D. Cramped fish are cranky fish. I have an 8' 450 and there are tangs I'd not keep. I also think it funny how much people anthropomorphize their fish. Always makes me chuckle.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think of it in terms of what 'can' be done versus what 'should' be done. While there are some tangs that I have put in 4/5' tanks, it is not ideal - and I hate a cramped look to my tank. Also depends a bit on the age/size - though we all know the likelihood of 'I plan to have a bigger tank' thing :D. Cramped fish are cranky fish. I have an 8' 450 and there are tangs I'd not keep. I also think it funny how much people anthropomorphize their fish. Always makes me chuckle.
Are you saying that animals shouldn't be treated like humans? im not saying the fish is able to poke its head out and say hey I don't like this tank but they cant talk so we shouldn't be able to say nope your not allowed in a tank that small. Im not saying putting a tang in a 20 gallon tank is ok either but if your within reason and the fish is happy and healthy why is there an issue? we are all in this hobby to raise and take care of healthy animals.

ps. im not bashing your comment in anyway way I just love debating lol

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a giant difference between a 6ft standard 125G tank and say a custom 4’x3’x3’ tank. I’d say most fish and tangs would be happier in the 4x3x3 than a cramped 6ft 125.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to dig around for the article posted much earlier in this thread but wow it was an interesting read and still challenges the current thoughts on tank size for tangs. Definately worth a read I think

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like there are several ways to answer (in my case all of the scenarios result in "false":

1. I would answer 'False' because most people believe (I think) that some of the smaller tangs do fine in smaller tanks (than 6 feet).
2. I would also answer 'false' because as several people have said - a 8 foot long tank that was 12 inches wide would not be good for a tang - so I dont think the '6 foot long' is the key thing.
3. I would also answer 'false' because I think that its a 'myth' that tangs need a 6 foot tank or a 250 gallon tank or whatever to 'thrive'.. IMHO. Ive read that tangs shouldn't really be kept (at all) - because in the wild they have a wide range and except for a very very large tank shouldn't be kept (if there are other arguments - territoriality, etc someone let me know).

EDIT: The point I was making was that IMHO its a poor argument that the range of a fish in nature defines the size of an aquarium they need (whether a tang or any other fish). I was only wondering if other people had 'other reasons' not to keep tangs in general.

If we were going to follow this logic then no one would keep a giraffe or elephant or lion, etc in a zoo (and some people think that zoos as a whole should be banned BTYW). I would say 'the bigger the better', have plenty of swimming area, and have plenty of hiding places to avoid 'stress'.

BTW - lots of the fish we keep are territorial, have a large range - I always wonder why people are so focused on 'tangs'. Especially since people fish for them extensively (to eat) - and I'd rather have a living yellow tang in perhaps a smallish tank - than dead on someone's grill. (PS I have nothing against fishing or eating fish). I have more of a problem of people taking rare (as compared to tangs) fish and putting them in tanks at all.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back