Tunze ATO - aftermarket replacement pump

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

I am trying to connect a Tunze ATO to my 220 gal reef aquarium. The setup is a bit complicated and all equipment in the basement with large sump and tiger shark return pump. The issue I am running into is the 50 gal RODI barrel is at least 10 feet away so seems that the pump is not strong enough and water is very slow. My question is if it is possible to connect a stronger pump to the unit and if anyone has tried this with success? And if it would be 12v or 24v DC pump I should use if I was to replace the small pump that the unit ships with.

Any advice and suggestions greatly appreciated it!

Attila

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,

I am trying to connect a Tunze ATO to my 220 gal reef aquarium. The setup is a bit complicated and all equipment in the basement with large sump and tiger shark return pump. The issue I am running into is the 50 gal RODI barrel is at least 10 feet away so seems that the pump is not strong enough and water is very slow. My question is if it is possible to connect a stronger pump to the unit and if anyone has tried this with success? And if it would be 12v or 24v DC pump I should use if I was to replace the small pump that the unit ships with.

Any advice and suggestions greatly appreciated it!

Attila
There is a new upgraded pump for the Osmolator the high Jet that is more powerful than the original pump. It has a max head of 20ft. (Keep in mind you can increase the pump power by opening the control box and adjusting the internal dial.)

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, awesome!! I had no idea of a more powerful pump. I will order for sure. Appreciate the quick response :)

Undersea Gardens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I have mine pumping up about 10ft to the ceiling and then travels about 40 feet to my tank. No issues and been about 5 years. It is a bit noisy but not an issue as it's in the laundry room.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, awesome!! I had no idea of a more powerful pump. I will order for sure. Appreciate the quick response :)
Let us know how it works. I have been wanting to try it out on my personal unit but I also have a hard time justifying replacing a perfectly functional and fine ATO Pump. When mine eventually dies I will swap it for the High Jet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back