Turkey moray attacked by tessalata emergency

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i want to be straightforward i ordered a turkey moray or the whitemouth moray for my 210 gallon with the tessalata, the turkey moray arrived whilest i was heading to college so I didn't have proper time to introduce them properly so I ended up just adding the turkey moray in and book the tessalata just bit him really bad i took him out put him in the bucket treated the open wound with methylene blue and added him in the sump because as I said I really didn't have time because of college it was just really bad timing for now he looks ok so I wanted to ask what I should do, set up a new aquarium for it? Or try to reintroduce them again

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tessalata eel is about 30 inches and the turkey or the whitemouth moray about 24 inches

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So i want to be straightforward i ordered a turkey moray or the whitemouth moray for my 210 gallon with the tessalata, the turkey moray arrived whilest i was heading to college so I didn't have proper time to introduce them properly so I ended up just adding the turkey moray in and book the tessalata just bit him really bad i took him out put him in the bucket treated the open wound with methylene blue and added him in the sump because as I said I really didn't have time because of college it was just really bad timing for now he looks ok so I wanted to ask what I should do, set up a new aquarium for it? Or try to reintroduce them again
With eels, be prepared for emergencies with quarantine tank and meds. In lieu of methylene blue, I recommend general cure or ruby rally pro and heavy aeration with air stone.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a very small window to introduce a new mate to a tessa, I fear now this window is closed. Methylene is not the best chemical to expose to an eel. I would use this opportunity to set up a true hospital tank, with no porous material. The best treatment for that wound is a broad spectrum antibiotic, like kanaplex or one you prefer. Eels are very resilient and some wounds can heal on their own with good water conditions and a fresh diet, you will have to determine how serious the wound is. Nutrition plays a key role in the immune system and recovery, and bacterial infections establish due to poor water conditions. My injured predators would get live fish like mollies and fresh seafood stuffed with Hakari marine carnivore pellets, which are high in vitamin c.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a very small window to introduce a new mate to a tessa, I fear now this window is closed. Methylene is not the best chemical to expose to an eel. I would use this opportunity to set up a true hospital tank, with no porous material. The best treatment for that wound is a broad spectrum antibiotic, like kanaplex or one you prefer. Eels are very resilient and some wounds can heal on their own with good water conditions and a fresh diet, you will have to determine how serious the wound is. Nutrition plays a key role in the immune system and recovery, and bacterial infections establish due to poor water conditions. My injured predators would get live fish like mollies and fresh seafood stuffed with Hakari marine carnivore pellets, which are high in vitamin c
Thanks so much for the advice I always feed my tessie squid shrimp with head and shell on always soaked in multivitamins and stuffed in algae wafers so he's really active and always coming out whenever I am near the aquarium I will do the same for the whitemouth moray I also usually take smaller squids and fill the sack with multivitamin soaked pellets and feed the squid whole with the head to the eel as for the seriousness of the would there's a line of open wound 2 lines to be exact the width of the wound is about half a inch I guess once I head to home I will set up a new hospital tank and try to get another tank for the whitemouth i probably should've first got the tessie out rearrange the rocks and put them both together

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some api melafix laying around should I use it till I get some metronidazole or other antibiotic tablets? If i don't find metronidazole I thought of using Amoxicillin unless it's too harse

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with eels, but my recent introduction experiment may still be beneficial. I have a 180 gallon system. My larger fish are: 4 yellow tangs, 1 Kole, 1 Tomini, 1 blue tang, 1 foxface and 2 anthias. I obtained a copper banded butterflyfish for aiptasia control. The 4 yellow tangs and the Kole immediately began to harass the butterflyfish. The blue tang, Tomini, foxface, and the anthias ignored the butterflyfish. I dropped in an "eggcrate" divider splitting the tank 2/3 and 1/3. I needed to spread out my larger fish so the bullies plus the foxface went on the larger side and the remaining fish plus the butterfly on the smaller side. I left the divider in place for 2 months. (Longer than I planned, but I was away on vacation about the time I would have released them and did not want to be gone when I did). After pulling the divider there was minimal posturing and by the second day all of the fish were ignoring each other. Eggcrate works well as flow was minimally impaired and my smaller fish swam right through the divider.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some api melafix laying around should I use it till I get some metronidazole or other antibiotic tablets? If i don't find metronidazole I thought of using Amoxicillin unless it's too harse

I can't give a definitive recommendation on those choices, I can give my thoughts. At this point whatever you use will be preventative, under good water conditions an infection will likely not occur, Amoxicillin is a dominant gram positive antibiotic but also does contain gram negative. You would have to figure out what a safe dose would be. Melafix is like us using peroxide to clean a wound, how effective that really is, is anyones guess. Justmake sure to have proper filtration and keep water quality very clean.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home and thought of giving it a final try to see that maybe it was my fault in the beginning the second try I removed the tessie rearranged the rocks and put them both in, it worked for a few minutes until tessie got in his territory again and after that they both were looking intensely at eachother so that's where my net came in to scoop the turkey before anything else happened I guess I am gonna be making a new tank for the turkey it's probably gonna be for the better I don't have any thoughts of returning an injured eel since it's my fault so I will try my best to care for him I also did realise why it didn't work out, the tessie was twice as big as the turkey the lenght may be almost the same but the tessie was way fatter and wider so that makes sense

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wound was a lot bigger yesterday but here's the picture of the wound today it looks like it's closing its unbelievable how fast they heal

Attachments

• 1701912205997.jpg
    1701912205997.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 65

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wound was a lot bigger yesterday but here's the picture of the wound today it looks like it's closing its unbelievable how fast they heal

I was going to ask how it was and tell you how amazingly they can heal. That wound doesn't need anything other than clean water and it will heal on it's on. Have you got them eating yet?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask how it was and tell you how amazingly they can heal. That wound doesn't need anything other than clean water and it will heal on it's on. Have you got them eating yet?
I tried feeding him squid yesterday and he took a little nose sniff but didn't eat it figured that it might take maybe 2 to 3 days i thought that it would eat since my tessie arrived day 1 and he literally swallowed a whole big shrimp but yeah not all eels are the same

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy how fast eels heal! My snowflake was bad when she arrived (no clue what happened to her) but healed up in line 3-4 days. Glad your eel is okay! This is what mine looked like

Attachments

• IMG_2685.jpeg
    IMG_2685.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys so much for the help and advice here's the update

The eel is still in the sump the new aquarium for it is gonna be fully ready tomorrow I tried feeding him he didn't eat I figured that it's because it can sense the tessie in the water and that probably still is stressing him out as for the wound I tried searching for it and I didn't find it so now I don't have any worries about an infection I will try to feed it once he's in the new tank

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys so much for the help and advice here's the update

The eel is still in the sump the new aquarium for it is gonna be fully ready tomorrow I tried feeding him he didn't eat I figured that it's because it can sense the tessie in the water and that probably still is stressing him out as for the wound I tried searching for it and I didn't find it so now I don't have any worries about an infection I will try to feed it once he's in the new tank

While his experience and present conditions can certainly inhibit him from eating, once he is established in his new home, don't let it go too long. Eels can come in with internal parasites which would also inhibit eating. The treatment would be general cure. In some occasions you may also have to offer live food as a trigger to a feeding response. Mollies would be the preferred food for this eel.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While his experience and present conditions can certainly inhibit him from eating, once he is established in his new home, don't let it go too long. Eels can come in with internal parasites which would also inhibit eating. The treatment would be general cure. In some occasions you may also have to offer live food as a trigger to a feeding response. Mollies would be the preferred food for this eel.
Absolutely, i just set up the rock structure in the new tank and I will be heading to the fish store tomorrow to get some sand, I will buy some freshwater mollies in the process so that once they are in saltwater there won't be any diseases I don't even know if I wanna get another eel for the tess but well I guess I see it for the future next time I will make sure the new eel is as big or bigger than the tess that would certainly improve the chsnces

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once he gets established in his new home i will certainly not let it go without food for too long because even my tessie in his hunger strike only went for atleast 5 days without food and thus this is a smaller eel I am pretty sure going for more days without food is gonna be either a sign or is gonna harm him and i wanted to say you were right about their growth I fed my tess 2 big ole shrimp yesterday with shell and head on yet he wants more the next day the day I brought him home around 6 months ago he was quite small but now he's growing so much i believe it's literally 1 to half a inch every month

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Melafix is a tonic made of teak tree oil and not a treatment and is rendered useless in Freshwater what says saltwater environment

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing about eels, in the wild when mature they are solitary. Whille in captivity there can be cases of success, there are also many failures in the long term. Juveniles will many times be agreeable, many times only short lived. Tank size obviously plays a role, and maybe even sex. Unless in a very large aquarium, more than one male may be a no go from the start. If you have a male tessa coming into maturity, this could be a no go, especially if you introduce another male. I don't think there is a way to visually sex eels. People are going to have more success with some species, fang tooth eels are more risky, because they can do deadly damage easily.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back