Turn off ATO during water change?

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a smart dual sensor ATO.

Do you all turn your ato off during a water change to prevent it from turning on?
What do you do with your ATO during water changes?

Thanks!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a tip for those of you who use the Tunze 3155. When doing a water change or when the water level drops during maintenance, etc.. simply use a small rubber band to hold the safety shut float valve in the closed position (up) (as if there's too much water to prevent the unit from turning on). This keeps you from unplugging the unit and restarting it and activating the self priming cycle. When finished with the water change, simply remove the rubber band.
If you have a brightly colored rubber band, then it's a bright reminder to remove it when you're finished.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a tip for those of you who use the Tunze 3155. When doing a water change or when the water level drops during maintenance, etc.. simply use a small rubber band to hold the safety shut float valve in the closed position (up) (as if there's too much water to prevent the unit from turning on). This keeps you from unplugging the unit and restarting it and activating the self priming cycle. When finished with the water change, simply remove the rubber band.
If you have a brightly colored rubber band, then it's a bright reminder to remove it when you're finished.
I probably wouldn't remember, lol.
Apex simply shuts it off and turns it back on for me. 100 gallon system won't miss a beat for that little bit of extra water.

Aquajamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you all turn your ato off during a water change to prevent it from turning on?

Thanks!
I have water changes programmed in my Apex so I definitely shutdown the ATO along with the heaters, ALK & CA dosing, and Kalk reactor.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't remember, lol.
Apex simply shuts it off and turns it back on for me. 100 gallon system won't miss a beat for that little bit of extra water.
110%.
using the sliders on the apex instead of pulling plugs was the main reason i sprung for an apex. 7 years later its been invaluable for that purpose and many others

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pull the plug for the pump. Not sure how you can do water changes, in a sump, without turning it off.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
I have the Duetto ATO on my reef tank. I simply unplug the pump cord but leave the "brain" portion plugged into the wall. That way it can't add freshwater once the water level drops. It starts beeping after a few minutes but after I drain and refill the tank I just hit the button and it goes right back to normal.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back