Ultimate fish room set up

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I’ve posted here but it’s time to call in all the fish heads for some help. Little back story before I get to the point. Getting towards the end of blue prints with my architect/engineer. I designed my future house to have a flush mount tank in the wall looking into the kitchen and have a 8’x10’ fish room (10’ wall for tank). House is slab on grade, post and beam construction and again I had the architect/engineer design the tank/fish room into the house so please save me the slab/electrical/water comments. I attached a 90% approved print of the house for reference. It should be noted the door to the fish room in the attached photo is getting moved so I have that 10ft wall to work with and the ceiling above the wall is 8ft tall.

I’ve had a successful saltwater tank for 15+ years ranging from a biocube to a 220g, fish only to a SPS dominant tank. So I wouldn’t say I’m inexperienced or new to the game. Also attached is a photograph of my current 90 gallon cube set up. Nothing crazy, working with the space I currently have and low maintenance. I can find photos of all of my previous tanks and post them if someone requests. Yes there is some green ciano but that’ll happen when you have your first kid and don’t do a water change for 12 months lol No fish or corals died in those 12 months just to give a reference on my experience level.

Some things that I’ve already decided I’m gonna have but actually applying and installing is still TBD. Those things are floor drain in slab, fresh and saltwater holding drums, gfo and carbon reactors, UV filter, ozone reactor (installing from the get go so it’s there if the need arises that I need to use one of more of them), dosing pumps, skimmer, various electric valves rated for saltwater so I can do a WC with the press of a button or on a schedule on the controller, automatic feeder, closed loop system for circulation, lighting is TBD (it’s either gonna be LED, T5 or a hybrid of both), refugium is TBD, dedicated QT tank(s), additional saltwater tank plumbed into the system for extra water volume is TBD (thoughts are that I can drain from this extra tank for WC’s as opposed to draining out of the sump or display tank. Possibly be able to do a water change without shutting the return pump to the display off) and tank dimensions are TBD. The goal is to have the tank as automated as feasibly possible and the fish room be extremely egomaniacal to work on stuff.

I’m thinking a 8ft long tank but again is TBD. Should noted I’m looking at a custom tank with my desired dimensions. Sump doesn’t have to be custom, it can be a manufactured tank that I can fit to my needs. I’ve always set up and installed everything on my tanks and don’t plan on changing this.

Now that is out of the way I’m looking for some ideas from those who have dedicated fish rooms and how they are set up as far as plumbing, wire management, sump set up, controller set up, lighting set up….etc. Pictures would be best and would be greatly appreciated! Need to figure out this stuff sooner rather then later so stuff can be possibly put into the blue print and/or ran/installed before the slab is poured and walls closed with drywall.

I would like to see what everyone else did so I can pick and choose what I like or would work best for me for a lack of better words. If you made it this far, sorry for the novel lol I tried to be as detailed as possible so I don’t get a bunch of comments off topic from what I’m looking into assistance for. Sorry if I came off as rude or snobby that was not my intention. If there’s something I didn’t think of please let me know because I would be more then happy to listen! Thank you in advance!

IMG_4986.jpeg IMG_4708_Original.jpeg IMG_4987.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still probably years away from my own ultimate fish room, but from my many years in IT/data centers I might suggest looking at battery and/or generator backup from the outset. Looks like a fun project - best of luck!

OP
OP
Anthony Wood

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still probably years away from my own ultimate fish room, but from my many years in IT/data centers I might suggest looking at battery and/or generator backup from the outset. Looks like a fun project - best of luck!
Probably won’t have one for a couple years after the house is being built but the line is being run and pad being poured ahead of time so I can buy a whole house generator and be plug and play. Should probably look into humidity control and my options lol just though about that. I’m doing radiant floor heating and those wall mounted A/C units so there isn’t gonna be any duct work.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably won’t have one for a couple years after the house is being built but the line is being run and pad being poured ahead of time so I can buy a whole house generator and be plug and play. Should probably look into humidity control and my options lol just though about that. I’m doing radiant floor heating and those wall mounted A/C units so there isn’t gonna be any duct work.
At least if you rough-in the wiring or allocate space for it you'll be ahead of the game. A dehumidifier or HVAC is probably a good idea as well.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly what you are doing. I basically designed my house around the aquarium and fish room I wanted. I did a full 4 side display and ran the plumbing through wall and into fish room with everything I could think of. I have floor drains, tile floors, lab/testing area with sink, quarantine area, large salt and fresh water holding tanks, an attached 105g mangrove/ coral/ refugium tank, a separate 165 frag tank, humidity controller in the ceiling that's automatic, and have enjoyed building and learning from it all. Unfortunately I may be moving and don't know what I'm going to do with all of it. My main display is 8ftx3ft and custom made by waterbox. One of their only custom tanks built. 3/4 starfire on all 4 sides. I have a custom light system I built with T-5 and 10 ecotech G-5. I've never been interested in posting or even taking pics that much but i do have a few on my phone from random stages that i will attach on next post from phone. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a few pics from post above

Attachments

• 20220603_173438.jpg
    20220603_173438.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230803_184325.jpg
    20230803_184325.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20230803_184255.jpg
    20230803_184255.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220603_173513.jpg
    20220603_173513.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220603_173454.jpg
    20220603_173454.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 95

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m currently designing my equipment room and my plans are completed. I have decided where all the mounted equipment, controllers and electronic devices will be located. This helps me as I have decided I want all the wiring hidden in the walls. I have drawn out where the conduits for wiring and water lines will be, where the sump will be located, sink location, mixing station location, workbench and cabinet design.

After you decide where you want everything, you can decide on floor drains, exact placement of electrical outlets, water spigots in the walls etc. Be sure to run Ethernet and have enough dedicated electrical circuits.

Some other Ideas I am implementing are placing plywood under the drywall on 2 walls that I will be mounting a lot of equipment, placing a decorative FRP on some of the walls that will get exposed to water, epoxy the floor, installing a dehumidifier and exhaust fan, having a cement lip of 3-4 inches go all around the room in case of flooding, a linear floor drain located around 3 walls with a slope towards the drain,

smklaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on mine now
Floor drain, tile to tank stand height, 4"step down where filter equipment will go, wood behind drywall on walls, power outlets up by lighting location
I am sure I will have missed something, especially since the house build has been almost 3 yrs

Attachments

• IMG_4916[1].JPG
    IMG_4916[1].JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 69

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back